SAKO TRG 22

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Hawkeye77
Favourite Cartridge: .243Win

SAKO TRG 22

Post by Hawkeye77 »

Hello again... (thanks Knackers)

I know you guys are probably bored of my latest posts by now, so i'll make this one the last for a while. I have been all over the shop in regards to what path i want to go down: full custom, semi-custom, high-end factory, etc. I think i have found something i would be very happy with, albeit the empty wallet... :oops: :lol:

The Sako TRG 22 (.308win) :rifle2:

I fondled one for a long while in my LGS yesterday and i must say that they are very nice indeed. I think i fell in love!!! :mrgreen:
I just wanted to know what the general consensus one these rifles... I know that the price is outlandish to say the least, although i am VERY well looked after and my LGS (it helps if you grew up with the dealer :wink: ), its still well into the full custom ball park. The only thing is they can have one in the shop with in a few days and i could be shooting it within 2 weeks!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Does anyone here own or have they spent some time with these rifles? Did you like them? User friendliness? Accuracy?
I know that Sako are renowned for their build quality and out-of-the box accuracy and i have yet to hear a bad word about them besides the fact that they will bankrupt you... The only

I just want some opinions before i hand over the cash, i've still got 4 days or so to come to my senses!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know you guys will probably say "just wait and get a custom", but from a factory rifle point of view would the TRG be a good purchase?

Thanks guys,

Hawk
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Re: SAKO TRG 22

Post by Ackley Improved »

Good way piss money up the wall, you've answered your own question.

Surgeon action- $2100
Custom barrel chambered- $900
Jewell trigger $450
Fully adj. A5 Stock $1200
Bedded- $250
Bottom metal- $500

Thats $5400 and the prices are over estimated due to getting stuff yourself!

Bipods- $200
rings- $250
Scope- $2100

Now, saying that.. I have a mate with a TRG that is wanting to sell. It is all black version, Zeiss 3-12 scope, original TRG bipod ($800), had less than 2 boxes of ammo. I think he is wanting $5500 for the lot, firm.

Spare mag's will make you cringe when you buy also.

I would have Mr Clancy build me one! You choose all the parts, and you choose the chambering. 6.5X47L seems a nice round that works well from 308 length mag. Thats what I am having built!

Cheers
Hawkeye77

Post by Hawkeye77 »

I know AI, i know.

Its a HEAP of money to spend... :?
Is your mates the parkerised or the blued metal finish? What model Zeiss? Does he have any pics? contact details?
Why does he want to sell it? Anything wrong with it or he just wants to sell it and buy a custom? What sort of groups was he shooting with it?

I know the accessories are unbelievably priced, ( $400+ for a spare magazine!!!) the only thing i would buy extra would be the muzzle brake. Ive already got a bipod.

:? :? :?

Hawk
Rath
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Rath »

Hawk, do you reload?
Hawkeye77

Post by Hawkeye77 »

No not yet.

I havent the space or time to reload at my place... well the time aspect, thats really just another way of saying im too lazy but i dont really have the space at my house to do it, im sure the missus would love having the press on the kitchen bench right next to her mixer!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

I own a sako trg 22.
I bought it off a mate it has a 308win,22-250AI and 6br barrels on it.Over the time I have owned it I also screwed on a 243 and 260 and 6.5x55 barrrels.
The rifle shoots exceedingly well.See the section in varmit rifle profiles.
Whilst a custom rifle can be made for similar money I will say that the action on mine is the equal of or better then a Barnard action.Not quite a stiller or Bat but a lot better then a lot of other actions customs included.
I reload and this rifle just bloody well shoots.They are accurate and a great platform for switch barrels.
I would suggest a custom but if you like the feel of the TRG buy it.(Mine just fits my hand and body really well and every time I shoulder it I have absolute confidence that it will be putting the projectile exactly where I want it.)
cheers,
Macca
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

If you aren't planning on reloading go buy a Tikka or Sako Varminter and enjoy it you will never see the full benefit out of a custom rig or a TRG if you are putting factory ammo through it ;-)
mistit
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 220 swift ack

Post by mistit »

Ive owned a trg (macca bought mine) and ive got to be honest they are well made ,well balanced,and for shooting out of a vehicle hard to beat.However i would now spend my money on a custom rifle any day of the week.(sorry macca) You would probably build a switch barrel for the same money..unless you can pick one up second hand for the right price ...(unlikely) :D
strifer

Post by strifer »

Love me TRG I picked it up off Andrew from lightforce last year for a nice price.

I have a couple of other TLA rifles and will do something custom in the future
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

$800 for a bloody bipod :x Good things come to those who wait ! but if you've got more money than patience, well maybe the TRG is the way to go. Or how about someone else's custom rifle up for sale - you see some very nice ones up for sale occasionally.
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

That is a bloody beautiful bit of gear strifer, I was looking at buying it myself but was a bit stretched at the time and couldn't swing the ready cash. Congrats on getting hold of it!!

As for the Sako TRG hawkeye, your choice mate, I am sure you will be happy with it. As I have said before the choice is between buying the quality factory rifle and shooting now, or spending time collecting bits, having the rifle built and shooting (quite a while) later. Maybe more bucks at the start but the fun begins earlier.
Hawkeye77

Post by Hawkeye77 »

Strifer, that was the one Andrew had sitting in AGS for a while there wasnt it? Its got the Anti Refection Device on the from objective if i remember correctly... looks great with the viper01 paint job on it. I think he was asking around $8000?! Could be wrong.
So your happy with it then? Shooting some tight groups with it? Where abouts do you shoot it, which range i mean? I usually go to Para myself.

Its good to hear that it instills confidence in your shooting Macca... That counts for alot :D
What you said about the grip... i agree with you 100% there, i've got big meat hooks and i seldom shoulder a rifle that fills my palm, but this one just seemed to fit perfectly. The only niggles i had about the stock was that the cheek and butt piece wasn't instantly adjustable, i believe it can be done with spacers but must be 'bolted' in? No necessarily a bad thing, as once you've set it there shouldn't be any need for further adjustment. Another thing with that is does it (once raised) interfere with removing the bolt? I've found this to be a problem with my T3 Supervarmint.

And also the trigger guard and trigger shoe... they are plastic, are they not? perhaps they just felt that way...

Cheers BC, no worries :wink:
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

The only niggles i had about the stock was that the cheek and butt piece wasn't instantly adjustable, i believe it can be done with spacers but must be 'bolted' in? No necessarily a bad thing, as once you've set it there shouldn't be any need for further adjustment. Another thing with that is does it (once raised) interfere with removing the bolt? I've found this to be a problem with my T3 Supervarmint.
My McMillan prone stock has one of their adjustable butt pieces which is easily adjusted without spacers etc - a fairly expensive option. That stock and my McMillan A5 (butt adjustable by spacers) have adjustable cheek pieces that need to be lowered to remove the bolt from the action. I think that is just a feature of that type of cheekpiece as they need to be a good way forward on the stock to set up a scope for eye relief and still get a good cheek weld. Easy enough to put a small mark on stock body and cheek piece so it can be correctly repositioned without mucking about too much.
Rath
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Rath »

f you aren't planning on reloading go buy a Tikka or Sako Varminter and enjoy it you will never see the full benefit out of a custom rig or a TRG if you are putting factory ammo through it
Exactly right KJD, which is why I asked, without being able to tune a load to the rifle factory v custom is a lot less significant IMHO.

Rath
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Hawkeye, you dont reload and your thinking of an 8K factory rifle. Crazy, just crazy