107 yard with BSA Hornet .22 and JSB 18.1 gr Exact Heavies..

Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

107 yard with BSA Hornet .22 and JSB 18.1 gr Exact Heavies..

Post by Yrrah »

Nine of us, mostly old powder burners, spent last weekend at a remote farm adjoining Morton National Park on the south coast NSW where we have access to two concrete benches and a 200+ metre safe range. At someone's suggestion, during a card game Sunday night, our host Greg and I took a spotlight and at 11:15 pm went out to the range in the dark. The air was so still that the mist droplets hung suspended in the light of the spotlight. ......

I shot just one group with the JB OZ 1 BSA Hornet .22 with 18.1 gr JSB Exacts while Greg managed the spotlight.

The range is slightly uphill and measures 107 yards by laser. It is nominal 100 m but is a couple of yards short .

The first 4 shots went well. After the fifth, I called the shot to Greg as it didn't feel just right. The rifle reacted a little differently, perhaps to some pressure I must have applied. At 41+ fpe a PCP does have appreciable reaction. Well that shot spoiled another potential beauty.

0.925" / 0.826 MOA centre to centre at 107 yd is OK but the first 4 shots measure 8.8 mm, 0.374 inches or 0.357 MO at 107 yd..

MV was 1015 fps 41.4 fpe using Chairgun to raise zero from 50 yards to 107 yd with + 51 clicks on the Bushnell Elite 6500 of 2.5-16X set at 16X:

The card game hesitated for maybe 5 seconds when the target was tabled. These powder burners have become used to the air rifles’ precision these past years.

Kind regards, Harry.
flmath
Favourite Cartridge: 22 hornet

Re: 107 yard with BSA Hornet .22 and JSB 18.1 gr Exact Heavies..

Post by flmath »

Very impressive shooting. I would have never thought an air rifle could hold such a group at that distance. :rifle:
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

flmath wrote:Very impressive shooting. I would have never thought an air rifle could hold such a group at that distance. :rifle:
This rifle has shot (edit) a group of 0.95 inches at 155 yards and my other Hornet AG of lesser power has shot two sub half inch groups at 100 yards and a stunner of 1.45 inches at 183 yards laser measured ranges, ctc measured groups, all 5 shot groups.

Sub inch 100 yard groups are in the many dozens now ......

State of the art Air rifle accuracy/ precision is in the bag of "best kept secrets" in the shooting world. ........ Wind deflection is of course the main drawback but that is also the powder rifle's bane. My rifles pellets drift about the same at 100 yards as a .22 Hornet c/f shooting 45 gr bullets at 2680 fps deflects at 200 yards in the same wind.

..... Thanks for reading, Kind regards, Harry.
Last edited by Yrrah on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hornetboy

Post by hornetboy »

Nice shooting. We all love to see what's possible. Keep 'em coming ,mate!
fenring

Post by fenring »

Just goes to show how all the quality components (rife, scope and the ammo) all come together to produce a fine result. Top effort.
flmath

Post by flmath »

Now all you Theoben Rapid owners lets see what you can do. The challenge is out there. :rifle2:
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Yrrah wrote:Nine of us, mostly old powder burners, spent last weekend at a remote farm adjoining Morton National Park on the south coast NSW where we have access to two concrete benches and a 200+ metre safe range. At someone's suggestion, during a card game Sunday night, our host Greg and I took a spotlight and at 11:15 pm went out to the range in the dark. The air was so still that the mist droplets hung suspended in the light of the spotlight. ......

I shot just one group with the JB OZ 1 BSA Hornet .22 with 18.1 gr JSB Exacts while Greg managed the spotlight.

The range is slightly uphill and measures 107 yards by laser. It is nominal 100 m but is a couple of yards short .

The first 4 shots went well. After the fifth, I called the shot to Greg as it didn't feel just right. The rifle reacted a little differently, perhaps to some pressure I must have applied. At 41+ fpe a PCP does have appreciable reaction. Well that shot spoiled another potential beauty.

0.925" / 0.826 MOA centre to centre at 107 yd is OK but the first 4 shots measure 8.8 mm, 0.374 inches or 0.357 MO at 107 yd..

MV was 1015 fps 41.4 fpe using Chairgun to raise zero from 50 yards to 107 yd with + 51 clicks on the Bushnell Elite 6500 of 2.5-16X set at 16X:

The card game hesitated for maybe 5 seconds when the target was tabled. These powder burners have become used to the air rifles’ precision these past years.

Kind regards, Harry.

Great shooting as always Harry!!!
How is Greg going with the Steyr?
Lewis
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

Lewis Reinhold wrote: Great shooting as always Harry!!!
Lewis
Lewis I shot Greg's Steyr with the 18.1 Gr Exacts. The wind was difficult but the group at 107 yards, though laterally spread some, was very small in vertical dispersion. It would no doubt have been a sub inch group if shot in the same conditions that the subject group of this post was executed in. It was very cold out there that night and Greg only had a thin shirt on. We scurried inside after the one group! His 50 metre groups during the days were the equal of mine with the Exact heavies.

In relation to the Theobens: I have little doubt that Mark will show us similar long range groups if he ever gets a decent day at Silverdale. That range is very tricky to say the least!
Unfortunately I have never shot a Rapid but Mark and I might get together some time . All these rifles are great and again I would love to have one of each :-) ( but not a certain other .22 :-( ........ Kind regards, Harry.
Lewis Reinhold
300 Win Mag

Post by Lewis Reinhold »

Yrrah wrote:
Lewis
Lewis I shot Greg's Steyr with the 18.1 Gr Exacts. The wind was difficult but the group at 107 yards, though laterally spread some, was very small in vertical dispersion. It would no doubt have been a sub inch group if shot in the same conditions that the subject group of this post was executed in. It was very cold out there that night and Greg only had a thin shirt on. We scurried inside after the one group! His 50 metre groups during the days were the equal of mine with the Exact heavies.

In relation to the Theobens: I have little doubt that Mark will show us similar long range groups if he ever gets a decent day at Silverdale. That range is very tricky to say the least!
Unfortunately I have never shot a Rapid but Mark and I might get together some time . All these rifles are great and again I would love to have one of each :-) ( but not a certain other .22 :-( ........ Kind regards, Harry.

I haven't had much feedback on the Steyr's.They just go out and stay out which I can't complain about!
You've never shot a Rapid?
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

Lewis Reinhold wrote:
Yrrah wrote:
Lewis Reinhold wrote:
I haven't had much feedback on the Steyr's.They just go out and stay out which I can't complain about!
You've never shot a Rapid?
Nope Lewis, not one shot from a Rapid. If you want one road tested some time just send it down :lol:

That Steyr is a class act and the velocity consistency is brilliant. The Weaver V 16 on it is very classy too.
Kind regards, Harry.
Hilly
.17 HMR

Post by Hilly »

Well Harry, if you ever end up in Port Macquarie and have nothing to do for a couple of hours, I would be happy to let you try mine at the local range.
Dennis.
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

Hilly wrote:Well Harry, if you ever end up in Port Macquarie and have nothing to do for a couple of hours, I would be happy to let you try mine at the local range.
Dennis.
Thank you Dennis. I just might be in a position to join you there for a session in about a month or so. Can you message me a phone number / address to contact you when I am in your area please. I will try to have a pocket full of pellets to use. .............. Kind regards, Harry.
hornetboy

Post by hornetboy »

Yrrah wrote:
Lewis

Harry, you are more than welcome to try out my Rapid mk1,- in fact I would be honoured to accommodate you at any time. Accuracy seekers such as yourself are a credit to the range, and provide an incentive to others to aspire to something better than the mediocre. I look forward to a visit at your convenience. Cheers, mate!
Yrrah
.204 Ruger

Post by Yrrah »

Harry, you are more than welcome to try out my Rapid mk1,- in fact I would be honoured to accommodate you at any time. Accuracy seekers such as yourself are a credit to the range, and provide an incentive to others to aspire to something better than the mediocre. I look forward to a visit at your convenience. Cheers, mate![/quote]

Thanks Mark, I'll join you at Silverdale one day for some interesting shooting. ......

Thanks also for the topic suggestions. I am working on getting some suggestions together ....... kind regards, Harry.
stillair1

Post by stillair1 »

Hi Harry
You've got me at it now. After four rabbits with my rapid to keep the dog happy this evening, I stuck a card up at 100yds, well two bits held together to get the drop. :) Just a smidge of right left breeze. First group an inch or just a nats over as one shot clips the edge. Second group went to pot.
I reckon with a rear bag it could get better. Need to sort the scope level canting :oops: too as I'm drifting off to the right.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu18 ... G_0794.jpg
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu18 ... G_0795.jpg
Noted the 13.5" drop for future use. :)
regards Neil