Ultrasonic Cleaners

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaners

Post by ogre6br »

a small pik is easier to get media out of cases than compressed air- and quiter too
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Trev wrote:Adam

Why do you say it doesnt replace the tumbler, from what I have read, the guys are using the ultrasonic only and getting superior results.

I think next pay will see an ultrasonic cleaner in my shed, Glen those cases look fantastic in that doc you posted.
The tumbler is still good for just cleaning the outside of cases. The ultasonic is better for getting crap out of the primer pockets, but i really like the polish I get from the tumbler. Possibly it's just me.

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade to the 2l ultrasonic I posted from eBay. My current one is only 600cc and I can't stand anything bigger than a 222 up in it.
Tanno
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Tanno »

The best thing i've bought in a long time, originally for cleaning brass and it works great. Its set up in the garage and over a weekend it gets used a dozen times, what ever i can find dirty old spanners, sockets, hand tools, gun parts and even the odd piece of jewellery everything goes in (the wife rekons all i do on the weekends is polish bullets). A compressor is a must just quickly blow things dry after you have rinsed them. But i still can't get my brass shinny, so its ultrasonicly clean, tumble, blow clean and deprime and then ultrasonic again
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

Hey on the media in the cases especially the primer hole, go to a tool shop and buy a scribe, you know those things with a straight point on one end and a hook point on the other. Best thing I ever used.

Secondly, polishing brass, there is this stuff you can get in a yellow tin, its like a rolled up rag inside but it pulls apart and is good for anything, I used it on my brass tonight and its gleaming, second trick, I have a bench grinder, Im gonna get one of them buffing pads for it and then shove a piece of wood dowel up the case and then buff on the grinder.

If you dont have a grinder, go to Bunnings, you can get small GMC/OZITO bench grinders for like $69,

Also, do you guys add dishwashing detergent to your vinegar/water mix, Ive read somewhere that it made a difference.

Trev

EDIT

Bright Shine is the stuff in the yellow tin, also gets tar and marks of your car paintwork
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

I use dishwashing detergent and a little bit of Cream or Tartar. Easier to clean up than Vinegar.

The tumbler does a nice job of polishing my cases. I wouldn't use a buffing wheel.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Christ,I thought that I suffered from a obsesive compulsive disorder when it came to case prep.........
clean brass yes,polished.........................nup,clean will do me.

Regards Chris.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

A scribe- yep thats the propper name of what I was thinking of when i said Pik

mechanical polishing of brass on some sort of buffing wheel or light grinder situation is a bad idea- thin brass case wall can happen really fast

now if you are talking about a bit of crazy cloth in your hands and caouple of turns- thats different- but buffing them on a wheell-- not a good idea
P