CF rifles with interchangable barrels

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: CF rifles with interchangable barrels

Post by Plowboy »

Well the varmint barrel would be foxes and rabbits. The big barrel is a goat, pig, wild dog etc rifle. The biggest target would be a 100kg+ boar but that would be very rare as the pigs are usually smaller than that.
Phoenix84

Post by Phoenix84 »

Rath wrote:Blaser rifles are an option, can change bbl + caliber in 45 seconds, I've seen it done, you can run from .22lr through to 375 H&H. POI shift is almost undetectable. Unfortunately they are $$$
No other practical option IMO, just spend the coin and go Blaser. The only one you can change between a rimfire to very large c.fire in the field. The Tac2 can go to 338LM and everything else (our mil. snipers use them in 338LM), but this will not be practical for every-day use. Best bet is a R93 Professional with the wide barrel cahnnel and then you can use a hex key to change anywhere, any cal and any barrel (light/med/heavy).
Also, a HUGE selling point is the straight pull action - simply unreal!!!
Rath
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Rath »

Phoenix84 wrote:
Rath wrote:Blaser rifles are an option, can change bbl + caliber in 45 seconds, I've seen it done, you can run from .22lr through to 375 H&H. POI shift is almost undetectable. Unfortunately they are $$$
No other practical option IMO, just spend the coin and go Blaser. The only one you can change between a rimfire to very large c.fire in the field. The Tac2 can go to 338LM and everything else (our mil. snipers use them in 338LM), but this will not be practical for every-day use. Best bet is a R93 Professional with the wide barrel cahnnel and then you can use a hex key to change anywhere, any cal and any barrel (light/med/heavy).
Also, a HUGE selling point is the straight pull action - simply unreal!!!
I'm a fan of the Blaser, considering getting a R93. The straight pull is impressively fast but I'm not so sure about having to move my head to avoid smashing my face with the bolt! I'm sure turning the head in sync with bolt cycle could be learned quickly but that is the only thing putting me off at the moment. Impressive rifles, can't beat the germans!
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

Aesthetically, give me the classic lines of the mauser’98 and it’s derivatives over the Blaser any day………horses for courses I guess.

I’m thinking I could reach in the ute and pull out my second rifle of choice quicker than a barrel change and with the absolute certainty of the zero :wink:
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Yeah my requirement is not for a barrel change in the field. It is just for switching from small to medium game in a pre planned fashion. I reckon the only time when you could actually have a gun that would suit every shot would be a raygun with power settings
284win
Favourite Cartridge: .284

Post by 284win »

I've just purchased a Rem 700 in .270Win and am also considering a switch barrel setup in either 243W or 7mm/08.
Will there be any feed issues from switching between the calibres as the .270 is a LA cartridge and the other two are SA??
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

IF the Idea is for Varmints and the Odd or even alot of pigs/goats etc Why not just go something along the lines of one rifle and barrel. Chambered in 243/25-06/260/6.5x55 rem just to name a few their are a heap in between. Just work up two loads one a varmint there are a multitude of varmint bullets in 6mm,.25 and 6.5 etc and also plenty of stuff for bigger stuff. Then just work out your loads know what the scope settings are for each of the loads perhaps mark it on the scope and its a 5sec scope adjustment between the loads?
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Well the whole point of me wanting interchangable barrels is that I want something that I can shoot varmints with that has minimal recoil and can be beefed up for bigger stuff. Also being individual and difficult too! :wink:

I compromised with the .223 I have so if I am to go custom I want perfect.... well you know. Really not about the stlye of gun here just the calibres. I have been thinking about the calibres and the bolt face issue( having more than one bolt). I am not really bothered about the second bolt/mag if it id needed. but also had a thought about another way around it. Now once again I am not sure of the dimentions of the case but how would a 6x50mm go? Yes the rass is probably expensive but I think the bolt face as the .223. If it would be good on pigs then that might be the way to go....
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Plowboy wrote:Now once again I am not sure of the dimentions of the case but how would a 6x50mm go? Yes the rass is probably expensive but I think the bolt face as the .223. If it would be good on pigs then that might be the way to go....
As in 5.6x50 Magnum necked up? The case is literally 50mm long. Head is the same as the 222, body is 40mm long, neck is 6.7mm long. Shoulder angle is 23deg.

Also called a 6x50 S&H (Sharpe and Hart?).

There really were very few rifles built specifically for this round, the best I've ever seen is the Krico at Braidwood sports store right now (lefty action).

When you say 'probably expensive' try $3 per case for RWS from Forbes Wholesale. S&B also makes the case, but supply would be difficult as the cartridge is far from popular here.

Other than that, it would make a nice cartridge in a 6mm calibre in a Remington 700/Howa action. It won't fit in a little Sako. You should expect velocities of around 3300fps for the 55gn NBT, and 3100fps for 80/85gn bullets. Probably around 2800fps from a 100gn bullet. These are 100-200fps more than what I get from my 6/223 with a 20in tube in a Mini-Mauser.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Thanks adamjp that's the one but wow that IS expensive. 260rem and a bolt/mag is sounding a better option. Never mind was trying to keep the same boltface the same as the small calibre that's all. How do you find the 6/223? much more snot that the 223?
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

55gn bullets are much the same. Snot foxes without issues and can snipe bunnies out to 250m without concern.

BUT

You can then throw an 80gn Speer soft point and it will expand and kill animals much larger than you would reasonably take on with the 223.

I have mine such that the 55gn is dead on @ 100m, the 80gn is dead on @ 170m. Very interchangeable.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Just been looking at tube guns and even though they are not exactly the look I am after they seem to tick all the boxes as far as being able to change the barrel and having the pistol grip that I am after. Seems like you just insert the Rem 700 action and off you go! Shane did suggest a tube gun while I was asking him about this project and never looked right into it.
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

Plowboy wrote:Just been looking at tube guns and even though they are not exactly the look I am after they seem to tick all the boxes as far as being able to change the barrel and having the pistol grip that I am after. Seems like you just insert the Rem 700 action and off you go! Shane did suggest a tube gun while I was asking him about this project and never looked right into it.
Sort of.

Work out your questions and ask away - I built one last year.

Not a terribly cheap option though.
Muz

Post by Muz »

Hey Plowboy,

I like your thinking and have setup a similar rig - it is great. The only problem is the magazine isn't interchangable. as it is a blind mag.

I inherited a couple of barrels with the rifle when I bought it. It has a .308 boltface which will work with the PPC case with a bit of tinkering, but I have a great range of barrels including 17PPC and 22BR, 6BR and 6.5-284. That is pretty much all bases covered. The best part is the action has been blueprinted to be the same as my Light fly gun - that way worn out match barrels migrate to this bush gun...

Food for thought?
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Main reason I was thinking this way was so that I can set up a rifle to suit my body and style and instead of doing that with 2 or 3 rifles. I was going to make sure I had a magazine feed so not really sure how the BR types of cases would feed but yeah still thinking the best way to go about it.