Rimfire Field rifle - what do you use?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
V|PeR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Re: Rimfire Field rifle - what do you use?

Post by V|PeR »

given i only paid $370 for my mod 2 i think money is better spent on a higher magnification scope and rounds to practice with
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

cracked 340 today which i am extremely happy with....343.1

proving again that the operator just needs to be on his game
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

Hi all. Where do you all shoot feild rifle? Viper there is nothing wrong with brno model 2. only down fall as sam pointed out is the uncomfortable stock. Also as sam said you can make your own stock or someone like geoff slee makes anschutz silhouette style stocks either finished or rough cut. generally on a brno depending on timber density and scope used these stocks will come in near weight if they do not depending on the balance of your rifle you can take timber out from under the barell or from the butt to reduce weight. I am sure one of your club members has probably already told you but you can send your 340+ targets away and get a bronze medal sent back. A couple of the aa grade shooters where i shoot use a standard brno with std stock but lightened triggers and do not suffer from it but the most popular rifles amongst the top shooters is either an anschutz or a sako p94 in any of its several forms, a couple even have the range model with fluted barells.
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

i shoot at perth field rifle

got my targets all endorsed etc and sent off for a bronze medal which made getting out of bed early worth it

mine currently has a piers synthetic stock on it which seems ok

there are a few ppl at the club shooting anshutz 64 which looking at the website come in close to the weight limit without a scope
juzz338
.17 HMR

Post by juzz338 »

Hi viper actual weights vary depending on stock density a good gun shop will weigh the rifle for you. i have a 64msr and before i purchased it i weighed the intended scope and rings and asked the gun shop to send me a rifle at or under a specified weight, turned out the one they had on the shelf came in under that weight and shot well. Whole set up only weighs 3.85kg which is only 250g more than advertised bare weight so it pays to check. it is unfortunate that it did not come in 300-350g less as it would make a damn good hunter class gun.
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

if you dont mind me asking what did you 64 msr cost?
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

I am pretty sure that you can purchase the 64 barreled action and trigger group,about 8 months ago they were around the $1000....................put it in the stock of your choice .......................just another way to skin the cat.

Regards Chris.
juzz338
.17 HMR

Post by juzz338 »

I bought mine a few years ago for $1280 and 8 months after that a mate bought one for $1220. They have gone up a fair bit though, in last months ssaa mag someone was advertising htem for $1699. Another way to get a 64 action and anschutz barell albeit a lighter one is to look at a weatherby mark22. every one of these i have seen has had a reasonable test target but i am unsure about the triggers as they are different from mine. I still like chris's idea though.
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

cheers guys

good to get this info to consider

first thing is for me to put a bigger scope on the brno and see what that does for me
Brett33
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260

Post by Brett33 »

I use my 1451 Annie. Been rebarreled with a short fat Maddco barrel, run a small barrel tunner and consistent run in "A" grade, last scores were around 370 mark.
I can usually shoot the two 50m events close to clean, but still drop too many points with the 25m stuff.

I have packed it away to concentrate on BR, 3 different lots of Nationals in NSW this year.

Brett
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by sometime shooter »

I too have become addicted to Field Rifle, I recently accquired a TOZ 78-05 which I have only put a couple of hundred rounds through it and shot in one event but scored 339.3. So it will get me into the B grade soon enough I reckon. The rapid and offhand are where I sure loose a lot of points but that's why I'm there to improve my offhand shooting. I shoot centerfire as well when they have enough people.
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

yeah field rifle is indeed addictive

got my bronze medal in the mail today for shooting 340+ now i just need to aim for the next level
sometime shooter
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by sometime shooter »

I too have a bronze in the mail at some stage, was a pissed at myself last month, first time with the new TOZ shot a couple of brands of ammo in the morning, and guess what the score was in the afternoon. 339.3 one shot off the second score above 340, oh well next weekend I'll spend most of Saturday at the range doing some practice.
V|PeR
.22 WMR

Post by V|PeR »

well no longer can i blame the gun

shot a 50.1 on one target and 46 (8 and 2x9) for my highest sitting post of 96.1
juzz338
.17 HMR

Post by juzz338 »

one of the local lads punched out a 100.08 the other night came back 2 weeks later was a little upset before we started and shot an 83 rapid fire got a little more upset but bought it home to end with 100.05 and a score of 379 and that was with one of those shitty 64's that someone on here keeps bagging. keep going viper and you will get your 100 target and one ton patch.