Choices Choices

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Choices Choices

Post by GriMo »

I Have a small dilema, Bonuses are getting anounced tomorrow, and im pretty confident mine should be acceptable for a new rifle/scope.

But i dont know what i want. I said it. i really dont. It will be a dedicated varminter, but i don't know what brand, nor what caliber.

Im trying to decide between a .204 ( waits for it) or a .22-250. The .204 is all voer the news, with reports of excellent barrel life ease of use accuracy etc. The 250 has been around for quite some time, and to me that says something.

I will be reloading and can get projectiles for the 250 a crapload cheaper then the .204. and yet the 204 keeps pulling me in for some reason.

And almost as confusing is the choice of rifle. I have narrowed it down to either the SPS varmint, or the T3 varmint. By all reports the T3's shoot like a dream, i cant say i have ever heard a tikka owner unhappy with their purchase. But also having no experience with them im wondering if thats the right path. The rem has go fast bits all over the shop, but after spending up do i really want to be adding more bits from the get go?

So quite simply,

Is it a .204 or the .22-250 ? Is it worth the expandability of the rem, or just go the tikka and be done with it?
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Re: Choices Choices

Post by Simpson »

Both :P

I like the 250 as when I bought my first 250 the 204 wasn't even around then and now I have 3 of them.

One of my 250's is a Weatherby Mk5 Accumark and it has a 8 - 32 scope on it. It makes for a very balanced and accurate rig.

Out of the Tikka and Rem you have mentioned, I would go for the Tikka :wink:
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Remington XR100 in 204R
Vortex Viper 6-20X50.

SOLD!

Cheers
AI
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

should have specified.

Has to be a repeater :P
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

what about a savage into the mix? they seem to be shooting damn nice out of the box, repeater, detachable mag as well.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

do you want it to stay as is or are you going to pimp it? I have heard the sps stock is ordinary. If you want a rem then either replace it or get a vssf or VLS.

If you dont want to customise and go the extra $$ for the better rem then get a tikka. It was really boring watching Thomp knock off head after head at the bunny patch with his T3.

Calibre, hmmmmm, well you know what I like, just read a little bit in PS, Bill Shehane describing the 204r as a "fine little cartridge" Though a fast twist 22/250AI (or similar capacity case) firing 69/75 projies will be in my future.
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Get a 6BR. There's a few on usedguns.com.au

Dave
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

All I have to say is that I still think the 204 is not legal for roo culling and the 250 is.

I think that projectile and brass cost is a major factor as well. Also if you wanted to load 60grain hunting projectiles if you came across a goat property and its your only rifle. I just think the range of game is larger for a 22-250 the perfomance is the same until you get to the 55gn projectiles and the 22-250 shines. then you can go a bit heavier to 60gn for a hunting projectile. To me its a no brainer but to each his own!
Jock
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .17HMR

Post by Jock »

kjd wrote:All I have to say is that I still think the 204 is not legal for roo culling and the 250 is.

I think that projectile and brass cost is a major factor as well. Also if you wanted to load 60grain hunting projectiles if you came across a goat property and its your only rifle. I just think the range of game is larger for a 22-250 the perfomance is the same until you get to the 55gn projectiles and the 22-250 shines. then you can go a bit heavier to 60gn for a hunting projectile. To me its a no brainer but to each his own!
I beg to differ, I think the .204 is allowed, now.

Page 11 of 13.

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodivers ... ercial.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I maybe wrong.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I did say I "think" hehe
Still it's not really good for anything bigger than a fox
Jock
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .17HMR

Post by Jock »

kjd wrote:I did say I "think" hehe
Still it's not really good for anything bigger than a fox

I wasn't having a go.

Not my style.

I just fell over this the other week and thought..............?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Keith quite a few pictures of dead pigs in the shooting mags. if you are serious about medium game you dont buy a varmint rifle so maybe thats not relevent in the varmint calibre selection thread eh :P

Anyway Grimo I've decided to become your purchase mentor and there is a mint condition VLSS 204 on used guns for $1195. Go for it
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

I had a Tikka t3 and it shot as good as any rifle would in the feild off a bipod could.
Rabbits were not safe, the only reason i sold it was i wanted to get something i could change around a bit if i wanted to.

I ended up with a Savage as i have allways wanted one so thought i would give one a go but i would be verry surprised if it shot better than my T3 did.

The Rems will give you a shed load of bits aftermarket, but if your happy to just get a rifle and leave it alone and go and shoot things then go the Tikka

FARK, just read Trevor's post, i wanted one of those to :twisted:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

purely for varmints then 204.

If you want to have the flexibility for goats and pigs while out varminting a bit more then the 22-250
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

trevort wrote: Anyway Grimo I've decided to become your purchase mentor and there is a mint condition VLSS 204 on used guns for $1195. Go for it

I saw that there this morning... suprised its not gone already.. or it might be!

If it wasnt for this dang Stolle Grizzly action I might have thought about grabbing it!

Cheers
AI