Leupold Vs 338 Lap

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
davegh2o
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x47L ai

Leupold Vs 338 Lap

Post by davegh2o »

Hi,

Does anyone know if a Leupold 8.5-25x50 in good rings and mounts will hold up ok on a 338 Lap?

Will the scope be suseptable to rattling apart with recoil and if so would a Nightforce NXS do any better?

Cheers Dave.
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Re: Leupold Vs 338 Lap

Post by Thomo »

You want to be carefull going to a NF on a 338 LAP, its big scope that weighs alot and is pretty harsh on rings and mounts. There was a local fella sheared his screws clean off leaving his rail attached to his mounts and soem pretty handy work by the smith to get it all sorted.

Not sure about the Loopy, but what sort of recoil figures does the Lap have?

I have seen Loopy's stadn up to some pretty harsh rifles and they are the go to scope (altough much smaller sizes than you talking) for thew real big sticks 458+
davegh2o

Post by davegh2o »

Hey thanks for your reply,

Not too sure about any figures but looking into getting bigger screws through the base to hopefully avoid the shearing effect.

I have a U.S. Optics picatinny rail with Bagder Ordnance rings which should be pretty strong.

I'm not to sure but my vari-x iii looks pretty similar to the mark 4 which which sit on a lot of rifles used by defence and law enforcement, perhaps they have the same internals? Different turrets, and illuminated reticule is about the only thing 'i can spot.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

I can't speak to the Leupold v Nightforce issue.

But do yourself a favour and buy a little bottle of Loctite 609. The 609 goes between the base and the action, holding it to the action with a great deal of strength. With this Loctite, you will not need to loctite the screws in (which does NOTHING for their sheer strength).
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Don't have any trouble with Leupold QR's on my .338/378 or .375 H&H. Nightforce on the .338 and Leupold on the .375. If your Lapua is braked it shouldn't kick much more than a .270 Win anyway.
morerams
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by morerams »

Either scope will handle the recoil without a problem, you just have to be sure as others have said that the mounts are strong, not unusual to see three rings being needed to hold the heavy scopes like the Nightforce on the rifle.
pavlovaw
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 Lapua

Post by pavlovaw »

Hi there, have got a 338 Lap variant built on a Stiller Predator action topped with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 scope. Am using a 20 moa tapered Stiller rail with a Nightforce Uni-mount. It has fired 1500 rounds and has not shown any adverse effect on the mounts. I cant see the Leupold giving any problems, as the rifle I have (about 16 lbs) recoils less than most 300 Win Mag sporting rifles that I have used. But that depends on the weight of your rifle. I am getting 3070 fps with Sierra 250 grain SPBT projectiles.
louie the fly
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 25-06

Post by louie the fly »

I herd a little rumor that the government are trying to ban "military rounds" like the 338 lapua in Australia. They pretty much just wana take rifles and wat not without compensation. Just a rumor though soo don't go quoting me. The thing I don't get though, if it's true why not ban the 223 (5.56) and the 308 (7.62) but anyway just thought i would add that in there.

cheers lads.
r_j_t1982
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .204r

Post by r_j_t1982 »

i read somewhere not long ago that the 5.56 and 7.62 (ammunition and components, rifles and barrels) are actually in a grey area -a very dark grey area- at the moment with the EU announcing its support of the UN treaty/s on trade in military small arms.

the worry is that as the .223rem and .308win are both direct counterparts of military type ammunition and arms therefore it would be illegal to allow any importing/exporting of such "weapons" or parts - chambered barrels etc, ammunition and even empty brass.
aim2please

Post by aim2please »

r_j_t1982 wrote:i read somewhere not long ago that the 5.56 and 7.62 (ammunition and components, rifles and barrels) are actually in a grey area -a very dark grey area- at the moment with the EU announcing its support of the UN treaty/s on trade in military small arms.

the worry is that as the .223rem and .308win are both direct counterparts of military type ammunition and arms therefore it would be illegal to allow any importing/exporting of such "weapons" or parts - chambered barrels etc, ammunition and even empty brass.
I may be wrong, but even though the 5.56 and 7.62 nato are very similar to the 223 and 308, i don't think they are classified as the same cartridge.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

All the Government would need do is have the Department of Defence identify a list of calibers with having a Military application, this could be achieved by specifying energy and muzzle velocity, if I recall correctly a certain segment within the Army at one stage were using Tikka 22-250's.

However, I am certain that the .308 began life as a Commercial caliber for hunting and it was adopted two or three years later by NATO as the 7.62 X 51mm.

Although interchangeable the 308 has minor differences to that of the 7.62 X 51.

Australians are just too apathetic and would probably be more inclined to rise up against the Melbourne Cup being banned as opposed to basic rights being diminished.

Regards

Sean
davegh2o

Post by davegh2o »

Yeah, it's not looking good, i have to sell a rifle i never took home as I may not get a permit to acquire approved. Apparently anything 30 cal and up is undergoing investigation and further information required with permit to acquire. (a lot of information.) I have just been through all of that and am now waiting for a reply.

All of this and no actual word on legislation changes, just whims.

Frustrated,
Dave
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

davegh2o wrote:Yeah, it's not looking good, i have to sell a rifle i never took home as I may not get a permit to acquire approved. Apparently anything 30 cal and up is undergoing investigation and further information required with permit to acquire. (a lot of information.) I have just been through all of that and am now waiting for a reply.

All of this and no actual word on legislation changes, just whims.

Frustrated,
Dave
How did you go with this Dave?

I recently sent in an application for a PTA for a 9.3x74 (.366) Ruger No1. It was in the same envelope as my mates application for PTA to buy my .22 Hornet. My PTA took 10 days longer than his to arrive - when I rang Registry to enquire the guy said it was on 'the Bosses desk' and he couldn't give me any info on when it would be issued.

Looks like larger calibres are definately getting special attention.