FIRST IMPRESSIONS VORTEX 6.5-20 x 44 PA

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
VORTEX VIPER RIFLESCOPE 6.5 – 20 x 44 PA

Having received a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 PA riflescope in the mail yesterday for review from Antony Goyen at Vortex Australia. I could not help but do a quick comparison with my Leupold Vari X-III 6.5-20 x 40, even before mounting them up and commencing range and field testing.

I opened the Vortex box to find a scope which appeared solidly constructed and well finished, also included was a Vortex labeled cloth and solid scope covers. A lifetime warranty card, which does no more than explain that the item is covered for life regardless of number of owners, and does not need to be filled in or returned was also included as was a set of instructions for use.

The Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 44 PA as received

A quick inspection revealed that the Viper scope was of similar length to my VX-III despite having a larger tube and front objective lens than the VX III. The overall weight difference is only 4 ounces which is not relevant to anyone but Benchrest shooters who must find the 4 ounces somewhere else in their rifle.

The Vortex Viper and Leupold VX III side by side, the Viper is slightly larger due to its 30mm tube

Further investigations found that the Vortex scope adjustments are finger adjustments on tall target style turrets making them very easy to use. I found the elevation and windage adjustments to be very positive with clear audible clicks. They are able to be reset to the zero point after sight-in, this allows for easy return to your chosen zero point should you make adjustment in the field.

The side focus adjusts from 50 yards to infinity and is smooth and easy to operate, allowing for fast focusing from the firing position. This is a marked advantage over scopes with the adjustable objective on the front bell in my opinion.

The Vortex Viper 6.5 – 20 PA adjustments are positive and easy to use

The magnification adjustments on the Viper are controlled by a knurled ring with a very positive thumb bar (see below) which I found very easy to locate and use without having to search for it from behind the scope. Its movement is smooth and easy making adjustment a breeze.

Vortex Viper and VX III magnification adjustments the Viper having a large thumb grip

Having a quick look through the Viper showed a clear sharp image with a good field of view. The Fine plex crosshairs are thicker than those on the Leupold III, but are easy to see and will not be lost in the background as some of the very fine crosshairs can be. Field and range testing will show whether they are too thick, although I feel confident they will be excellent for hunting and spotlighting, target shooting might be beyond the crosshairs but as I say we will see.

The Viper also has a second focal plane reticle which is particularly beneficial with a reasonably thick crosshair. The second focal plane reticle is an advantage in a variable scope in my opinion. If the reticle is located in the first focal plane, the reticle size will change according to magnification setting. As the Viper has the reticle located in the second focal plane it will remain constant and not change regardless of the magnification setting.

The clarity of picture at low light was excellent and was clearly superior to the VX III. That said the Viper has a 30mm tube and 44mm objective giving it an advantage in light gathering ability during those low light periods of dawn and dusk. Further checks during the day showed very little discernible difference between the Vortex Viper and the Leupold VX III.

If there is a winner, I cannot at this early stage say which scope it is. Any advantage would be only a slight one. As such I will not make a call as yet as to which I think is better, until the scopes have been mounted and compared on steady rests. The Lifetime transferable warranty applies equally to both scopes so there is no advantage there to aid in splitting them.

The only area in which I feel either scope has an advantage is in price. The Leupold VX-III 6.5-20 x 40 retails for anywhere between $1000 – $1100 in Australia depending on where you get your price whilst the Vortex Viper in 6.5-20 x 44 will sell for about $790. imilar Weaver and Sightron scopes also retail in the $950 - $1100 market depending on model.

A quick check of specifications revealed little difference between the Vortex and the Leupold VX-III AO (current model)

Further information on Vortex Optics may be obtained from the Vortex Australia website opening on the 1st July 2007
http://www.vortexoptics.com.au
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

Great report Rinso, I'm lookig forward to the 'test drive' summary.
Many thanks
the WOOB
Tempo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 204

Post by Tempo »

Rinso

Good review, sure looks like a quality scope.

Tempo
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

This Vortex jobbie is sounding better all the time mate - I reckon my Leupold 6.5-20 is going to end up on my Annie .17HMR and the Rem XR100 will be wearing one of these Vortex scopes.

Thanks for the write up mate, and thanks to Antony for making it possible.
Vortex AU

Vortex

Post by Vortex AU »

Thanks to Rinso for taking the time to look at our product and give his opinion. The Vortex Aussie website is active and we will be announcing via Keith shortly something that should interest you all... :wink:
zzsstt

Post by zzsstt »

Just for the sake of clarity, the "VARI-X III" scope is not the same as the "VX-III" that is currently on the market.

The VX-III superceded the Vari-X in 2004 and includes, amongst other things, the "Index Matched Lens System" which gives better light transmission than the Vari-X models.

That being said, it's a good review and looks like it might be a good scope.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Rinso.....would you buy one?.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

kickinback,

For hunting ...Yes mate I would buy one .. I have N/force, Weaver and Leupold scopes and enjoy them all ..

Would I have paid for the Leupolds if these Vortex's were available at the time .. no I would have the Vortex on a value for money basis and also on a quality basis.

Remember I have no affiliation with Vortex and receive nothing for my opinion from them.

cheers
Rinso
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Thanks for that rinso. I am looking at buying a 17hmr and am trying to work out what scope to put on it. Unfortunatly budget is going to play its part but these scopes might be the answer.
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

I like that big thumbpiece on the power change ring, it would be nice in the prairie dog patches on a hot sweaty day. Those Leupolds are easy to slip over when trying to change power.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

glenn,

Yes its very easy to use and if you look at the pic closely you'll see that the indictor showing the scope magnification is facing the shooter so its easy to see what magnification you have dialled on.

I will be shooting it tomorrow and will update the review.

cheers
Rinso
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Nice looking solid scope. Good report, thanks for that. Always another option.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

dave.223,

I have mounted the scope on my M70 Featherweight in 25.06 and done some testing which I will add to the report next week. I will be shooting the rifle and scope at Leeton for fun and to see how the Vortex copes with it.

cheers
Rinso