Reloading setup advice

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Reloading setup advice

Post by Plowboy »

OK guys need some advice on a reloading setup a bloke at work has. Now he is getting out of reloading due to a lack of time and enthusiasm. Now he tells tell there is EVERYTHING I need to reload. I will get back to you on details of what the brands and condition is like. But he has powder, projectiles, the lot in there so What do you reloaders reckon I should be able to get a second hand reloading kit complete for? Just want to get an idea of what I can bargain him down to. He has nothing to loose so I reckon he will not be that bothered if I try too low but wanna get good value here. Not in any real hurry to get this so I will lot down what he has and get your opinions on it.
Rath
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Re: Reloading setup advice

Post by Rath »

What Caliber and rifle are you reloading for and what are your accuracy expectations/goals? This info will help us determine what is acceptable quality as far as gear goes.

Rath
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Can't even begin to guess mate - reloading presses alone range from around $100 to over $1000 to buy. You need to get a full list of all the gear, value it and then make an offer. More to the point - ask the guy how much he wants and if you can afford it, and want the stuff he has, buy it.
gigitt
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by gigitt »

If you can throw a couple of cases of beer into his truck you are doing very very well :)
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

OK I will be reloading for .223. Strictly hunting here so no splitting hairs for accuracy but it would be nice to consistantly hit foxes to 300m. He gets back on shift Wed so hope I can have a chat then. Might try and get his phone number so I can write it down without him knowing. :wink:

I understand that my fist post was vague so sorry bout that
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

He want $300 for it including power, projectiles, primed and unprimed cases. And the auto priming tool thingy. Bugger it for $300 bucks it's too good. Only reason I asked you guys is I thought he would be wanting like $7-800 for it!
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

So what was the gear ? Tell us about your bargain :D
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

wifecallsmegrumpy wrote:So what was the gear ? Tell us about your bargain :D
Yeah tell us what it is before you hand over the cash. Some of the Lee kits start at around $200 so depending in brands etc might not be a lot cheaper than new.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Well I will take a picture when I get it all but it includes press, dies, scales, etc. also powder, cases primed and unprimed, projectiles and auto primer. Dunno what brand but Paul is a target shooter( but not enough time these days) so I know it will bew ok!
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

Ok if you haven't got a brand name, what colour is it? we can narrow it down a bit more if we have a colour. :wink:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I would have said I'll give you $200 for it and he would have said meet you in between at $250. :-)
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

OK it's a lee setup and while I know that's not flash he is throwing in the dies ect. a couple of hundred projectiles, nearly a kilo of powder, 200 cases(100 of which are primed) 300 primers and the auto primer. I don't reckon that's too bad eh?
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

Not to be negative, but that sounds like a fair price for secondhand lee gear. Which Lee press is it ?

Powder is $40 per 500 on average
Lee Auto prime is about $25
Primers are about $6/100 depending on type.
Projectiles could be worth anything or nothing if your gun doesn't like them.

Anyway you will have fun playing around with the kit and if you get the bug you can always upgrade.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Never thought I was getting a steal mate but I think it's not bad anyway. I still have to get his phone number so I can look at it forst hand. Not sure what model it is but getting there. We are working at the same mine but may see each other for about 5 mins a day when our shifts are both on. When we both are on break and I don't have so much going on I will look at it.