.223 load

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
JBS2

.223 load

Post by JBS2 »

just bought a savage vlp in .223 with a 1:9 twist.im interested in starting reloading and would like a load that would be suitable for this rifle.ill mainly be using it for spotlighting for dog meat and pigs.any info would be good

thanks Jon
shotout

Re: .223 load

Post by shotout »

i have the same rifle & it shoots as in the picture . cant go wrong with these savage,s . i shoot mine out to 600 yards with ease . try anywhere between 25 to 25.5 grain of 2208 behind a 63gr sierra varmint sp projectile - thats what i use & as in pics it serves me well . hope u enjoy your savage as much as i do .
Attachments
P1170002.JPG
P1250005.JPG
chris thomas
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: na

Post by chris thomas »

A Friend has a older model Savage with a 9 twist Barrel and it's just so accurate. Does not not matter what he puts though it it just shoots. I have shot it and put 10 shots in side 20mm at 200m with 40 grainers and on the same day put 5 75 grain Amax's in to 30mm at 300 yards.

Savage CF rifle's are one of the best kept secrets around.

I parted with two arms two legs a kidney and a heap of cash to build my .223 and it's no better than his savage. Sure the action is smoother and the trigger is better but as far as accuracy the savage is great
tassie223
Favourite Cartridge: 25-06

Post by tassie223 »

I have been using Savages for over 30yrs now and never had a problem , cant say that about other brands and Ive had a lot of them.
dangaff
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .204

Post by dangaff »

70 grain berger VLD?

Should stabilise, anything over i doubt.

Since your going for meat on the pigs right?

Headshot's im going to guess, should screw them up nicely and anything less than this
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Well went out with a mate tonight to show off the new toy. We got talking about ammo and re loading came up. He suggested I get in touch with a bloke in the area who reloads .223s. He reckons he really knows his stuff and would be well worth the effort. I say effort as he is a very.....well difficult man. Basically a quick trip to his place will be at least 2 hours and the amount of info I get would be enough to go into gunsmithing myself! He does reckon though that if I supply the brass, powder, primers and pills he would reload them for me. Well I reckon I will do it. Seems like a very good opportunity to see first hand how an experienced reloader goes about it. Even though my ears will be sore!