RCBS Chargemaster and Powder

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: RCBS Chargemaster and Powder

Post by trevort »

ok, I'm just an amateur. If I ever beat you at a comp it will just be pure ass, certainly not my preparation!!!!
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

Macca

Thats what I do, set it .3 under and then tap in. Guys I know how to use the machine, was just wondering if anyone here had the same problem with ADI powder. As said before, with WIN760 it measures exactly every time because the grains are so small.
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Trev wrote:Macca

Thats what I do, set it .3 under and then tap in. Guys I know how to use the machine, was just wondering if anyone here had the same problem with ADI powder. As said before, with WIN760 it measures exactly every time because the grains are so small.
The ADI is harder to meter.Also some of the old throwers crush the granules as they close due to the stick style.
Macca
Sir osis
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by Sir osis »

Bit of clarification on my earlier post, the Chargemaster I am using is my second one as the first one I had would throw inaccurate loads so I sent it back to RCBS who replaced it with a new unit, the new unit throws a load much faster than the original and never goes over. Seems to me that they might have had a problem with some of the earlier units.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Here are some settings for the Chargemaster and usefull tips

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/?s ... r+settings
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

It seems that being able to see that you are .1 to .2 of a grain over is a problem,has anyone actually shot these load and seen what .1-.2 does as far as accuracy goes.............and at what point distance wise that it becomes apparent that accuracy is affected.
Throw under and trickle up sounds like what a lot of people do...........................................................
...........................with a conventional powder measure.

Regards Chris.
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

Sir Osis

They dont throw inaccurate loads, they overthrow. Its caused by the larger ADI powder.

I just recieved an email from RCBS techs and they said its a common problem with any brand of charger when using extruded powder as opposed to ball powder. There is nothing that can be done as the extruded powder can stand on its end in the thrower tube and cause a build up of powder, as the thrower try's to drop in that last .1gn, the upright piece of extruded powder falls and allows the build up behind it to follow immediately resulting in the overthrow. He said to find the smallest ball type powders for the most accurate throws.

Stinkitup,

Your link confirms everything, extruded powders result in overthrows and to use the straw as already advised.

Problem solved
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

Trev, If its any help rather than disturbing the pan I use a modified bottle pull tab or any any thing else you can find, bent like a little cup/scoop and simply scoop out the couple of sticks after about a dozen or so you get the hang of how much to remove e.g. 2-3 sticks equals .1 of a grain etc. :wink:

All the best
John
Rath
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Rath »

I've run a lot of ADI 2208 through my CM and very rarely get overthrows...it does happen but not often enough for it to be a problem
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

1kshot wrote:Trev, If its any help rather than disturbing the pan I use a modified bottle pull tab or any any thing else you can find, bent like a little cup/scoop and simply scoop out the couple of sticks after about a dozen or so you get the hang of how much to remove e.g. 2-3 sticks equals .1 of a grain etc. :wink:

All the best
John
A laboratory spatula would also be perfect for this task.