Savage Target action

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Re: Savage Target action

Post by chris.tyne »

I haven't seen/heard of the ad but it would be fair to say that it would have to be in registered competition which will narrow it down a bit from just shooting all day at the range hoping to shoot a small group.

Regards Chris
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Yeh 220 it was here in Australia.

I think their money is fairly safe as there aint much chance of them making two or more rifles than actually shoot.

But all jokes aside savage have got there shit together and started making the types of rifles shooter want as opposed to what some dick in the office likes, like most companies do.

Some shoot reasonably well others not so good, so they are fairly much like all the other factory rifle. But one thing is for sure, you get what you pay for.

No guys trev's rifle wont have the barrel nut, far from needed on a trued action.

I once read an article which explained how good savage's action design was and how well the barrel nut works. They even decribed how when fitted to rem actions it improved them too!!

Well heres the scoop, the savage design is very good for a factory action, not great but good. The design they use helps to correct poor machining of the action, the loose fitting floating bolt head helps keep the locking lugs loaded onto their abutments most of the time and the nut on the barrel helps correct an unsquare action face etc.

When they tested the barrel nut system on the rem it improved the accuracy. Well on an untrued action it dont take much to help. Most rem action faces are out of square 2-3 thou ( some far more, but so are many factory actions including savage). So pulling a barrel up tight to an unsquare face makes the barrel sit out of square to the bolt face. But with the nut it makes it stay in line with the action thread which is usually square to the bolt face, its often not concentric to the face but thats a problem for another day.

A trued action dont need these things as its all square and concentric and fits up nice.

So like i said above the savage design helps correct poor machining which is a good idea, but imagine how much maket a company could grab if they just set things up right and machined gear well.

Maybe one day?

cheers,
Shane
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Ok boys. There's all this talk about trevort's new rifle. Now I'm here just to let you ALL know it's actually Kerrie's rifle (much to my darling husbands disgust). I will even make sure we purchase if not a bigger, but another gun safe for my new baby lol. Just keep ribbing him about Kerrie's new rifle, it's driving him nuts!!!!!!

Cheers

Kerrie :rifle:
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

Hi Kerrie, What I'm wondering is how long before trevort wants a 6 x47 of his own :lol: You should probably get your own gunsafe to keep it in, with room to spare...
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Sam Walker wrote:Hi Kerrie, What I'm wondering is how long before trevort wants a 6 x47 of his own ..

when my 6/250 needs a new barrel..................

And yes, she is getting her own safe so I have to ask first before I borrow it :wink: (nothing to do with the fact my 8 gun safe is trying to fit 9)
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Kerrie will be the only person with the combination & key too!!!!!!! (god I love teasing trevort) :lol:

Cheers

Kerrie
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

get your own bloody sign on Kerrie!
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Stick it to him Kerrie,I hope to see you do a Leanne and post higher scores than your partner. :D
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

trevort wrote:get your own bloody sign on Kerrie!

Seems she just may have taken your advice