1000 yd in Victoria?

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
ratshot
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 6 dasher

Re: 1000 yd in Victoria?

Post by ratshot »

Jugs wrote:Ratshot,

I and a few other I know would be keen if you could get tallangata on board with a few benches for 1000yd.
Corryong being that little bit further makes it a long day from Melbourne.

Jugs
Jugs Tallangata only goes to 900 yd and that is as far as it can go, the old guard there dont like change. but in saying that they have just started putting super Vs on all targets and starting to accept f open. If the range went to 1000 yds i would suggest benchrest myself , and then duck for cover! Corryong is only another 80 ks up the road.
mick l
Favourite Cartridge: na

Post by mick l »

Its only a thought ,but how many people would like to shoot 1000 yards????????
wadcutter
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .338Win Mag

Post by wadcutter »

mick l wrote:Its only a thought ,but how many people would like to shoot 1000 yards????????
Every chance I get nowdays.
Muz

Post by Muz »

Ackley Improved wrote:
a.JR wrote:Kav , I am currently helping a mate build a 300wsm for Heavy Gun , it will have no brake and be legal for FLY /600 yd and 1000yd .. It will come in at about 40 lbs and it will be competitive anywhere in AUS.. Limited Bullet/ powder combos available but it can be done ..JR..Jeff Rogers
KAV300WSM wrote:G'day,

Keen on getting into 1000yd benchrest but cant find any ranges in Victoria? Do we only have 500 meter fly shoots in Victoria?
Was thinking of building something in 300WSM as my next project

Regards

KAV
Will be a nice rifle for sure... "HG 300WSM" rolls off the tongue just nicely!

Just if you want one accross course rifle, a 17lb LG is a no brainer... 500m Fly, F Class Open, 1000yd BR.. LG can be shot in two classes, a HG just one!

Cheers
Hi Kav,
There is plenty of good advice here.
There are any number of cartridges that will do the job as AI mentioned. If you are starting out it is nice to be able to see your bullet holes - especially at the Fly. I'd suggest trying a .284 - Not too much case for a Light gun and the 7mm holes are heaps easier to see than the 6mm - it might sound strange I know but the guys here will testify...(i hope).

That being said there are one or two guys who have used the 300WSM in light gun, but the recoil is probrably a bit on the heavy side in a light gun and they tend to jump around a bit on the bags unless setup correctly.

At the end of the day - it doesn't really matter what you are using as long as you are pulling the trigger and having some fun!!! Get into it!!