Which Rimfire Rifle Is Better?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!

Overall, Which Rimfire Rifle is better in accuracy and quality.

Poll ended at Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:45 pm

CZ 452/453
88%
Marlin Bolt Action Rimfire
12%

Total votes: 50

kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: Which Rimfire Rifle Is Better?

Post by kjd »

Brad Y wrote:Whatever Keith. We are talking about marlins and CZ's and not hyundias and subarus are we? Your saying CZ's are better in your experience thats cool. But its only your experience. In mine and by the sounds of it Seans too we are saying theres nothing wrong with the CZ's, but marlins are a very underrated rifle. Time you opened your eyes a bit more and thought about that last statement in my last post, before jumping to an assumption.
Ok, you might be saying that Marlins are underrated, Sean is saying they are a better rifle.

I don't agree with either statement but Sean in my opinion and the opinion of 37 out of the 42 that have voted in the poll the CZ's are better overall than the Marlin.

In regards to the car comparison you totally missed my analogy then as I was not turning it into a debate about cars but showing you how your point was moot.

Either way have your opinion, I'll have mine. I have used both and one is like an Excel and one is like a Subaru. Sure the CZ isn't like a BMW or Merc (annies and FWB's) but its a nice rifle that represents great value for money for the quality. CZ is mid level and marlin's are entry level their prices represent that but so does their quality.

Have your Marlins because I don't want one.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

kjd wrote: Ok, you might be saying that Marlins are underrated, Sean is saying they are a better rifle. I don't agree with either statement but Sean in my opinion and the opinion of 37 out of the 42 that have voted in the poll the CZ's are better overall than the Marlin......
Now come on Keith, value for money Marlin has it all over CZ and not only Marlin but Savage too.

Let me say that in terms of accuracy and I own three Bruno's and have owned a Marlin and used numerous out at Silverdale (usually sighting them in and tightening scopes).

On paper they are a very impressive rifle. My only gripe on the 22lr is that it is not available in the Fejan thumb hole stock (Bummer).

I have owned quiet a few different models of Brunos (and still have three), I have owned a Savage, a Marlin and currently own a 54 Anschutz and I am about to take possession of a Walther and a new Marlin. I certainly wouldn't categorise myself as an entry level individual, then again I'm certainly not Australia's greatest rimfire BR Champion (apparently that title was recently claimed by one of the Woolahra members) :mrgreen:

As for polls, I have seen numerous dodgy polls and asserting that 42 people from a forum of 2000 members is hardly a consensus given that only a minute fraction decided to participate.

One could then ask if they are familiar with both rifles?

In fact it reminds me of what Marcus Aurelius once declared when he stated that "The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject....."

But Keith how about it, we have a shoot-out at Silverdale. Marlin vs CZ. We could even declare it the Ausvarmint team challenge and include a few more competitors for each team?

It would be fun, it could even become an annual event.

Regards

Sean
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

I can't comment I do own a brno mod 2 but never touched or even seen a marlin.

But AusV def needs a postal match of some sort :D
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

A postal shoot would be fun,prove nothing...bit like this pole but fun never the less.

Regards Chris.
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by 1010011010 »

I have shot more rabbits with single shot 1901 winchester with open sights than anything else so where does that leave me? :lol:

Until I get fair use of both rifles concerned I'll keep my opinion to myself, up until that point it would merely be an uneducated guess!

Currently my experience with 452's is not all that crash hot as I had to send my .17HMR (CZ 452-2E) varmint back to the shop about 6 times as I had quite a few problems when I bought it (misfires, not feeding, not ejecting, etc).
Now that all it's issues have been sorted it's a nice rifle to shoot!

Cheers

Mick
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

I would Sean and no offense intended but I really don't have a great desire to associate with you. Nothing against you I just don't think we'd get along.
You are right though marlins are cheaper than cz's though you get what you pay for and you get more with the CZ.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Well, this supposedly light hearted banter has taken a downturn. :lol:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Keith, he acts normal in person. In fact if you hadnt googled him you might think he was Ok.
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

trevort wrote:Keith, he acts normal in person. In fact if you hadnt googled him you might think he was Ok.
Mate,

Your pretty normal 'offline' yourself.

Regards

Sean
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

fenring wrote:Well, this supposedly light hearted banter has taken a downturn. :lol:
Its harsh I know but sean is just that little bit too extreme for me.
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

Now Keith, the great thing about shooting is that we wear ear muffs and you don't have to listen to let alone converse with those that you either don't trust, don't like or wouldn't otherwise associate with.

However, you may be surprised. We may have more in common then you realise. I was very surprised when I learned that blokes from work lived in Picton, as they didn't fit the bushwacker description.

I would be more then happy to loan the rifle to a mate (who happens to be on this forum) and like you he aint no benchrester and you could compete against him.

Regards

Sean
Rath
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Rath »

I'm failing to understand what is proven by having two different shooters shoot two different rifles? How would that in any way lend itself to a credible comparison of the rifles?
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Rath wrote:I'm failing to understand what is proven by having two different shooters shoot two different rifles? How would that in any way lend itself to a credible comparison of the rifles?
Short answer is "Nothing and it doesn't" :) .

Regards Chris.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

i'm starting to think sean and keith should get married...... they argue like they are :lol:
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

Rath wrote:I'm failing to understand what is proven by having two different shooters shoot two different rifles? How would that in any way lend itself to a credible comparison of the rifles?
Well we could have both shooters trial both rifles, however if one was biased who is to say that he wouldn't pull shots? But of course the Marlin would be the disadvantaged as the Bruno is allegedly the superior firearm.

The only way to effectively do this is to campaign the Marlin in Sporter Class and brass a few of the Bruno shooters from the mound. I will though write an article on the rifle when I finally acquire it.

Regards

Sean