CF rifles with interchangable barrels

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
GJS
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 30-06/.204

Re: CF rifles with interchangable barrels

Post by GJS »

If you go 308 bolt face you coudd from 20br to 35 whelan including 90% of the popular cals.
Glenn
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

OK the primary barrel that would be on this would be on the rifle would be a varmint round like a .19 or .20 cal but For the occasional trip away I would be able to put a barrel on for goats, pigs etc on without having an entire new rifle. I was thinking .270 but by no means set on that. Now as to buying a donor gun, I reckon a second hand gun in OK nick barrel wise would be OK. I would probably go for a .243 so I have the larger bolt and get a new bolt for the primary round. Of course there is a lot of thinking about which way to be go but the ideas given here give a good heads up to go from. Having a general idea of what I want and going to a gunsmith with that would be better than going to a smith with a general idea.

BTW having a sniff around last night for the accuracy int stock. Well.... hmmmm well unless i could import one myself looks like that aint gonna happen.....$1850! Well while I am not sure that this is just a price because of lack of availability or that is the actual price but I might be making a replica....
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

Plowboy
270 is a big round, too much for a pig or goat, 270 is a Sambar round. What about a 308 win, that way you get plenty of projectile choice, you can go from 80 grains all the way up to 170 gns (yes there is bigger but twist rate will kill the bigger ones). Now that gives you cheaper 80 gns for varminting and paper work and then say a 140 or 150 gn for pigs and goats. The 308 bolt face is .473 so you could go 243 or 22-250, you could even neck down the 22-250 case and make it a 20 cal, that would be a hot little cartridge. I myself wouldnt go the two bolts.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

GJS wrote:If you go 308 bolt face you coudd from 20br to 35 whelan including 90% of the popular cals.
Glenn
Thats the ticket 20br for varmints, would even think it would sought the dogs out quite well, maybe 22.250 they sought things out great and with a faster twist barrel would think a 60 odd grain would even sought most goats out. Then maybe 6br, 243 or 260 Rem isn't a 7-08 based on 308 case? Lots of options.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Cheers for the advice fellas. There are heaps of options that's for sure. Been reading up about 260rem and sounds the goods too. It's all about the options I reckon. Having one bolt is fine but it also leaves the possibility of a pretty quick change to a smaller calibre without huge issues. That's why I was thinking .243 for a starting rifle and going from there. Thing is, as I said before the majority of use would be varminting so that's why I was thinking 2 bolt setup. Anyone used a 6x45 or 6x50 on goats/pigs???? These(I think) use the same bolt face as a .223 so I would have my prefered bolt for a start.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Plowboy wrote:Cheers for the advice fellas. There are heaps of options that's for sure. Been reading up about 260rem and sounds the goods too. It's all about the options I reckon. Having one bolt is fine but it also leaves the possibility of a pretty quick change to a smaller calibre without huge issues. That's why I was thinking .243 for a starting rifle and going from there. Thing is, as I said before the majority of use would be varminting so that's why I was thinking 2 bolt setup. Anyone used a 6x45 or 6x50 on goats/pigs???? These(I think) use the same bolt face as a .223 so I would have my prefered bolt for a start.
They do use a 223 boltface, but why would you want cartridges this size in an action designed for 308 or 30/06 sized cartridges. This is beside the fact that you can't feed a 223 case from a 308 magazine reliably, and a 308 case won't feed from a 223 magazine at all.

Priced 5.56x50 Magnum brass lately? Interesting case, but oh so expensive. Save yourself some grief and go with a 243.

Another thing you need to look at is your scope. A picatinney rail goes without saying so that you can swap scopes for the purpose. Each scope is zeroed for a cartridge and with one shot you can check zero.

If you go with a Remington 700 you will need to get the recoil lug pinned in place otherwise it becomes a real PITA when you change barrels.

The AI stocks are that expensive because they are quite good - also quite solid and heavy. The AI stock is not much use for a walkabout stalking type rifle, too heavy and the grip angle is just plain wrong for shooting offhand (at least that was my opinion).
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

Sticking with one bolt face i would chose the 308bolt face and short action.
22-250 for Varmints
260rem for Medium Game
338Fed for Deer Legal in Victoria

For a hunting rifle that would cover it all, but for target/varmint i would cut it down to 22-250 and 308.
Just me, every one is different.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Ok well what about 6.5X47 lapua? Does it have the same bolt face as a .308? Would it be better than .260rem?
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

adamjp wrote:They do use a 223 boltface, but why would you want cartridges this size in an action designed for 308 or 30/06 sized cartridges. This is beside the fact that you can't feed a 223 case from a 308 magazine reliably, and a 308 case won't feed from a 223 magazine at all.
Well For a start I am after a varminting round that is like a .204(hell might even go that but would rather be different for the sake of it) without next to no recoil and lower noise. As I have said a few times this would be the primary barrel so I want a calibre the that I would be happy with if I was going for a rifle chambered just for that round. Why compromise in a rifle that the whole point is to have the "perfect" calibre for the purpose??? I settled on .223 with my first CF because of the larger game I go after occasionally. I would have gone with a .204 otherwise.

adamjp wrote:Priced 5.56x50 Magnum brass lately? Interesting case, but oh so expensive. Save yourself some grief and go with a 243.

Just thowing an idea about mate never looked into them. Also for the amount of ammo I would shoot, I would not be too worried about buying factory stuff(not this calibre but.....)

adamjp wrote:Another thing you need to look at is your scope. A picatinney rail goes without saying so that you can swap scopes for the purpose. Each scope is zeroed for a cartridge and with one shot you can check zero.
For the reasons above I would not be buying another scope. I would do some testing to find out the difference in POI and adjust the scope. noting down the changes for when I go back.
adamjp wrote:The AI stocks are that expensive because they are quite good - also quite solid and heavy. The AI stock is not much use for a walkabout stalking type rifle, too heavy and the grip angle is just plain wrong for shooting offhand (at least that was my opinion).
Heavy stocks don't worry me because I am not a walking shooter. Nearly all of my shooting is done in vehicles or driving to the spot(or not very far from it). Same as offhand shooting. Hardly ever do it as I am crap at it so also not an issue. An AI stock is a bit of a dream but would want something similar to it. Although I would love to have a play with some aluminium and see if I could make one up!
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

Plowboy wrote:Ok well what about 6.5X47 lapua? Does it have the same bolt face as a .308? Would it be better than .260rem?
Yes it is the same as the 308.

It may be better, depending on what you want to use it for. The 260 is a class act, particularly with heavier bullets in a walking rifle for deer. If you want a truck gun, or a laydown varmiting type rig the 6.5x47Lap is probably better as it will throw the <120gn bullets at the same speed as the 260, but barrel wear will be less. Brass will be more expensive, but it will almost certainly last longer than Remington stuff, and the quality will be better.
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

FWIW

I would go with a Savage.

With Barrels in 20br, 6mmbr and 7-08.

With the interchangable barrel nut system you can change barrels easily yourself and re-headspace if required. No expensive tools required, just the Nut Wrench for $40 and a barrel vise. (I use my standard bench vise at home with handmade hardwood collets) These rifles come with detachable mags or floorplates as standard.

You don't need a new bolt just another bolt head which is less than half the cost of a new bolt if you decided you needed another larger caliber.

My Savage in 6mmbr has shown amazing potential !
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Thanks Grumpy the only thing with savage is the reciever has a round base on it. I would prefer a flat base. But worth considering esp with the bolt face idea. I really like the idea of a flat based reciever bolted and bonded to a metal surface(AI style). It takes bedding problems away and makes for a rugged rifle(which I need). With the Rem700 action if you get this work done you can still change the barrel your self can't you??? No point unless it can be done at home/in workshop before heading out.

I would like to be able to take this gun to the property I shoot on with both barrels so I can go after the rabbits/foxes and goats/pigs etc and be able to change a barrel to suit what is the most found on the day or what the bigger problem is. The owner does not really put restrictions on us just as long as we don't take out sheep so we're lucky that way.

This is a very interesting little topic here(for me anyway). Getting heaps of ideas for this and heaps more thought going into it. I know the basic idea I want but the AI rifle is just far too much cash for me! So something that can do similar things and look similar is what I am after.
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

Plowboy wrote:Thanks Grumpy the only thing with savage is the reciever has a round base on it. I would prefer a flat base. But worth considering esp with the bolt face idea. I really like the idea of a flat based reciever bolted and bonded to a metal surface(AI style). It takes bedding problems away and makes for a rugged rifle(which I need).
Ummmmm Rem700 is round. Win70, Howa1500/Vanguard are flat bottomed. Rem700 recoil lug is a PITA, the others have them integral with the action.

For what you are seeking, the Savage is the best solution for a man on a budget. The Stevens 200 is better still 'cause it's cheaper.

A Tikka t3 might even be worth a look as they are a one-size-fits-all action and only the bolt stop and detachable magazine change between 22/250 and 30/06.
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

Plowboy,

Just looking at your intented use, I see some issues with your logic.
The reason is that if you are crusing around the property with your 204 barrel in place and see Goats and Pigs what do you do ?
If you have the Goat/Pig barrel on and are out looking for the same but see plenty of foxes/rabbits what do you do ?

It's the reason that the 243 became popular. Fine on Goats/Foxes/Pigs and buy a .22/.17hmr for rabbits, if you want to be economical. Take both in the car and your set. If you don't want a 243, pick another 6mm varient or .25 cal or even the .22-250 would do it.

If you wanted a switch barrel for Target/hunting work that makes more sense, Or dedicated hunting larger game like Deer, but unless the Pigs and Goats grow big in your neck of the woods I think you might screw on the biggest barrel you have and stick with it so you don't miss out on shooting the biggest critter you see.
aam
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22 Hornet

Post by aam »

adamjp wrote:
Plowboy wrote:Ok well what about 6.5X47 lapua? Does it have the same bolt face as a .308? Would it be better than .260rem?
Yes it is the same as the 308.

It may be better, depending on what you want to use it for. The 260 is a class act, particularly with heavier bullets in a walking rifle for deer. If you want a truck gun, or a laydown varmiting type rig the 6.5x47Lap is probably better as it will throw the <120gn bullets at the same speed as the 260, but barrel wear will be less. Brass will be more expensive, but it will almost certainly last longer than Remington stuff, and the quality will be better.
I think 260, it uses a large rifle primer. if you go 6.5x47 don't you
have to bush the firing pin hole because they use a small rifle primer??
I could be wrong.

Regards Albert.