Good front rest

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Re: Good front rest

Post by a.JR »

Hi trev , No never been to wodonga. Yes i have a machine shop in my shed at home ,i make most everything..JR. Pic of new H/G rest
Trev wrote:AJ

Well done mate, that is agood looking piece of kit. outa interest, have you been to the Wodonga range with that. I have seen one very similar to that at our range.

I presume you must have a machine shop in your back yard to turn out work like that.
IMG_0763 (Medium).JPG
284win
Favourite Cartridge: .284

Post by 284win »

On the question of rests, I'm looking for a good but reasonably priced coaxial top. I've seen the SEB & Farley units but how does the SEA unit sold by BRT shape up??
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Trev

The rest you have seen at Wodonga is Ian Davis.

I really like the SEB rest, but to make it that little much better a counter weight is needed. After this the SEB is fantastic, and not to shabby without it.

There is a few nice coaxial HG rests turning up no too.

The Fire Control is not bad for the money, not as smooth at a SEB, but it does the job. The top that comes with it though is shit. It needs to be changed as Jason suggests.

For under $500.. I'd keep an eye out for a second hand job.

I am not a big fan of the F Class bipods.... I might get corrected here,but I think most of the top F Class shooters dont use these????

Cheers
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

The shade tree top is good,nice and compact,works well,the earlier ones like I had were a bit light for a heavy gun but the later ones have been modified slightly to accommodate heavier rifles.
Problem with purchasing a top only is that by the time you get the top and base assy there will be a fair chunk of coin tied up in the outfit.
If someone was not specificaly after a coaxial top things get a litte eazier and cheaper.
At times there are some good second hand tops for sale out of the states and here in Aust but still need a base and I was quoted around the $150-$200+ just for the freight on a farley from the states may be more now?
I have been using a Barry Edgley rest for a while now and reckon that it is great,works a treat and the build quality is excellent,It is a windage top and I paid around $750 for it delivered which is more than you are looking at I know but they can be a long term investment,it will eazily cover a RBA/BR30 target for rimfire and centrefire is a breeze.

Regards Chris.
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

HMMMM

If you bring in a SEB rest from him direct, the price isnt too bad. I think I might get one, very nice piece of kit.
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Trev,

Seb wont sell you one direct...If he has a distributor in a country you have to buy of him...Rob Carnell who owns and runs Benchrest Bulletin is the Australian distributor here...your best bet is to put out wanted to buy adds in as many Aussie shooting sites and see what happens....there are a lot of good rests out there doing nothing now that the Sebs and Farleys are so popular in benchrest circles now.

Steve
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

I would look for secondhand rests also. I am not a fan of the Oz Rep!

Cheers
Brett33
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260

Post by Brett33 »

500 wont buy you quality BR stye rest but it does not sound like you need a serious rest any way.

My next purchse will be a farley, with the dollar pretty good you can land a top and side post (no Base) to your door for about $900, then get a base made locally.
I chose the farley due to the side post height adjustment. You can get alot more movement up and down than the seb.
Brett
surferdoc26
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by surferdoc26 »

Is it possible to change the top of the caldwell BR? say with something better down the track? I shoot benchrest in our local club and currently using the car jack and what have you that I can grab there at the moment.

Finally got a decent used target rifle match 54 ( Anshutz 1407 ) last week and I am thinking of getting a better front rest, still have my first rifle though a CZ 453 and thinking of buying my mates anshutz 1813 for prone only because his selling it for a song. What can I say, once you start you can stop :?