.17HMR groups, how do others compare please.

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

.17HMR groups, how do others compare please.

Post by Knackers »

G'day fella's, its been done to death but we have a fair few new members in the last six months and some of them 17 HMR owners. Here are a few pic's of groups that I have shot over the last couple of years with my CZ varmint, tight as a fish's at 50 yards and loose as a Ho at 100. Are these typical of most HMR rifles. You will note that all the groups at 100 yards are smaller than a bunnies head, thats why I have put a round beside each group so you can get a gauge on it. :wink:
Attachments
Copy of P1030487 (Medium).JPG
Copy of P1030486 (Large).JPG
Copy of P1030485 (Large).JPG
Copy of P1030484 (Large).JPG
Copy of P1030482 (Large).JPG
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Re: .17HMR groups, how do others compare please.

Post by Plowboy »

Thanks mate good stuff. I have never tried shooting groups with mine but I would say that if your targets are rabbit head size, mine would be similar. One thing I would ask is have your tried some other brands of ammo? I seem to get the best shooting from hornady and federal ammo. Winchester sux in mine and one other brand that I cannot remember shoots like crap too. I reckon though if everybody did their own testing they would show similar accuracy to yours. I reckon that the accuracy is not too bad for a rimfire though eh?
Matthook
Favourite Cartridge: .17

Post by Matthook »

My .17 is similar, Spot on at 50 but a 100 gets a lil messy. Tends to be all over the shop.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Knackers, I've upgraded to a 17mach 4 but the Hmr I had behaved very similar to yours (except I never got one of those fluke, arse, bughole groups. Maybe it wasnt fluke mate!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Best was under 1/2 MOA at 100 dead still day using 20gr gamepoints. But I sold mine too.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

trevort wrote:Knackers, I've upgraded to a 17mach 4 but the Hmr I had behaved very similar to yours (except I never got one of those fluke, arse, bughole groups. Maybe it wasnt fluke mate!
Read an article in PS about building a Mach4 and I must say I was nearly sold on the idea, money was the only problem. :wink:
MAWLER

Post by MAWLER »

Thanks Knackers.

Whats the cause of the 'blow-out' at 100m in everybodies opinion? Velocity too much for the rimfire, wind blowing the light pill or just a specific character of the hmr?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

a relatively slow and extremely light pill imho
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

I reckon that the heavy crimp playes a big part in the puzzle,not so noticeable at 50mtrs but the further out the bigger the variation.
That and the fact that most of the rifles are around the $1000-$1400 mark so barrel+ammo =what you get,I would like to see what a rebarreled one would be like with a good quality barrel fitted.
Have seen a Krico 400 something or other put down some really good groups at 100 once or twice at the local range.

Regards Chris.
Brett33
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260

Post by Brett33 »

Not HMR but the Mach 2 I have will shoot under a inch at 90m 9 times out of ten. It is however a Lilja drop in for the Sako P94.
The boys at the range banned me from using it in the rimefire 90m comps, they could not get close to me.

Brett