Second time at F open

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Second time at F open

Post by Brad Y »

Had my second go at 300m F open this morning, virtually identical conditions as last time. Cant wait to try further out. Last time i shot two 52's and this time shot a 56 and 54. Slowly learning this reading the wind business. Amazing to watch two guys with 223's drill the centres out consistently and hear the complaints from the scorers having to replace the marker sticks constatnly too.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Re: Second time at F open

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day Brad
Welcome to F class............look out you'll be after a new barrel with a 1:8" twist and a 6x47 lapua soon!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Main thing is to have fun!

Cheerio Ned
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Im actually in it to learn to judge wind when shooting long ranges.

The 22BRX 10 twist is fantastically accurate but i dare say its going to get made into a switchbarrel rig with the next barrel a 6mmBR in 8 twist. Will keep the current barrel for varminting i think. The young bloke that only dropped one shot all day has that on his remington and its a brilliant little setup. We arent in it for sheep stations like the dedicated blokes but we get a bit of fun out it for sure.

I also checked my loaded rounds on one of the experienced guys equipment and the (very minimal amount of) runout was identical to thier loaded rounds. Seems my reloading is up to scratch too.

Best of I have learnt that all those blokes who say they can headshoot kangaroos over 300m when culling are either bullshit artists or frequent the range themselves :roll: :lol: :roll:
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Good to see you having fun with it Brad.
It definetly helps with the wind reading.
Sometimes its funny to watch blokes who claim to have shot things at long distance,get down at 500/600 and go "Jeez that's a long way".
I think ajr told one along similar lines.I bought a range finder to stop those arguements.
Have a good one,
Macca
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Im sick of the guys who get kangaroo culling permits and some tags and straight away say they can shoot them in the head at 300m. At 300m even a mild 10-15km/hr wind can blow shots way off. I know- I had two sighters both 5's and i said drop them both i reckon i know where its going. Next two shots with a couple of stray gusts were 4's :oops:
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

Gotta remember Brad, when all those people who say they regularly head shoot roos at 300M, the distance was either measured at the bar stool or the key board. Keep into F open, but it might be best to ream your chamber out to 6x47 instead of 6BR. A 6BR is good in short to medium ranges (300-600m) in the hands of someone who is realy good at reading the wind, but a 6x47 will be more versatile out to the longe ranges in real world conditions, not just when shooting for records at first light when there is no wind. I might be able to help you out with a reamer and dies as well.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Will have to see what happens mate. Ive been looking at the 6.5x47 info on 6mmbr.com and liking the look of the 142gr matchkings in it. To not have to bother necking down or anything would be my preferred option, i dont mind doing the neck turning thing if i have to though. What would be the barrel life like on a 6x47?
RDavies
.257 Roberts

Post by RDavies »

Not sure on barrel life for 6x47 just yet. I have been talking to 7 other 284 shooters over the last few days and it (The 7mm 284) seems to go about 2000-2500 rounds max, VS the 6.5/284s 1500 rounds, but I think Pete van Meurs sums it up when he says if you want to run with Ferraris, you have to buy one, which means, if you want to keep up with 6.5x284s, then barrels are a consumable, just like bullets, powder and primers. I think the 6x47 when loaded warm to 3080-3100 fps ( which they will need to be to keep up with the bigger bangers) will go full accuracy for maybe 1500 rounds , like a 6.5x284. What I will be doing is when my 6x47 has 1500 rounds through it, I will cut 2" off the chamber and run a 6BR reamer in for 3-500 yd ranges. My 6x47 only has 70 shots though it so far, so I,m not the 6x47 expert here mind you.
I think if you are keen on a 6.5 caliber, then something bigger than the 47 case would be best until you realy get a handle on the wind.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

hmm see in that case another BRX but in 6mm would probably be just as good for me. Im not really fussed on much more than 500m at the moment but i know the 10 twist 22 cal is hard pushed to go that far with little experience in handling wind. I can easily do a 6BRX the same as what ive done here with the 22 BRX. I dont have any real desire to shoot 900m, to 600m would be heaps. My weekends dont seem to have enough time as it is. I keep getting this horrible urge to go and try rimfire BR too.
RDavies
.257 Roberts

Post by RDavies »

In that case, an 8" twist 6 BRX or a Dasher would be great. Lovely little cases for up to 600M
singleshot
.17 HMR

Post by singleshot »

Rod, I reckon you could make the 6brx or 6 Dasher sing at 1000yds!!!

Cameron
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

guys here do and usually beat everyone else, though there are a couple of 6.5x284's starting to creep in and a 6x47L. But im not going to commit to anything til I see how everything goes.

Rod, do you have a dasher/brx in 6mm reamer with the tight neck?
RDavies
.257 Roberts

Post by RDavies »

Brad, I dont have a 6mm Dasher or BRX reamer yet. In a year or two I will. I can help with 22BR or BRX though.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Hmm there are a few options i can tinker around with i guess. I already have a 22BRX, but another in a tight neck chamber with a 7 twist barrel, may allow me to play with 90gr SMK's. That gives the sort of BC and wind bucking ability im after and 90gr can go faster than a 107gr in the 6mm chamber i would think...
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Rod are you getting both the Dasher and BRX in 6mm.
I'm currently running a straight 6mmBR for the shorts and a 284 for the longs.Would be interested in the 6brx as a replacement for the BR.I'm not a 100% sold on the 6x47 yet.
Did you run the flat bases projectiles in Brisbane?

Dave there are so many to choose from aren't there?

Shane is retooling my other rem into a 6.5x284 just to give me another option.

Have a good one,
Macca