Tactical lights

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
fenring

Re: Tactical lights

Post by fenring »

About 100m for rabbits is where I call it quits, depending how well hidden they are. If they are in the open it's no drama. If they are partly concealed in grass, rocks etc then most of these torches obviously do not light them right up like a 100w spotlight does.

Fox eyes show up a long way away and provide a convenient aiming point. :lol:
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Yeah was not expecting them to be a bright as a 9" powabeam. But that is sorta what I am after. Rabbits do not sit that well under the big light and a smaller one would be fine. Also maybe foxes would not be so skittish about sitting out at 200m still enough to see an eye. I am sort of thinking about the potential of aving a walk at night in a patch of timber a few km from my house. There are thousands of rabbits in there as well as a few foxes. Would be ideal for that.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Yes, perfect.
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

I managed to bang a few foxs the other night with my walky torhcy, Im off again tonigh with 3 differant brands to do a comparo so il let you know how they go.

The place im shooting tonight backs onto the tip :auto:
fenring

Post by fenring »

Give us a write up with a few pics! :D
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

fenring wrote:Give us a write up with a few pics! :D
I would love to, but i dont know what happened, the place is usualy swarming with rabbits and tonight we ended up with 3 and a fox pup that we couldnt find after the shot, nothing realy exciting sorry to say :(
fenring

Post by fenring »

Oh well, better than nowt. :)
Peter O
.22 WMR

Post by Peter O »

Thomo wrote:The place im shooting tonight backs onto the tip :auto:

What no cats. what sort of tip is that
MAWLER

Post by MAWLER »

Are there any general comments that can be made about the 3 different torches, or did you not even pull 2 of them out of the bag?
badger74

Post by badger74 »

fenring wrote:I've been thinking about one of those recoil throwers just for shits and giggles.
Well, this bad boy arrived the other day. all I can say is Holy Shit. I though the Romisen I got was bright.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22934

This thing absolutely craps all over the first one. Im guessing a conservative 200m! perhaps more. Its a very tight beam with virtually no spill.
I have very little experience with spoting, so Im not sure if this is perceived as a good thing or not, but for its just bloody impressive.
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

MAWLER wrote:Are there any general comments that can be made about the 3 different torches, or did you not even pull 2 of them out of the bag?
Yep ok here is my impresions of the torches used.

Kizylar P-4, The torch throws a LOOOOOOOOOOOOng beam of verry focused light when the beam is tightened right up, i HATE the mount it comes with as its 6 tiny allen key screws and you need three bloody hands to mount it. The chances of loosing components is great and the mount sits high or wide to one side depending on how you mount it and can cause problems with getting the rifle in a gun back or case, the push pull focus system is ok in that you can pull it back to give a heap of spill and when you get a target push the front forward to tighten the beam. It is a fairly basic torch that is a great entry level the threads are a bit rough and i think for some one looking for the occasional use torch its a good by.

The ADA P3 is the same torch as above but being sold as a fundraiser for a branch of the ADA, the push pull focus has gone and is replaced with a turn style focus that is not as quick as the push pull but wont move on you either, same good and bad points.

Wolf eyes Sniper, A far better made torch, is not as far reaching as the others but fine on a .22 or HMR for 120mtr work. I liked that is was rechargeable and the build quality shat all over the other two. if i was using a torch alot then i would go the wolf eye's as what it lacks in reach it makes up for in quality, throws some good spill light to help with finding targets and then you throw the rifle up and the bright point is right on the target where it sould be.
Not adjustable with the beam but does not need to be as the spill/spot setup is realy user freindly.

Im going away in Mid Jan after some pigs and stuff and would like depending on funds to give the Sea lion hunter by Wolf Eyes a run for sitting over baits as i reckon that torch looks the ducks nuts, could also see one being real handy on a varmint rifle for some far out fox work.
fenring

Post by fenring »

badger74 wrote:
fenring wrote:I've been thinking about one of those recoil throwers just for shits and giggles.
Well, this bad boy arrived the other day. all I can say is Holy Shit. I though the Romisen I got was bright.

This thing absolutely craps all over the first one. Im guessing a conservative 200m! perhaps more. Its a very tight beam with virtually no spill.
I have very little experience with spoting, so Im not sure if this is perceived as a good thing or not, but for its just bloody impressive.
For that coin I might get one just for a play.
Sir huntalot
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Post by Sir huntalot »

So have you tested it properly yet BSG?? I am eagerly awaiting as I am looking at buying one right now.

cheers
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Thomo, Santa might have a sea lion with my name on it :wink:
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

badger74 wrote:

Mate can you get a tape switch to fit those???? Looks bloody good for a test/ cheapy torch.