Second time at F open

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Re: Second time at F open

Post by Rinso »

I would say that the 6 Dasher and BRX will perform out to 1000yds (I have seen the Dasher do the job) I cant see why a 6 BRX wont.

The 6x47L will get more than 1500rds IMHO. I would suggest something in the 2500 rounds area. The biggest problem the 6x47L has seems to be a sudden lack of experimentation by shooters with everyone settling on a straight 2208 or 2209 load. I have done some fiddling and found that 2213SC gets the pills into the 2950 -3080 area with an almost 100% load density and low pressures a bit more testing will see the young blokes 6x47L running on 2213SC in the near future.

As for the 6.5x47L parent case after extensive research I opted for a 260AI and would suggest that it was the right choice. I am running Lapua 123 scenars at 3150fps and cutting ragged holes at 300m's it shoot small group at the last 1k match at Canberra in terrible conditions as well. The basic advantages being brass availability everyone makes 243 so you can shoot the brass you like, necking up is a simple operation and neck turning is only for concentricity so a skim only.

cheers
Rinso
singleshot
.17 HMR

Post by singleshot »

macca wrote:Rod are you getting both the Dasher and BRX in 6mm.
I'm currently running a straight 6mmBR for the shorts and a 284 for the longs.Would be interested in the 6brx as a replacement for the BR.I'm not a 100% sold on the 6x47 yet.
Did you run the flat bases projectiles in Brisbane?

Dave there are so many to choose from aren't there?

Shane is retooling my other rem into a 6.5x284 just to give me another option.

Have a good one,
Macca
Macca, I am running the same as you. 6br and 284 with great success. I have a spare 6mm barrel and have a 6 Dasher reamer in the post. I don't expect a huge improvement over the 6br but I want to try this for my curiousity.

I have won a day's agg. with the 6br. Four ranges back to 700yds. 2 x 100's at 300 & 600 yds. Conditions were good though.

I have tried 6x47 and found the odd shot out of the group syndrome. Usually at 6 or 12 o'clock, this is very annoying.

When I chamber the 6 dasher I will report back. I hope to have it ready for the Brisbane Queens.

Regards
Cameron Mc
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

Macca, I would only get one ore the other, either a 6mmBR/BRX or a Dasher. Since I already have a 6x47 I dont need anything too close in size, but I do love the Dashers, and I have seen them go very well at 1000s with a good shooters steering them. If I do get a reamer, you are no worries to borrow them. I did use flat base bulets in the 6mm in Brisbane. I was only just getting loads developed in the rifle as I went so it is too early to comment on them but it did start to get good scores until the end of day 2 when I ran out of sized cases.

BradY, as for a 22BRX shooting 90gn bullets, I had a 7" twist BRX a while ago and it went well in the longs while the throat lasted. Now that the thick jacket Bergers are out, it might be a good option, probably as good in the wind as a 6x47. I even have some 90gn and 105 gn .224 projectiles here you are welcome to have if you do decide to build one up.
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Thanks for the offer Rod.Much appreciated.Will follow the developement of your 6x47 with interest.
Cameron,glad to see someone else running the 6br and 284 combo,hope I get some of the results you do.I have a new barrel for the 284 in 1:9.5 twist.I am currently running the 168gr but may experiment with the 175's when I get this put on.When Shane has the 6.5 done in later in the year.
Rinso, yes your 260 does shoot well.I am interested on the powder change for the 6x47,will watch this closely as well.
Have a good one,
Macca
AlanF

Post by AlanF »

singleshot wrote:Rod, I reckon you could make the 6brx or 6 Dasher sing at 1000yds!!!

Cameron
Yes good advice Cameron. Keep using 6mms at the longs Rod. And tell all your mates to do the same. Meanwhile Cameron will battle on with his 7mm. :D :D

Alan
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

RDavies wrote:Gotta remember Brad, when all those people who say they regularly head shoot roos at 300M, the distance was either measured at the bar stool or the key board......not just when shooting for records at first light when there is no wind.......
G'day Ron & Brad,

I know a few Roo shooters out at Augathella and have witnessed them pull off the 'long-shots' with rifles chambered in 22-250 and built off Mauser actions, although the last time I went out with them the Roo's were pretty thick, however the vast majority were all shot within the 100 meter mark.

Its also worth remembering that all of their work (including the long-shots) are carried out in the early hours of the morning when the earth is still and when there is no wind or humidity.

I am yet to meet a Roo shooter let alone a chiller that operates during the hottest part of the day.

Ron, That shoot at Bateman's Bay where I shot on the bench next to you, the day before at sunset we were head shooting the steel rams at 500 meters.

But all the best with F-Class Brad I will have to give it a go someday.

Regards

Sean
Last edited by Curtley78 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Yes a 22BRX with a 7 twist barrel and the 90gr VLD's would be very interesting in the wind. It also means i wouldnt have to go for another cal on my license as that is a pain in WA.

Would it give up much in the wind compared to a 6BR/dasher shooting 107SMK's?
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Guys dont waste your time with the Dasher.. they dont shoot full stop. There are better choices out there to say the least. Hard to keep it on target at 500m, and at 1000yds you've got no hope! I am yet to see one go well!

May I suggest something using a BSA or a mauser chambered in Hornet? .

Honestly, would you guys piss off and leave my Dasher alone..... You heard it.. MY DASHER. I dont want anymore on the firing line you pricks.. first is was PVM, and now Muz has a barrel ready to go onto his BAT. I dont like guys that can shoot chambering to Dasher, cause I know how well they perform! Makes it just that little bit harder for everytime!

Dont worry about tight chamber on one either... wasting your time! 0.272 neck... The only thing I have done different with the new one is changing the freebore to 0.125". Time will tell if this was s silly mistake from the 0.104"-0.114" freebore norm.

Cheers, piece out homies!
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day Brad,
Based on my research with the Sierra Infinity program, I've been looking at a 22Grendel on my Bat for BR/F class to 600yds/500m Fly and if you have a 22BRX, I'd say you should easily get at least 3200fps with a 80gn Berger VLD which out to 600yds is EQUAL to a 6BR shooting 107SMk at 2850fps. You probably will get even more fps with the BRX case and a switch barrel is a great idea to consider............

80gn bullet vs 107gn bullet = less recoil for same drift. Gotta be a good thing, now to find the penny's for the barrel job..........and the dies and the..........and so it goes! :roll: :wink:

Something to think about

Cheerio Ned
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Im still thinking the 90gr bullets mate.... the berger VLD has me very interested with its BC of 0.55.... Should be able to push them around the 3000fps mark and that seems to be a fairly accurate sort of velocity for match bullets. Maybe it will help my lack of skill (at the moment) at getting the wind right.

Once I get to play around with the 20 practical and see how this ultra match grade true flite barrel goes, I will make a decision and order a 7 twist barrel for it and get it chambered for a 22BRX. Another thing i have realised with the aid of fellow shooters here is that i only had a standard BR reamer which was run in an extra 0.100". The neck on my case will never ever get anywhere near the chamber length, and obviously being set up for 80gr bullets, I also have a massive jump to the lands. Its working fine but realistically i dont think it will help accuracy wise.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

Ned Kelly wrote:G'Day Brad,
Based on my research with the Sierra Infinity program, I've been looking at a 22Grendel on my Bat for BR/F class to 600yds/500m Fly and if you have a 22BRX, I'd say you should easily get at least 3200fps with a 80gn Berger VLD which out to 600yds is EQUAL to a 6BR shooting 107SMk at 2850fps. You probably will get even more fps with the BRX case and a switch barrel is a great idea to consider............

80gn bullet vs 107gn bullet = less recoil for same drift. Gotta be a good thing, now to find the penny's for the barrel job..........and the dies and the..........and so it goes! :roll: :wink:

Something to think about

Cheerio Ned
Ned,

I am always interested in this theory of comparison particularly as used by the NRAA with the 155grn pill in the 308 against the 80 grn in 223 as being equal. Much as you are suggesting with the above comparison it seems ok on paper.

I have sat or I should say laid on the mound with a mate shooting a 308 and 223 side by side, same zero, same wind same everything. Both loaded as per TR rules and have found that the 223 does not match the 308 ... simply put the 80grn pill drifts more on the breeze.

We tried this with several match rifles in 223 and found that the same occurred each time, more windage on the 223 pills. Just shows that what the ballistics programs show is not a real world figure. Yes it works in theory but in practice the elements are less understanding than maths.

Before anyone jumps in and says the 223 is wonderful .... I am not saying it wont work just using the LEVEL PLAYING FIELD rules for direct comparison and in my testing the 308 with 155 has less drift than the 223 with 80grner even though the ballistic programs say it aint so.

The dynamics may work occassionally but realistically you should build something that you are sure will do the job at hand.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Maybe its a more on paper thing and not always true in practice. There are a couple of differences ie two different guns, were barrel lengths the same etc?

After watching a bloke here drop one shot at 900m with his 223 and 80grSMK's at a Fclass event then next round get a possible, im thinking it cant be too far off the same, or knowing him he would go for the 308....
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day All,
Rinso your right, the software should only be used as a guide to what is possible, not what you can actually achieve.

Nevertheless, it is still a useful tool that can save you $$$ by getting the right cartridge/barrel/bullet combo before spending a cent.

My suggestion follows on from a discussion with several SR BR shooters (including Ken Melgaard from ADI) on how to lower aggs in the stronger winds south of the Great Dividing Ranges here in Victoria in SR BR. And yup I know what you mean about paper figures and actual range testing too, I started FO using a .223 against the much better suited typical 6BR/6 Dasher/6.5-284 F Open cartridges, I kinda learnt the hard way! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ken suggested the 6.5 grendal case necked to .224 should deliver 3200 with an .224" 80gn bullet. This would be great out of a typical LV. I'd suggest a fluted 24" barrel to get the MV rather than the usual 21" tube for 68gn 6mm bullets to help cut the wind, you might not agg as well as a 68 Bart but your lost wind shots wont be as far away (well that's the theory anyway :roll: :wink: )

So in Brad's case, a 22BRX, 1:8" barrel he should reasonably get around 3200 fps with a 80gn bullet or more with proper load developement especially if a 223 with a 30" barrel can get around 2950fps, it does seem reasonable to assume a MV of 3200fps with a 22BRX.

Whether or not it matches the performance of a 6BR and 107SMK who knows but the software suggests it will.

And for Brad a barrel change and using the same dies, possibly even the same cases seems to make a lot of sense for what he wants to do too.

Hope this helps

Cheerio Ned
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Yeah it seems practical for out to 600m or so. The gun doesnt have a 20MOA rail on it either, so its going to be as far out as the scope will let me. I still have 40 cases left to false shoulder and fireform so that should be fine. Now my biggest hurdle is the get the 20 prac done, get married, get the house done and then go for it.

Ned, will i need to do the whole customs form thing to order a barrel direct from the true flite factory in NZ?