Hearing Protection

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Cougardell

Hearing Protection

Post by Cougardell »

Just after a bit of advice about effective and non-expensive hearing protection. What's everybody using? I have been using those cheap foam types of protection which are virtually single use items.

I have been clay target shooting lately and really enjoyed it and would like to do more and believe it would be beneficial to use better hearing protection. Does anyone use the 'electronic' ones?

Cheers,

Garrick
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Re: Hearing Protection

Post by andrewk »

i use the peltor sport-tac earmuffs and they are great. excellent for shot gunning bunnies from the tray of the ute when both driver and shooter wear them, communication is easy to give directions for bunnies, light, driving, reloading and safety too. they are light and not bulky compared to other electronic earmuffs. they are in stereo and have a jack for a mic.

can't remember what i paid but my mate pick them up off ebay really cheap.
Cougardell

Post by Cougardell »

Thanks Andrew, I'll check out the LGS for prices on the Peltors - they seem to get pretty good reviews.

Garrick
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

I have the Sport Tacs also - you are welcome to try them next time we catch up. I am 100% happy with them. I bought mine through an offer on AHN. Very good pricing at the time. Price has gone up a bit now to $187. Here is the thread http://www.australianhunting.net/index. ... ic=48075.0

The Peltor standard shotgunner model work pretty well if you are looking for a cheap option while you save up for the electronic ones.

Cheers, Jason.
r_j_t1982
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .204r

Post by r_j_t1982 »

i recommend these ones:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2765 ... IC_EARMUFF

there is a group buy going on AHN at the moment, but i suggest you check the maths it may be cheaper to buy them direct yourself
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Garrick have a look on Evil Bay there are quite a few on there at the moment under $100.I have 1 pair of Peltor shotgunners and 2 larger peltors that live under the back seat of my Maverick :oops:
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

Have a couple of pairs of peltors including a pair of tac-7's , a few other brands and moulded ear plugs, all I can say is get the best you can afford, you can definetly tell the difference when using them.

Had a medical friday and found for some reason the hearing in my left ear has gone to shit. I have been having regular hearing test for the past 10 years and my hearing in the left ear has always been worse than my right but not to bad.
Always put it down to high powered rifles without hearing protection as a kid. The sudden worsening has me stumped haven't been doing a lot of rifle shooting and have been useing hearing protection religously. Hearing in my right ear is still reasonable only around 15% loss but the sudden increase form around 20% to 70% gone in my left is a worry.

Looks like I will be visiting my GP for a referal for another test to try and find out what is happening.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

i'm losing hearing in my left ear also but still have young (30yrs :shock: ) ears and only 5% gone so far. earmuffs are a must, especially when shotgunning. the report seems to really do more demage for some reason.

anyway, my advice is get the best model earmuffs for the lowest price you can find cos really you can't put a price on your senses.
Cougardell

Post by Cougardell »

Thanks for all of the replies. I got in on a group buy on AHN for some electronic 'muffs - good deal at $95 Aus.

Garrick