Poor mans custom rifle

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

great stuff mate it looks and shoots like a beauty!!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

You have selected an extra nice piece of wood, as I have. But looking at your rifle has cost me more money. Seeing the way it came out has my decision made not to try it myself. A clutz like me could stuff it up. I will have to pay him for a finishing and checkering job to ensure the right result on something that can look so good.
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

DiamondT ,
Good job . Some professional checkering would set that stock off nicely when funds permit . Don't put a gloss coat on it . More oil if needed followed by stock or furniture wax will give it a nice soft lustre .
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Great looking rifle you have! I can add something about feeding though. I built one on a Savage, and it wouldn't feed for shit, ended up using a single shot follower in it. That worked out fine. We used an old Hart BR barrel that didn't shoot "quite good enough" for BR, so we got it cheap enough. I had the action sitting there, and we used a stock that would accept the BIG Hart tube (1.25" diameter) that was surplus to our needs. It worked well, and shot even better, but it was too heavy for everyday usage, so I sold it. It was a prairie dog killing machine, but too much for lugging around. It had the typical 1-14" twist barrel that BR shooters like so much, so I stuck with 70 grain bullets and under, which worked exceptionally well. I used Hodgdon's H-322 mostly.
Stonewall

Post by Stonewall »

"Poor mans custom rifle" - Ha!
With some thinking you have put together a fine rifle . My first thought after seeing the photos was " How does it shoot ? " A beautiful rifle now -I really like that stock design and wood. I would leave it like this for a while - everthing just goes well together now . I'm not sure that checkering that stock now would be an improvement unless done with more thought and extremely well. I would only change that recoil pad to one with no vents if possible-a very minor detail. A detachable flat bottomed 2'-3" block of wood would make this rifle better to shoot off bags. A aluminium plate would also work with much less effort. Lubricate your bolt lugs with a good grease !
Glenn
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Hi all. Is the 6mmbr hard on barrels? I know they are a great varmint and benchrest round but do they wear well. It may be another option I can look at.
I should look at 6mmbr.com too I suppose.
diamond T

Post by diamond T »

Nah mate,
Most of the top shooters re-chamber at 15-1800 rounds to get over 3000 rounds at top accuracy. most of us wouldnt bother, just keep shooting away for years. 30 grains of powder out of a 6mm hole aint no barrel burner. Is very mild to shoot & not to load.
cheers DT