CF rifles with interchangable barrels

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Re: CF rifles with interchangable barrels

Post by adamjp »

aam wrote:
adamjp wrote:
Plowboy wrote:Ok well what about 6.5X47 lapua? Does it have the same bolt face as a .308? Would it be better than .260rem?
Yes it is the same as the 308.

It may be better, depending on what you want to use it for. The 260 is a class act, particularly with heavier bullets in a walking rifle for deer. If you want a truck gun, or a laydown varmiting type rig the 6.5x47Lap is probably better as it will throw the <120gn bullets at the same speed as the 260, but barrel wear will be less. Brass will be more expensive, but it will almost certainly last longer than Remington stuff, and the quality will be better.
I think 260, it uses a large rifle primer. if you go 6.5x47 don't you
have to bush the firing pin hole because they use a small rifle primer??
I could be wrong.

Regards Albert.
Yes the 6.5x47L uses a small rifle primer.

Why would you need to bush the firing pin hole? It is the same size on all boltfaces from a manufacturer irrespective of the firing pin of the case. A Rem 700 firing pin is IDENTICAL from 17 Rem up to 358 Win - all the same short action.

Bushing the firing pin is popular on BR rifles as they use a smaller firing pin, and run their cases at higher pressure. The higher pressure causes the primers to flow more, a bushed pin hole keeps the primer more supported and less liable to flow.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Grumpy I don't have big stuff at home, only rabbits and foxes. Hence the .20 cal only place where I need a bigger punch is the property I shoot on up north. Therefore I don't think I would be needing both "guns" at the same time. If I did have bigger stuff here you would be right. I already own a .22 and .17HMR and I now find them boring to shoot compared to the shits and giggles you get by blowing a rabbit to bits with a centrefire. Even though shooting for me is a farming chore, it is also a hobby and therefor economy is not the only thing I am concerned about. And to make it more enjoyable I am prepared to spend more time, money and effort on shooting. I do not range shoot so what ever I shoot at(and hit hopefully) it bleeds.

But if I was to take the practical approach to this I would just go and buy a second hand rifle for the bigger stuff(or continue to use my mate's) and persist with my .223. This is a project gun and therefor some of that practicality goes buy the wayside for being different and individual. Trevort had it in one when he said "cos I can" otherwise nobody would do anything custom or different. Not havin a go just pointing out that this is not driven by practicality but rather novelty and individuality.
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

Plowboy wrote:Grumpy I don't have big stuff at home, only rabbits and foxes. Hence the .20 cal only place where I need a bigger punch is the property I shoot on up north. Therefore I don't think I would be needing both "guns" at the same time. If I did have bigger stuff here you would be right. I already own a .22 and .17HMR and I now find them boring to shoot compared to the shits and giggles you get by blowing a rabbit to bits with a centrefire. Even though shooting for me is a farming chore, it is also a hobby and therefor economy is not the only thing I am concerned about. And to make it more enjoyable I am prepared to spend more time, money and effort on shooting. I do not range shoot so what ever I shoot at(and hit hopefully) it bleeds.

But if I was to take the practical approach to this I would just go and buy a second hand rifle for the bigger stuff(or continue to use my mate's) and persist with my .223. This is a project gun and therefor some of that practicality goes buy the wayside for being different and individual. Trevort had it in one when he said "cos I can" otherwise nobody would do anything custom or different. Not havin a go just pointing out that this is not driven by practicality but rather novelty and individuality.

Great answer !
Brett33
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260

Post by Brett33 »

I have done this, my combo is Rem 788 in 22-250 and 260rem. Barrel change takes less then 2 minutes, and the scope settings have always been spot on changing between the two. But it is still a pain to change barrels out bush. I used to shoot the 260 during the day (pigs and Goats) and the 22-250 at night. Now I decide what I want before I leave and take another rifle to do the other job. If I decide the foxs could be aways out I pack the 250 for night and my BLR 308 for the daytime. If not I pack the rem 788 222 for night and 260 for during the day.
Or I pack the lot and decide as needs dictate.
Brett
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Thanks Brett yeah I would not be attempting to changed barrels in the field because I stay in the farmhouse when I am up there. So barrel changes would be strictly workbench.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Ok just thinking about the bolt case issue. Dunno whether this would work but has the 7.62x39 got the same boltface as a .308? If so has anyone necked one of these to .20cal? They have about the same case capacity as a .223 (maybe with some improving)so could be similar in performance to a 20prac. I think these are what grendel cases come from so maybe it maight be an option too.
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

Plowboy wrote:Ok just thinking about the bolt case issue. Dunno whether this would work but has the 7.62x39 got the same boltface as a .308? If so has anyone necked one of these to .20cal? They have about the same case capacity as a .223 (maybe with some improving)so could be similar in performance to a 20prac. I think these are what grendel cases come from so maybe it maight be an option too.
PPC boltface is smaller than the 308, bigger than the 223.

PPC is .440in, 308 is .473in. The difference is enough that they won't work. There is such a thing as a 20 PPC though.

Grendel cases are based on the PPC, which is based on the 220 Russian, which is based on the 7.62x39mm case.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Bugger! Would have been an interesting little thing. Dunno whether a shortened .308 (say 40mm)necked to 20 cal would work but it could be a brand new wildcat in the works. Maybe .20falcon????
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Dunno whether this would work but has the 7.62x39 got the same boltface as a .308? If so has anyone necked one of these to .20cal
No it is not the same as .308!

If you want a wild cat with that size case it has already been done
and it is called a 20PPC!
They are the same size case, I just measured both of them as then,
7.62x39=38.5mm, .220 Russian=38.52mm.

With the .220 Russian case just necked done to .20cal, load and shoot to fire form!
And it is a PPC! From what I have heard they just shoot!!!!!

It would take a LOT of work to neck down a 7.62x39 case :( :( :(

I will tell you very soon how the 20PPC works. Shane is building me one :D :D

Glenn
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

The BR case is 39mm long.

I'd have said that a 308 shortened to 40mm and necked to 20 cal would be a 20BR.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Plowboy wrote:Bugger! Would have been an interesting little thing. Dunno whether a shortened .308 (say 40mm)necked to 20 cal would work but it could be a brand new wildcat in the works. Maybe .20falcon????
Yeah!

20BR!!!!!

Glenn
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

308 bolt equals lots of choices, 20br or 22br. Lots of choices for bigger stuff.
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

Small point of order folks - the 308 cartridge case base size is correctly referred to as the Mauser case base size. The 7x57 Mauser cartridge pre-dates the 308 by 60 years, hell the 30/06 case pre-dates the 308 by 48 years.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Haha bugger! Thought I was onto a winner! :oops:
Rath
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Rath »

What is the largest game you think you would use this rifle on?

Rath