Electronic target cams

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Electronic target cams

Post by malcolm »

I've just read a post re- Townsville electronic target cams. I've also just returned from the Bateman's Bay Fly Shoot and almost everyone is discussing target cams---- either wireless or hard wired. In the next few weeks, Penrith gunshow is on and one fellow there has a wireless target cam setup for sale, either 500m or 1000 metres. I've been playing with his 500m setup---- mind you it can run off 2x 9 volt batteries----- and for an outlay of $90.00 it has to be a go-er. I've had responces like " I'll shoot that f #$% ing camera if I see it " and "it's an unfair advantage " and even as redneck as " why do you want to know where your bullets are going "----- but all I'm saying is electronic target cams have to be cheaper than a $3,000.00 Leica spotting scope and they won't be affected by mirage.
Anyway--- I'm sure any discussion is healthy discussion so let's see what eventuates------- after all, this is the 21st century.
Malcolm
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Re: Electronic target cams

Post by cam_mackps2 »

I'll start, i am no target shooter (socially or in the paddock only).

If you were the only person using a target cam it would give you an advantage (may be seen as unfair) but a high powered quality spotting scope does the same thing.
But if a range has them setup for every shooting position that isn't fixed at one range (moveable from 100-1000yards/meters) it would even everything up.

They are a great idea to allow you to see the bullet holes and target clearly. For long range sightin session they would be amazing.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Malcolm

Firstly, congratulations...

Second... No target cam's.... FULL STOP!

It is a part of the competition, you cant see them to bad I say. Have faith in your wind reading skills, and your rifle and just shoot! Sure it is great to see the shots fall, but everyone is in the same boat.

As for shooting the camera... I have seen the potential of a rifle or two at the Bay, and could nearly guarrantee a first round hit :mrgreen:

A $3000 spotting scope doesnt mean shit... when the mirage is running they too are useless.

A camera system is very easy to make, and I have all the information to make the sucker. I was making one for practice and load development, that is it.

I say I am against them.. kepp the competition simple, and keep it even!

Cheers
Last edited by Ackley Improved on Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Fellas,

Well....First of all, I thought that was the great thing about Fly shooting, in that there are literally no rules and that it was open to the ingenuity of the individual.

I recall someone stating that they purchased a 60 X scope because they thought there group size was suffering. Not everyone can afford a Schmidt & Bender, March rifle scope, Custom rifle built upon a Bat action, a set of BRT wind flags and a top of the range spotting scope with Schott Glass, however, the majority of shooters can afford a wireless cam and TV monitor.

Technology would also entice more shooters into the competition.

The wireless cameras could be regulated much like the wind flags in BR and once set they can't be removed until after the competition and can be used by others sharing the bench.

If we were 'fair dinkum' in regard to advantages why not limit the scope magnification to 36 X and as for reading the wind, why not F**k wind flags off altogether?

Regards

Sean
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Lost interest
Last edited by Rinso on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john mc
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x47

Post by john mc »

Hi fellow long range shooters how many times have you been out to your range to sight in a rifle or build up a better load for long range event only to waist half of your time and good conditions (if your lucky) running back and foward to check your targets -- like a few have told us a 60 power scope does not gaurantee you will see the bullet holes at 500m or 600yd and 1000 yds -- and you have to call a stop to all shooters using the range at the time --
dont you think a target cam system would make life a bit easier ? I am not saying that it should be used in competition at all but if we follow our american friends it will happen sooner or later - the number of shooters that use target cams is growing and the larger shooting complexes in the states are fitting such systems so that they can let more shooters enjoy there sport
in australia a lot of our ranges do not have working butts and we have to rely on splash plates or sighter targets to check the conditions at the time of the event - all this takes time out of the available shooting session and therefor limits the number of shooters or the number of targets that can be shot in an event - i think that with our growing membership in the long range competition group of shooters ( i really hope we try to attract more guys and gals to our sport ) we should take advantage of every little thing that lets more people participate in a healthy - safe -outdoor sport
dont bury your heads in the sand and say its O K to use the old way - dad did it for years that way and it worked fine - YOU CAN'T STOP PROGRESS just like you can't stop getting any older Johyn Mc :rifle:
WhiteMeat
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223AI

Post by WhiteMeat »

Why not just turn the tv screens off during comps and switched back on for general range fun times ?
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Post by a.JR »

Hi Mal , I commend you for thinking outside the square but you will have a hard time convincing people that have been competing for a long time ,especially in FLY .. Townsville ,if it were ever to happen ,that is that we go to the New rifle range then we would have to use *Target Cams* at 600/1000.. Just because the already implemented design of the range supplies NO way to sight on the 600 or 1000yd target .. That said the only way i would agree with the use of cams in competition is if the cameras were used only in the sighter period , the extra need is for the ON/OFF control to be placed in the hands of the RO.. At the beginning of the record period the cameras would be turned off just like the are now when the sighter target disappears at the butts.. Now you can see the extra problems for the FLY match because there is no cut off between the 3 sighters allowed and the 5 record shots .. If QLD were to get back the ability to conduct FLY matchs in the future then i for one would not agree to cams in the FLY match (we would then use the traditional sighter plates).. The main reason i'm drawn to the LRBR events is because of the fact that you can't see where the previous *record* shot has gone ,it's then up to the shooter to work out a way to achieve good groups & scores without the assistance of knowing where each shot lands , and then from only the previously gathered info during the sighter period .. Shooters from the US and AUS prove each Sunday that you can shoot great scores.groups in the traditional manner and i agree.. Please take this post as it was intended ,trying to help!..JR..Jeff Rogers
malcolm wrote:I've just read a post re- Townsville electronic target cams. I've also just returned from the Bateman's Bay Fly Shoot and almost everyone is discussing target cams---- either wireless or hard wired. In the next few weeks, Penrith gunshow is on and one fellow there has a wireless target cam setup for sale, either 500m or 1000 metres. I've been playing with his 500m setup---- mind you it can run off 2x 9 volt batteries----- and for an outlay of $90.00 it has to be a go-er. I've had responces like " I'll shoot that f #$% ing camera if I see it " and "it's an unfair advantage " and even as redneck as " why do you want to know where your bullets are going "----- but all I'm saying is electronic target cams have to be cheaper than a $3,000.00 Leica spotting scope and they won't be affected by mirage.
Anyway--- I'm sure any discussion is healthy discussion so let's see what eventuates------- after all, this is the 21st century.
Malcolm
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

The Fly is about 3 sighters and 5 record shots, not 7 sighters and 1 record shot. This is where the 1K spotting sytem lost it for me, unlimited sighters in the sighter period and then 9 more sighters for 1 final record shot if you were shooting HG. There is karma here though, the blind method is still the choice if you wish do well in group and as it has shown with score as well with JRs 2008 six match score agg of 96.xx. Cams are a soulution to a problem that never existed in the first place. The only place for cams is for seeing sighters if there is no other option like we have where our range is a soft target range and steel of any sort is prohibited.
If any one thinks that by seeing your bullet holes at 500 m is a sure way to getting good scores, then you have not shot enough or cannot get your head around such a simple process. The thing that really pisses me off about this seeing bullet holes debate is that those most likely to bleat about it probably come from the point blank brigade. If you wish to see bullet holes for all your BR shooting, the simple answer is to stay with point blank BR.

Jethro Bodine, Loose Cannon.
Iggy
Favourite Cartridge: .223 Rem

Post by Iggy »

Malcolm

PM sent
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Tony Z wrote:The Fly is about 3 sighters and 5 record shots, not 7 sighters and 1 record shot. This is where the 1K spotting sytem lost it for me, unlimited sighters in the sighter period and then 9 more sighters for 1 final record shot if you were shooting HG. There is karma here though, the blind method is still the choice if you wish do well in group and as it has shown with score as well with JRs 2008 six match score agg of 96.xx. Cams are a soulution to a problem that never existed in the first place. The only place for cams is for seeing sighters if there is no other option like we have where our range is a soft target range and steel of any sort is prohibited.
If any one thinks that by seeing your bullet holes at 500 m is a sure way to getting good scores, then you have not shot enough or cannot get your head around such a simple process. The thing that really pisses me off about this seeing bullet holes debate is that those most likely to bleat about it probably come from the point blank brigade. If you wish to see bullet holes for all your BR shooting, the simple answer is to stay with point blank BR.

Jethro Bodine, Loose Cannon.
I'm with you!

I think the biggest advancement would be in wind indicators... having a better hold on whats happening between yourself and the target far out weighs seeing the results at the target after you've shot.

Cheers
lefty

Post by lefty »

Is there any difference between the target cams suggested here in this thread and electronic target systems with a display next to the shooter ?
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

What ghz and watts you planning on running? This is a big call for wireless video transmission.. and is the reason why I did not build one!

Cheers
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Lost interest
Last edited by Rinso on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GJS
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 30-06/.204

Post by GJS »

Could someone point me to the rules for 1000br and fly shoots and the controling body/s. I've been thinking of trying it out.
Thanks

Glenn