Ruger VT's

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
17MachIV
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Re: Ruger VT's

Post by 17MachIV »

Picked mine up today, a ruger VT in .223 and put a Bushnell 5-15 X50 Elite on it.

When I got home threw some load together and went to sight it in.

1st target at 50 meters had 3 shot tight ragged holes

2nd target at 100 mts, still tight 3 shot goups, how happy am I?

All this with no tweaking of loads yet, so should get better.

Tonight off to annoy some furries, hopefully should be a good night

regards
Steve
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Who said VT's weren't up there with the most accurate factory rifles under 2k?
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

kjd wrote:Who said VT's weren't up there with the most accurate factory rifles under 2k?
Not Guilty Sir!!
17MachIV

Post by 17MachIV »

Well went out spotlighting last night, 1st thing to stick its head was a hare at about 60 yrds, scope was beautiful to look through under the light, result = 1 hare minus most of his head, the lap dogs at home will be happy. Managed a cat and 2 foxes and a number of those critters that I have shoot and lie tags for, all head shot. I am very happy with this combo, so out again tonight to another couple of paddocks to annoy some more critters

Steve
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I think you have made a great choice both in rifle and scope.

The only problem..............WHERE ARE THE PHOTO`S :(
17MachIV

Post by 17MachIV »

This is it, it is shooting like a dream, very happy with the rifle and scope.

Steve

als008
.17 HMR

Re: Ruger VT's - I bought one!!!

Post by als008 »

Well after alot of reading on this forum this seems to have been a very much debated topic. I have been looking now for a long range varminter and have checked out quite a few rifles now. I went to the local gunshop and buy chance he had a Ruger VT in .223 sitting on the shelf. After having a bit of a feel its not the smoothest action i have felt, and the "two stage trigger" felt weird at first i was basically it looked a good sold rifle. I liked the wide fore end and was nice when pulled up the my shoulder. Once i found out the price i just knew i had to have it, i believe it was old stock price so was quite happy with the deal. Now a weeks wait for the PTA and will see for myself how good these things are.

Cant wait :rifle:
kjd
Site Admin

Re: Ruger VT's - I bought one!!!

Post by kjd »

als008 wrote:Well after alot of reading on this forum this seems to have been a very much debated topic. I have been looking now for a long range varminter and have checked out quite a few rifles now. I went to the local gunshop and buy chance he had a Ruger VT in .223 sitting on the shelf. After having a bit of a feel its not the smoothest action i have felt, and the "two stage trigger" felt weird at first i was basically it looked a good sold rifle. I liked the wide fore end and was nice when pulled up the my shoulder. Once i found out the price i just knew i had to have it, i believe it was old stock price so was quite happy with the deal. Now a weeks wait for the PTA and will see for myself how good these things are.

Cant wait :rifle:
Adjust the trigger mate, you'll get use to the two stages. The action will smooth up over time!
als008
.17 HMR

Post by als008 »

Yet cant wait to get this thing and have a shoot.

How light can the trigger be brought down too, and can the first stage pull be brought down to 0 so it does'nt free travel??
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

als008 wrote:Yet cant wait to get this thing and have a shoot.

How light can the trigger be brought down too, and can the first stage pull be brought down to 0 so it does'nt free travel??
The first one I don't know how light but it can be made very nice. The second I don't think is impossible. I think you will not have a problem with it once you get use to it!
17MachIV

Post by 17MachIV »

Mine is still a 2 stage trigger, but it has been polished, very nice letoff, I quite like the 2 stage. I am not going to worry about changing mine. The whole setup has impressed me, the rifle, the scope and its ability to shoot.

My son has just ordered one in .204 and will probably put the same scope on top.

regards
Steve
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I just recently bought another VT in 204.Someone had played with the trigger and It had one stage.It was bloody awful and broke between 3 and 3.5 lbs.Adamjp sent me a link on how to adjust it and now it is quiet reasonable.If I find the link I will post it.Ruger Model 77 VT Trigger

by

"Shaun"

Please Note: This is not to be confused with the trigger adjustment for the standard Model 77. This is the instructions for the two stage trigger found on the heavy barrel V/T. For instructions on the standard Model 77 trigger, see "Doc's" Model 77 Trigger Adjustment instructions in this tech section.

Webmasters note: This information is strictly for reference purposes only and is not intended for use by anyone other than a qualified gunsmith. The author, nor the webmaster will be liable for any incidents or accidents that occur through the use of this information. In laymans terms, if you are not a qualified gunsmith DO NOT MESS with your trigger. Leave it to the professionals!

Here is how I do it; First make sure the rifle is unloaded (DUH!, yeah I know, but it has to be said)with the bolt cocked and in battery. Back out all three adjustment screws three or four turns.

1. Turn the sear engagement screw(bottom)in SLOWLY until you hear the
"click" of the secondary trigger searing off, STOP immediately. Now raise the bolt handle and back this screw out an additional 1/8 turn.

2. Now lock the bolt down again, and turn the overtravel(middle)screw clockwise until it bottoms against the secondary trigger. Now place and maintain rearward pressure on the trigger, and slowly turn the screw counterclockwise until the trigger sears off(dry fires). Turn this same screw an additional 1/2 turn.

3. Turn the pull weight adjustment screw(top) clockwise, checking every 1/4 turn or so until you get a pull weight of 2 to 2.5 lbs. When you are finished, cycle the bolt HARD, rap the butt on the ground etc., etc. Check with the safety in all three positions. Above all, make sure it's SAFE!

That's all there is to it. Good hunting and be safe.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

The spring that gives return pressure to the trigger cannot be backed off too far (light). It won't work by pushing the trigger back to battery, causing the trigger to improperly engage the sear. You will get a crap single stage trigger, no engagement at all or a working two stage trigger.

A fix that I worked out for this involved a cheap click-click biro and the tools to take the grub screw out of the housing.
The biro gave it's life for the operation :o , but with the sucessful transplant the trigger weight is knocked back quite a bit - and still with positive engagement on the sear.
Turns out biro springs are pretty much the same dia, much much lighter and are easy to cut to the right length. Don't cost a fortune either. :D
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

My VT in 22ppc has had the first stage removed and is down to 8-10 ozs.
John Holmes in Tamworth has done shit loads of these trigger jobs and i haven't had a problem in over 5 years.

Steve
shotout

Post by shotout »

1 word discribes the vt ruger barrels- CRAP , but hey ,at least there good tomato stakes!. :lol: