NEW TOY

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
tikka223

NEW TOY

Post by tikka223 »

saw this rossi .410 at the lgs and got a few ideas, so i purchased it new for the grand sum of $285
cut the sling mounts off , just leaving the studs then drilled them throught with a battery drill(bit dodgey but turned out good, couldnt be bothered setting up the bench drill.)
put the bipod on off my tikka,threw on a butstock holder and bought some winchester solids 1/5(87.5g) oz slug at 1830 fps
going to try it out on some goats andd pigs next week.
cheers
tikka
Attachments
30032010917.jpg
30032010915.jpg
30032010914.jpg
Last edited by tikka223 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: NEW TOY

Post by lowndsie »

Hope your happy with it mate. I'm guessing you'd need to get pretty close for the little 410 to work on goats and pigs. I wouldn't want to try it on a decent sized pig though.

Umm.... do you really think the bipod is needed on a shotgun though? especially at the ranges you'll have to shoot it at. Might make it a bit unbalanced. Anyways, good luck. :)
tikka223

Post by tikka223 »

just mainly for the look but it does add some weight as the 410 is just under 4lbs, also feels more comfortable to unfold one leg and grip it when standing.
yeah mainly to try on goats out to 50 meters and small to medium pigs.
was just looking for something different , something a bit more difficult and it was cheap
cheers
tikka
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

someone once wrote into Uncle Nick about shooting pigs and goats with solids and a 410. He gave them a very stern dressing down.

Good luck
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

trevort wrote:someone once wrote into Uncle Nick about shooting pigs and goats with solids and a 410. He gave them a very stern dressing down.

Good luck
651 ft/lbs muzzle energy isn't good enough to shoot a goat at 50 yards?

Sounds fine to me. Especially considering they shoot bear and moose with a bow and arrow.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

that looks so cool :mrgreen:
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Nah mate. Arrows rely on being razor sharp and slicing their way through, taking veins and vessels with them. Most game hit with a bow bleeds out. A 410 slug doesn't have that advantage... Granted, it'll have more knock down power than an arrow, but I doubt the slug would get deep enough to be relied on.

But hey, whatever works for you!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

lowndsie wrote:Nah mate. Arrows rely on being razor sharp and slicing their way through, taking veins and vessels with them. Most game hit with a bow bleeds out. A 410 slug doesn't have that advantage... Granted, it'll have more knock down power than an arrow, but I doubt the slug would get deep enough to be relied on.

But hey, whatever works for you!
But 650ft/lb of energy is nothing to sneeze at, at 50 yards a chest shot would put down a goat easily. I would have got something like a 44mag in the same config though for that purpose.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

There is a nice savage combo gun in my LGS that would be perfect for your pig/goats shooting. Its a 20 gauge bottom barrel and a 357 mag top barrel. Solids in the 20 gauge for 40 yards, then the 357 mag out to 100. Perfect little piece for that sort i thing. I seriously looked at it but not that many pigs and goats around this area.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Brad, he was also quite firmly against 357 mag for medium game at more than 50m iirc
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

I suppose he would be against a 17HMR to the head of a pig too? Whoops but it worked. What about the guy in sporting shooter who went on a deer hunt and used his 204? Everyone has thier opinions on what works best. Sure nick harvey has alot of experience shooting, but the man isnt god and my money would be that he has shot things in the past with less than ideal calibres.
r_j_t1982
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .204r

Post by r_j_t1982 »

sometimes you just use whatever is at hand when chance presents itself, but you never plan to be "undergunned".

its like buying a 22lr for 300m target shooting.... it will hit the target (sometimes), but youd be better suited with a centrefire.

as for putting a bipod on a single shot break open rifle.... :mrgreen: