Which Rimfire Rifle Is Better?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!

Overall, Which Rimfire Rifle is better in accuracy and quality.

Poll ended at Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:45 pm

CZ 452/453
88%
Marlin Bolt Action Rimfire
12%

Total votes: 50

fenring

Re: Which Rimfire Rifle Is Better?

Post by fenring »

The Savage MK II .22 RF we tested proved to be not just the most accurate rimfire we tested this year, but the most accurate rimfire we've ever tested, including some high-dollar rifles of exalted European origin.
:lol:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/galle ... 6#41789783
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Sean may I ask who is this Chuck Hawks,and why would I care what the mark up on Cz rifles are,you either want one or you dont same with most things.
Seeing as you have mentioned competition I would have thought that if ever there was a reason to use the right tool for the job the competitive arena would be it.........................................I and all the others that are using them must be wrong or you have an advantage that we havent discovered.
As you say I have my opinions and you have yours,be boring if everyone had the same opinion hey :wink: .

Regards Chris
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

bsg wrote:I refuse to vote.
In fact I am lodging a protest at the fact that one of the finest .22 rifles ever made and often overlooked, not to forget super accurate, has not been included.

KJD I demand that you stop this obvious racist poll till the Norinco JW15 has been added.

Brett
You mean the Chinese Brno/CZ Copy???

Sean your logic and debating skills lack. You use a reference that has someone who suspects something rather than any fact.
Either way this thread was meant to poke fun at a few who are clearly dellusional :lol: :lol: (3 it would seem). Seems 93% of polled Ausvarminter's feel the CZ is better in quality and accuracy compared to the Marlin. Which is what I suspected after my experience with the two makes.
fenring

Post by fenring »

I knew this thread was a partial pisstake - but as I said above you'd expect the CZ on average to be better turned out than a Marlin that's a good $200 cheaper. There'd be something seriously wrong if it wasn't.

CZ's are not without their own issues on occasion - if you peruse the CZ board at Rimfire Central you will see that they do. Like almost all makes.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

I'm not saying that CZs are perfect they aren't. They are however better in everyway than any of the marlins I have seen. They should be too and I think it's a great balance between price and Quality! I just took exception to a couple of folk here who can't see the night and day difference between CZ and Marlins.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

The most common problem I have encountered with the CZ is to do with not being able to extract a spent round, I have encountered at least half a dozen at Silverdale.

Now Keith, I am going to place a word in for you with Rudds advisers, it seems you are very capable at spinning a review unless of course it is your 'comprehension' skills.

Chuck stated that ".....it has long been my suspicion that CZ has a better than average mark-up built into their pricing (compared to most American brands). A little research proved this to be the case. When I compared the CZ 513 to a Savage .22 with an identical dealer cost, I found that the dealer makes an extra $21 on the CZ if he sells both at the MSRP. Believe me, that matters in a retail business......"

http://www.chuckhawks.com/cz_452_513.htm

Keith, How about when I get the new Marlin we head out to Silverdale and shoot for score?

Regards

Sean
Last edited by Curtley78 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

As said its like comparing a CZ to an Annie, but...

Im with sean, the marlin rimfires are one of the most under rated rifles around. Ive had two (a 22lr and a 17hmr) both dont have rattly magazines, and the 17hmr has shot under half MOA on one occasion from a rest and the 22lr can shoot just as good as any CZ that comes from the same shelf in a gunshop. The price is better than a CZ, sure it hasnt got such a fancy stock, but in terms of a hunting 22lr, there is no reason why the CZ can better the marlin. Both need trigger jobs and a barrel float and a competent shooter to do shoot well.

I reckon its a shame that CZ's are seen as the benchmark for rimfires in Aus. There are plenty of rifles that shoot just as good.

A more fair comparison would be the savages and the marlins. I think people will be very hard to tell them apart in terms of quality and accuracy and probably price too.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

They are a benchmark because they represent the best quality at a reasonable price.
The marlins are agricultural there is no way the marlins stack up overall to a cz. Design, build quality, accuracy and aesthetics are all stronger in the cz! The marlin gets the price category but seriously they are not comparable overall. Look at the poll it says it all.
The reason why I started this is because they were compared to each other and I thought it was silly to make the comparison due to the dramatic overall difference between the two.

CZ is not the be all and end all of the rimfire world however they are not perfect they are just light years ahead of Marlin.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

The term "better" may be up for debate here.... build quality would go to CZ while value as far as a rifle that will shoot accuratly would have to go to the Marlin. If the rifle can hit the bunny just as good as the more expensive one, it has to be better value. There should be some tweaks done to the mag(i have a rattly one) and the trigger needs work along with some floating but as i said in the thread that started all this, it is probably capable of better accuarcy than I am. Now I may not be a regular competition shooter but I hold my own under the spotlight and I hit 90% of what I shoot at.

It all depends on what your after. I was not after a "pretty" rifle as I new it would get banged up going around and that's why I went for the stainless/synth. I didn't want it to be too heavy so I got the 917v Now I actually like the shape of the marlin better than the CZ. I also will NOT buy anything not stainless. I like the look of stainless and prefer synth stocks for not getting all dinged up on the ute door. others prefer a rifle that is more refined and nicer to look at. For me that is not an issue because a "pretty" rifle that has done a few miles with me don't look pretty no more! I don't abuse them but I don't really have the time for hours of cleaning and fuss so it I focus on reliablilty rather than looks. I have only had a couple of cases not ejecting and they were federal rounds that split so really not the rifles fault(IMO). But I would not knock the accuracy of the marlin. It is more capable than me.

Oh BTW just how about we let Sean get the rifle and shoot it before we start knocking the choice. I would be quite funny indeed if he was beating CZs on a regular basis with the "cheap and nasty" rifle eh?
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

kjd wrote:
CZ is not the be all and end all of the rimfire world however they are not perfect they are just light years ahead of Marlin.
I will compromise and say yes they are more of a quality build and look maybe but hunting accuracy wise they are on par in my books.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Then I will still say they are just as good as the nut behind the butt as well. Aint no good having a shit shooter behind the butt of a CZ and try and make it perform. Same goes the opposite way, a BR shooter may make a marlin look golden.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Brad Y wrote:Then I will still say they are just as good as the nut behind the butt as well. Aint no good having a shit shooter behind the butt of a CZ and try and make it perform. Same goes the opposite way, a BR shooter may make a marlin look golden.
That is a redundant argument as that statement could be made with ANY rifle comparison whatsoever and really says nothing about the Marlin or a CZ. It doesn't change anything.
A BR would choose a CZ over a Marlin to shoot with if they had a choice as well. From the factory but especially if they had to choose from the two to make a proper BR gun from the action.

Imagine saying the Hyundai Excel is better than a Subaru Impreza RS because if a race car driver is driving the excel and a regular driver has the Impreza the race car driver will win with the Excel. He may very well win but if the driver was driving the Impreza he'd win by 2 or 3 times as much.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

kjd wrote:Imagine saying the Hyundai Excel is better than a Subaru Impreza RS because if a race car driver is driving the excel and a regular driver has the Impreza the race car driver will win with the Excel. He may very well win but if the driver was driving the Impreza he'd win by 2 or 3 times as much.
that's exactly what i was going to say except i was thinking a holden commodore instead of the subie. BUT, you beat me to it.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Whatever Keith. We are talking about marlins and CZ's and not hyundias and subarus are we? Your saying CZ's are better in your experience thats cool. But its only your experience. In mine and by the sounds of it Seans too we are saying theres nothing wrong with the CZ's, but marlins are a very underrated rifle. Time you opened your eyes a bit more and thought about that last statement in my last post, before jumping to an assumption.
Last edited by Brad Y on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

marlins may well be under-rated but i still don't think they top a cz.