exploding inertia hammer

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Flash Gordon
.22 WMR

Re: exploding inertia hammer

Post by Flash Gordon »

I use a collet type puller.
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

Strange one, you must be hard on hammers, I've pulled 1000's and am only on my second hammer, 4th collet though.
The majority have been pistol loads with a heavy crimp are quite hard to dislodge. Got to admit the safety glasses on the loading bench don't always get used.
Only primmer I have had go off was as a 14 year old with a lee loader when I got a bit to keen seating it with the hammer.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Wowzers bet that got the heart rate going.

Never liked the kinetic hammers, broke my brothers :( He now uses a foster tool that is in the press and I have looked into the Hornady one. Alot better and safer I feel.

I was a little kid when the old man had an accident, ended up with 16 pieces of metal in his eye, it was a miracle he survived let alone no major eye issues from the accident. I can still picture the state of what was left of his overalls, and he found the oxy tip 50 meters away years later in Mums vegie garden :lol: :lol:

Ever since having kids I'm alot more carefull to where eye protection and ear muffs working on just about anything these days.

Glad their was no major issue's and amazed at how the powder didn't go off.

Ryan
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

Flash Gordon wrote:I use a collet type puller.
do those collet pullers demage the bullet?
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

I have a collet type also, and it's just as hard to use IMO. You need to get past the ogive of the bullet to get it to work, so forget it for the 204 loaded to factory specs. It works on my 6mmbr as the long bullets really stick out, but in reality I don't rate it much better than the hammer.
john mc
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x47

Post by john mc »

Hi All the powder probabaly didn't ignite because there was nothing to stop the primer just poping out -- no bolt like in a rifle - when we were kids we used to put 303 rounds into a hole in a fence post and from a safe distance shoot the primer with an air rifle -- had lots of primers pop but never once got the cordite to burn --- kids will be kids and play --- john mc :rifle: :rifle:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

andrewk wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:I use a collet type puller.
do those collet pullers demage the bullet?

If you stuff it up they do. I have the hornady cam lock puller. If you do it properly there are no marks on the pills. WCMG is right in that the more of the pill it has to grip the better.
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

trevort wrote: If you stuff it up they do. I have the hornady cam lock puller. If you do it properly there are no marks on the pills. WCMG is right in that the more of the pill it has to grip the better.
Same here, they are a PITA to use on projectiles seated too deep as already stated. I still use my hammer for 22 cal and smaller cartridges. On bigger cals it is much easier and does no damage if you use it correctly.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Knackers wrote: About twenty years ago I cracked a stockwhip in my right eye :shock: shit that was painful, it was like looking through 5 layers of glad wrap for a week and frighten the shit out of me. That being said I never learn though, cause I just had a disk blow up while I was cutting a hole in the wall to put a sliding door in. :roll:
When I was younger I attempted to fire a ball bearing (BB) through a Biro using a very small Bunger as the charge.

It didn't work.

It exploded in my hand with bits of plastic shrapnel flying everywhere and hitting my left eye. I was very very fortunate not to have lost it. I spent 4 hours in hospital undergoing very unpleasant examinations and treatment, fortunately the Retna was still attached.

The following three weeks my eye watered like a tap and I had to wear a patch and apply ointment twice a day.

That was the end of my days experimenting with pyrotechnics.

The eyes are too valuable.

Regards

Sean
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

high speed steel from a grinder will see you hospital in the same state. i managed to get a shard dead center in my right eye. i'm right eye dominant :shock:

healed well and after 3 months the blurry spot went away.
badger74

Post by badger74 »

A few years ago I was doing weld inspections on some military fuel tanks. I was shielding my eyes during welding with one of those hand held sheilds, so thought I was protected. Little did I realize, the flash was reflecting off a row of polished aluminium taks that were stacked up, off to the side.
I woke up about 4:00am with intense pain, and after a trip to the doctor, found i had blistered the surface of both eyeballs. A week or so with ointment and eye patches. Not a pleasant experience, but all good now.
Needless to say, a full auto helmet was quickly purchased.
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

I guess non-reloaders miss all the excitement, just the occasional closing bolt/light trigger firings to keep the focus on safety (note: must remember to varnish those adjustment screws).
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

new collet, $22! :x

and they told me i had to get my own rubber o ring or use the old one!

what a rip off.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Post deleted....................to off topic....sorry.

Regards Chris.
Last edited by chris.tyne on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

I've never liked using kinetic bullet pullers (especially when you need pop a few in the 338WM caliber). I have since acquired through Peter V the clamp type bullet puller.

It is much safer and does not damage the projectile as often occurs when using the Kinetic type.

You should be able to obtain one for around $40 and it will do three calibers.

Regards

Sean