Ultrafire WF-008 "recoil LED" torch

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
MAWLER

Re: Ultrafire WF-008 "recoil LED" torch

Post by MAWLER »

andrewk wrote:
fenring wrote:Yeah, can't go too far wrong for that money.

The torch just comes in a plain box with a carry strap. Deal Extreme sell the chargers and the 18650 batteries to go with it - so for about $60AUD you can set yourself up with the torch, charger, two batteries and a basic mount for scope / barrel mounting.

I'll be interested in how it stands up to field use and being left on for a couple of hours, and real effective runtimes. My Eagletac can run at full whack for about three hours on the same battery as this thing.
yeah i found my wolfeyes runs for about 2hrs but i reckon it drops off light wise towards the end. i notice the difference with battery changes in the field. it's great on my 22lr with subbies, that set up doesn't tempt me into taking shots too far out past reliable hits. on the hummer it seems to limit me a little bit as to what you can spot and get a good shot at. doesn't light bunnies eyes enough or give you enough definition of target out past 90-100meters and we know the hummer is capable of more. :wink:

basically looking for a hummer torch.

maybe a sealoin down the track if there are centerfire worthy

Exactly what I am experiencing. The WE is perfect for subbies @50m but I want something to light them up out further for the HMR and Hornet. I was thinking of just jumping straight up to the sealion for those applications. maybe this little sucker can get me clearer 100m shots and also help decide the spread vs beam debate i am having for the bigger (more $$$) sealion and deerlight options.

Any word on a tape switch for this yet badger?
fenring

Post by fenring »

Ran it for a solid 3 hours last night, still going strong at the end.

Mawler, if you are after an awesome thrower, the Tiablo A9 with the additional aspheric collimator head is apparently a throw monster.

But for $30 this Ultrafire is da bomb.
badger74

Post by badger74 »

MAWLER wrote:
Any word on a tape switch for this yet badger?
Yep, it arrived last night.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1025
A member here, Choppy2925 suggested this one, and as he mentioned, it doesn't cover the O ring, but works. Its also black rather than the anodised silver of the torch, but who cares.
McDave
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Post by McDave »

been waiting for my DX packages to start arriving. got a card in the post box yesterday from the postie. gotta hate knowing a new toy is sitting there waiting for you, and you can't get near it till the weekend!
fenring

Post by fenring »

Bummer!
McDave
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Post by McDave »

Finally got to the Post office today and collected my Ultrafire.

for the money, very happy indeed.

ordered in the torch, the batteries, the charger, the soft and hard mounts and the pressure switch.

I can confirm that the below pressure switch fits (and works!) on the Ultrafire WF-008

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1025

hope to test it in the field this weekend.

Dave
badger74

Post by badger74 »

I finally got to field test the recoil reflector last night. A small property south east of melbourne that hasn't seen any shooting for a few years. Its a stud farm and the rabbits are so bad that both grazing paddocks are riddled with rabbit warrens, and a horse broke a leg in one last week.
I started out right on dusk, and proped myself behind a nice height fence post, and could see around 20 rabbits in the first paddock. As I really wanted to try out the torch, I just watched for about half an hour, untill it got dark.
I had the torch mounted to the scope with rubber/velcro mount, with the tape switch held to the stock with a couple of the kids elastic hair ties. First shot at about 50m, resulted in rabbit No. 1 doing the circus act for a couple of seconds. This torch is so focused that at 50 m the beam is only a couple of metres wide! Unbelieveably, this first shot resulted in about half a dozen rabbits sitting up having a look at what was going on. I popped three more in about 20 seconds, before the rest got the idea that it wasn't a good idea to hang around.
Second paddock, same result. Longest shot would have been at about 75, and was lit up as clear as day. The throw of this torch is so good, that a couple of times I was temped with much longer shots than I could hope to pull off with the .22 subs, but these rabbits were so dumb that I could just switch off and walk to within 30m or so.
I ended up with 9 rabbits to take home for the dog, about 6 that managed to flop themselves back down a warren, and 5 in another paddock with a substantial electric fence around it. (they stayed in there)
I guess I was spotlighting for about two hours, and the battery was still running strong. The only thing that annoyed me with this setup, was my torch is a three mode, meaning first click is full beam, second is half strength, and third is strobe. A single mode like Fenring's would be a much better setup. I had to cycle through the two redundant modes with my hand over the torch after every use. I also found the rubber mount let the torch move around a little, and because the beam is so focused, it could tend to move the beam out of the scope field of view. I think a hard ring type mount would be better.
All in all a great night, and the torch has to be the best $30 I've spent!

Sorry about the crappy mobile phone photos

choppy2925
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 Ackley Hornet

Post by choppy2925 »

badger74 - you should be able to get rid of that 3 mode by direct driving the light to the battery 18650 (as long as the battery you have is protected). I have already done it to mine as my board burnt out by using 2 * CR123A batteries that didn't agree with the torch. You need a small soldier and it only takes about 10-15 minutes.

I will back home in a week and will post some photos for you on here.

Cheers
badger74

Post by badger74 »

choppy2925 wrote:badger74 - you should be able to get rid of that 3 mode by direct driving the light to the battery 18650 (as long as the battery you have is protected). I have already done it to mine as my board burnt out by using 2 * CR123A batteries that didn't agree with the torch. You need a small soldier and it only takes about 10-15 minutes.

I will back home in a week and will post some photos for you on here.

Cheers
Thanks mate. Some more info on how to do this would be great.
Cheers.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

dammit! still waiting for mine to come :roll:
fenring

Post by fenring »

My hunting mate Troy got his the other day - his was a while coming too. His is the same as mine, single mode.
trapper
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by trapper »

I've got the torch, but didn't realise you can't get the batteries here. Bugger! I've since ordered 2 batteries, a charger and 2 more different torches for good measure!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Badger, is that a TOZ? hows it going?
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

trevort wrote:Badger, is that a TOZ? hows it going?
X1 what Trevrt said? more pics too if you have any. :wink:
badger74

Post by badger74 »

trevort wrote:Badger, is that a TOZ? hows it going?
Yep its the little Russian. I picked it up about a year ago, but havent don't a great deal with it.
Had it down the range a few times, and was reasonably happy with its accuracy. It can shoot 5 cent size 5 shot groups pretty regularly with quality subsonics.
It's supposed to have a floated barrel, but I've noticed mine touches in a couple of places.
I took the action out last week for the first time, and they use a dodgy method to "float the barrell. See pic below

It looks like they have just put thin chip of wood under the action to lift the barrel clear of the stock. I think a basic bedding job would improve things here.

All in all though, for $325 including 4 mags and the adjustable trigger (down to about 3lb) I think it would be a stuggle to find better value. I think their prices may have gone up recently, and if so, the value equation wouldn't look as attractive.