Rimfire Target Rifle Shooting Forum?

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Re: Rimfire Target Rifle Shooting Forum?

Post by Curtley78 »

Rinso wrote:
Now I may be wrong here but thats what I think Brett was on about.

Its nothing new for Sean to make sweeping unsupported statements based on personnal opinion, gained from where I am not sure (certainly not from experience anyway).

Either way I am sure SnipeWench is smart enough not to listen to every Tom, Dick & Sean's opinion without due consideration of its merits or lack thereof. Afterall opinions are like arseholes arent they.
C'mon Dave,

I have nothing to gain from this and I am certainly not 'peddling' any shit like some tinkerman or on behalf for anyone else. At times listening to you is like listening to Alan Jones.

As for gaining experience, I don't recall seeing you at the State titles or....too many prize shoots, although...... perhaps you need start participating, in fact your more then welcome to come down to Sutherland, you know, we are from memory one of the top three Clubs in the State :wink:

We have two blokes running 2013's, one actually owns two and has a barrel tuner fitted with a Lilja barrel.

We have two standard 2013's neither these nor the one fitted with the Lilja would be regarded as performers.

We also have another bloke running a Hart barrel on an 18 series 54. Oddly none of these blokes are in the top three for BR. One of the blokes inspected his bore with the scope and found tooling marks and scoring in his brand new 2013.

I also know of a few shooters with Fienwerkbaus that have been brassed up severely on at least three occasions by old rifles.

Will definetely get involved in RBA next season and Dave, I hope you do too.

Dave, you got it wrong, opinions are like public servants :mrgreen:

Regards

Sean
Brett33
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260

Post by Brett33 »

Bec

If you buy the 2000 series FWB off Les, get incontact with me via this site. I built the rifle from ground up and can talk you through the way it was built, what ammo it likes and tunner adjustment. The rifle will shoot, I shot 600 44x in its first comp out (springwood prize shoot), less than 10 days after I put it together.

I am off to Sydney Today, I will be back on line Sunday night.

Brett
SnipeWench
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .50cal

Post by SnipeWench »

Heya Brett,
Brett33 wrote:
Rinso wrote:Chris,

SnipeWench is looking at a rimfire that you have a very close association with or at least did till recently, I believe it set the Orange Club record not that long ago. I think the rifle will suit her well should she go ahead with the deal.
I would love to know what rifle that is? just a hint, maker maybe.

Brett
This one:

:rifle:

- bec
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Sean Ambrose wrote:
Rinso wrote:
Now I may be wrong here but thats what I think Brett was on about.

Its nothing new for Sean to make sweeping unsupported statements based on personnal opinion, gained from where I am not sure (certainly not from experience anyway).

Either way I am sure SnipeWench is smart enough not to listen to every Tom, Dick & Sean's opinion without due consideration of its merits or lack thereof. Afterall opinions are like arseholes arent they.
C'mon Dave,

I have nothing to gain from this and I am certainly not 'peddling' any shit like some tinkerman or on behalf for anyone else. At times listening to you is like listening to Alan Jones.

As for gaining experience, I don't recall seeing you at the State titles or....too many prize shoots, although...... perhaps you need start participating, in fact your more then welcome to come down to Sutherland, you know, we are from memory one of the top three Clubs in the State :wink:

We have two blokes running 2013's, one actually owns two and has a barrel tuner fitted with a Lilja barrel.

We have two standard 2013's neither these nor the one fitted with the Lilja would be regarded as performers.

We also have another bloke running a Hart barrel on an 18 series 54. Oddly none of these blokes are in the top three for BR. One of the blokes inspected his bore with the scope and found tooling marks and scoring in his brand new 2013.

I also know of a few shooters with Fienwerkbaus that have been brassed up severely on at least three occasions by old rifles.

Will definetely get involved in RBA next season and Dave, I hope you do too.

Dave, you got it wrong, opinions are like public servants :mrgreen:

Regards

Sean
Sean a 2013 as most smiths would agree can be a bit more involved to setup and get shooting .......but shoot they can,you said that the new rifles get beat and that the old rifles get beat....................no revelations there :shock: why...............................
.......................................because thats what happens!!!!!!.
Sean put it this way only one person can win now does that mean the best rifle won or the best rifle shooter combination or just the best shooter :?: .
I dont want to sound like a tool but this happened to me at our local club comp's,I was accused of an unfair advantage by using a bench rifle in our rimfire BR comps by a couple of people.Now I said I will happily pay my fee for the day but dont count my results as I will look at it as practice.
Well that wasn't good enough so I through down the challenge of you use my rifle and ammo and I will use my CZ which other than the trigger is bog stock and if I beat you then shut the f#ck up.
Told him that he should shit it in as all he had to do was pull the trigger and they will all go into the same hole as was explained to me every comp previously.
I am sure that you know how this ended and does that mean I will use the CZ in comp.....shit no it meant not one thing just that the other bloke couldn't shoot as well as he thought and that it isnt as eazy as just pulling the trigger even if you are using good gear.
Sean doesnt matter who you are eventually you will be beat in comp by both older equipment and new equipment will it be better than you have .................not always so then is the other shooter better,more experienced than you......................................
...............................more than likely.

Regards Chris.
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

Fellas,

All I am saying is that you don't need spend big dollars on equipment. Last years Club Champion (three years running) used a 54 Anschutz with a Nikko Sterling scope, his front rest? An el cheapo Caldwell Rock.

He paid $150 for his rifle from the back pages of the 'Australian Shooter Magazine'. You have to love that.

JH beat me by 1 point for the Club Championship, surprisingly 1st 2nd and 3rd place were all using 'factory' 54's with the Caldwell Rock as front rests. This year that old 54 of mine will set a Club record but also for the State-I will keep you all informed :mrgreen:

The same rifle picked up 2nd and 3rd. Ahead of Custom barrels and those with barrel tuners.

If you think you need a Custom rifle then by all means go out and acquire one but in saying so compare the scores of Sutherlands top shooters with any other in the State, we are not using rifles that come of the assembly line in running numbers nor are we using the latest equipment.

Regards

Sean
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

Sean do you blokes shoot for group or score :?:,if it's for score tell me again what target you are using,sorry if your have already mentioned this previously.

Regards Chris.
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

Post by SnipeWench »

Chris,

We shoot for score.

20 targets @ 50m within 30min timeframe. Unlimited sighters against three targets.

Each target goes from X @ 5mm dia., 10 @ 10mm dia., 9 @ 26mm dia., 8 @ 42mm dia., 7 @ 58mm dia.

According to the chart I created, the target is about 4MOA wide @ 50m. The X is about 1/4MOA wide.

That's assuming all of my calculations are correct.

- bec
SnipeWench
.17 HMR

Post by SnipeWench »

Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

chris.tyne wrote:Sean do you blokes shoot for group or score :?:,if it's for score tell me again what target you are using,sorry if your have already mentioned this previously.

Regards Chris.
G'day Chris,

Yes, we shoot for score but in saying so it is no easy task. The only wind flags we have are set by the association and from memory are at the 15 & 40 meter mark (I may be wrong in regard to distance, I very rarely look at them and only ever do when it's gusting).

The only groups we shoot are during the sighter period. A perfect score in Small Bore is 200.20.

From memory Leannes Best with my old 54 at North Rocks over three cards during a competition was 600.51.

It is very, very competitive, the target is similiar to the BR 30 target although there are only 20 scoring shots.
peters bunny gun #1.jpg
This target was shot using a factory CZ model 2 (straight out of the box with a 12X scope).

It scored a 195.

This year from 13 of the 15 shoots I have shot 200.15s +. I have 25 scoring shoots left in the year. I am hoping to SMASH the record.

If you like I will send you a blank target. PM me if you are interested.

Regards

Sean
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Sean,
I would like to spend more time shooting rimfire but I dont have the time...as you are aware I am shooting longer yardages.
As for opinions you make sweeping statements based on what I dont usually know and when questioned cant back it up with fact in most instances or just ignore the questions.
What wins matches in any shooting are the same things (assuming your gear is capable not new just capable) those things are ... Bench/shooting technique, wind/mirage reading ability, the ability to tailor ammo or with rimfire obtain and batch ammo and the ability to back your own judgement ... I seem to recall typing this several times in another thread.
Equipment only gets you so far, after that its hard work that pays off, not technology or old guns coz they work better or anything else .... Dont know why you dont understand this??????
Sutherland mmmmm 3 hour drive for three targets at a club shoot and a 3 hour drive home ... probably not but you never know.
As for gaining experience, I don't recall seeing you at the State titles or....too many prize shoots, although...... perhaps you need start participating
Since you dont know what I have done in rimfire before you were even old enough to hold a rifle, lets not go down that road shall we ... I seem to have a few runs on the board here and there in most disciplines .. but I digress
I shall await news that you have won the Club Championship, State Titles and Nationals as the year progresses ... good luck.
harold
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by harold »

Rinso
These targets they are shooting in small bore compared to IRB targets, the 5 ring on a IRB target fits in to the 50 metre Smallbore targets at the 8 and a quarter ring, I would like to see how they go on a IRB score, Sean come up to the IRB Nationals in 2 weeks time and try out, or Rinso may be able to see if Sean can better his score at the Federal Cup next year, 10 targets should test him out, he could bring his cam, Stolle all his good gear and try out, or Rinso we may be able to travel to Sean's home range and show him how to shoot.
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

Harold,

At 50 meters, regardless, of the size of the rings, the center of any target is the same size.

LMAO.

Regards

Sean
Ron Goulding
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by Ron Goulding »

Now Now Children ,lets play nice. If you want my 2cents worth , i believe its the ammo thats the most important. If you can match it too your particular rifle ur 97% there, 1% reading the wind , 1% talent and 1% how your feeling on the day. Im not saying that those percentages are correct , but you know what im getting at. I have a 2013 and a F27 challenger, but i use a CM2 in comps because i have been lucky enough to get a sponsor. Im not trying to blow my own trumpet. What im trying to say in regards to equipment is ,Anschutz havent approached me to shoot there rifles, are they better than my cm2 , Hell YES. But they are now geting close to 5 times the price of my cm2 as well , so you d bloody well want them to be better and not just better, you d want 5 times better ! Have i won any trophies worth mentioning with the cm2 , no i havent. Did i when i uesd my 2013 , yes i did. Do i like winning , bloody oath. Buy what you can afford and or what floats ur boat and have FUN. Il be at the RBA this weekend and yes il be shooting the cm2 and there will be better rifles being used. Do i really give a shit , No, il just have better fun shit stirring all those people who choose to put crap on my cm2 when i kick there arses. And you know who you are ! Cheers Ron
PS And lets not say one target is harder than another or one decipline over another, thats just stupid ! Il shoot any target over any time limit over any distance. Feel free to send me some and il shoot em and then retun them and you can all have a laugh !
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

Hmmm Sean who scores the targets,Ron I wish the wind accounted for only 1%..............................................I would do a lot better than I do if that was the case :wink: ,and yeah I know what you mean I was trying to be funny.
Hey you can all have a laugh at me after the IRB at Coffs harbour in a couple of weeks........................first time at that target,score shooting I deffinately have trouble with but not to worry.

Regards Chris.
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

chris.tyne wrote:Hmmm Sean who scores the targets,Ron I wish the wind accounted for only 1%..............................................I would do a lot better than I do if that was the case....

Regards

Chris.
Now Chris,

The Small Bore Association is affiliated to the TRA who in turn is affiliated to the ISSF. As for scoring targets we have an official scorer and statistician.

We also have a Club competition known as 'winter league' where all Clubs in the State compete against each other via postal shoot. Each year there is also the State and National titles.

I do agree with Ron in regard to ammunition and I have observed very average B graders improve their scores substantially having been given fire.

Chris, Come and shoot with the Small Bore Association, learn to shoot the yardage with-out the use of flags.

Regards

Sean