Rimfire Target Rifle Shooting Forum?

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Brett33
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260

Re: Rimfire Target Rifle Shooting Forum?

Post by Brett33 »

[quote="Sean Ambrose
I have shot 600's (which is over three cards in competition on many occasions). In Club from the 16 shoots this season I have shot 200.15+ on 13 occasions. 200.20 is a perfect score. I also shoot with-out a handicap.
[/quote]

I think we need some perspective on the target.
The target Sean refers to, from memory the bigest 10 ring in Australia. In reality if you are not shooting X's on it you are shooting 9's on the RBA or IRB target. So at dropping 5 X's every 20 shots that about 6 points down every RBA or IRB card, which is way out of the running at most matches these days.

Put simply the 10 ring is so big wind flags are not required, unless the wind gets up.

My experience reflects this.
I have only shot 1 small bore match, at the time:
Never seen the target before.
Never shot at the range before.
Shot in the third detail with more wind and heat haze, The winner came from the first detail who shot at 8am.
The rifle was brand new, less than 150 rounds with new Barrel, new stock and new tunner.
I could not miss the 10 ring, my score was 600 44X from memory.

Sean needs to come and play on a harder target he might need flags then.

Brett

edit: spelling
Last edited by Brett33 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bagman

Post by Bagman »

Valid point Brett.

I'm happy learning on the 'big' 10 rings.
When (if) I improve to the point where I am shooting 200.15 or better regularly then I might venture out and join you guy on the teeny weeny targets.
I fear at this stage I would just embarress myself. :oops:
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Brett33 wrote:.....Sean needs to come and play on a harder target he might need flags then.....
G'day Brett,

As for scores in Small Bore, I know of a few RBA representatives that struggle to shoot 600's during comp and have been severely brassed up on quiet a few occasions by a young lady and an old rifle :mrgreen:

Leanne and I will be certainly competing in RBA next year (after we are married) :wink:

Regards

Sean
SnipeWench
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .50cal

Lets stick to the topic eh?

Post by SnipeWench »

Well, way back on the first page, I posed some questions! There have been some rather vigorous "discussions" on one point in particular, which spawned into a "discussion" on the size of the targets being shot at.

The question I posed was - where to look for a good target rifle? Because I've never seen any recent modern ones for sale on usedguns, and I don't know enough about the older Annies and FWB's to know which ones to look for.

Rinso responded about knowing where a good bench rifle could be, and as some of you know, I ended up buying it.

Today, the scope arrived for it, and tonight, I shot my first custom rifle.

Because of the barrel tuner, the guys at St Marys couldn't boresight it with the boresight gizmo, so I had to put it on the bench and do it the old fashioned way - look down the barrel at the target (I'd set it at 25m), and wind the scope so it was on the same target. Some shots later, the target went downrange to 50m, and I really sighed it in then.

I shot a PB on the SSAA BR30 card of 2450 (my PB set the other night with my Sako was 1935).

I took with me a couple of the NSW Smallbore 50m BR cards (which I shoot at Sutherland), and shot a PB of 200.19. A perfect is 200.20. Admittedly, this was shot indoors, so no wind, but the thing I take away with me about this score is that this rifle shoots! Good lord it shoots! So, now I know I can do it, and the rifle can do it, I should hopefully score my first outdoors 200.something some day soon!

- bec
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Good onya bec ... its a great rifle and you will enjoy it ...
You should carry an old rag around to protect it from the drooling of your competitors.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

WOW! a custom rifle already too. c'mon, post a pic. was it that fancy blue one on here with all the shiney bits on it?

bloody great score, even if i don't know what your shooting at 8)
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Bec,

Good stuff. You should cruise the ranks now.

Regards

Sean
Brett33
.17 HMR

Post by Brett33 »

Great shooting Bec, I assume you are talking about the FWB I built.

Sounds like you have natural talent and now a good rifle, even if I do say so.

Can I ask what ammo those scores were shot with. My new action arrived yesterday, I am fitting the same barrel (Maker, groves, bore dia, and outside dia) cutting the chamber with the same reamer and I am loosing interest with my current ammo.

Brett
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

Post by SnipeWench »

Hiya Brett,
Brett33 wrote:Great shooting Bec, I assume you are talking about the FWB I built.
Yup, that's the one!
Sounds like you have natural talent and now a good rifle, even if I do say so.
Thanks! :oops: I must have some talent, but still have a long way to go before I can even contemplate outshooting the likes of you guys!
Can I ask what ammo those scores were shot with. My new action arrived yesterday, I am fitting the same barrel (Maker, groves, bore dia, and outside dia) cutting the chamber with the same reamer and I am loosing interest with my current ammo.
When Les delivered the rifle, he gave me a box of Lapua Midas+ ammo. My scores last night were shot with Lapua Midas+. Haven't tried any other ammo yet, though I don't think I will either. I can see having a Sako hungry for R50, and a FWB hungry for Lap Midas ammo is gonna get rather expensive!

How much is Lapua Midas+ for a brick?

- bec
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

Post by SnipeWench »

andrewk wrote:WOW! a custom rifle already too. c'mon, post a pic. was it that fancy blue one on here with all the shiney bits on it?

bloody great score, even if i don't know what your shooting at 8)
No, it was this one:

(that's a piccie taken by someone else well before I bought it)

- bec
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

is that a cz/brno action?
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

oh ps, very nice, very nice.
Brett33
.17 HMR

Post by Brett33 »

Nice of Les to give you a packet of ammo, when he bought the rifle I had a brick of that ammo waiting for me at my LGS that I had tested and the rifle liked. I let him buy the brick.

I think Midas plus is about $260 a brick, depending on where you buy it.

Brett
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

Brett33 wrote: I think Midas plus is about $260 a brick, depending on where you buy it.

Brett
holy shit batman! i can get 6 bricks of winny subs or 5 bricks of eleys for that. thank god my lithgow has beans on toast taste in ammo :P
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Got to love the old Lithgow's Andrew