Savage Sickness

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
glennasher1

Re: Savage Sickness

Post by glennasher1 »

Ackley Improved wrote:Mate..

I am not talking about the barrel nut, thats fine....its the extra bit of metal that looks like it was a add on after it was made that is located where the bolt handle joins the bolt. That funny looking spacer thing... F it off Savage.....

Cheers
AI

That's yet another seal in case of a case-head separation, as if the baffles behind the bolt lugs weren't enough :mrgreen: If nothing else, Savage has paid attention to stuff like that, they are bull-strong and really safe actions.
A friend of mine calls them the "American Arisaka" because the bolt ends so abruptly towards the rear. :lol: I don't much care what he calls them, I like all four of mine. :rifle:
Gunnie
Favourite Cartridge: 257RobertsAI

Post by Gunnie »

Wouldn't say no to another Savage in the safe. More sone in a good heavy long range cal.
Currently have two in the safe, both LE-10 FP's. One is the earlier version Tac Elilte in 308W and the newest one is a Choate Varminter stocked 223R. Have only managed one day on the range to start barrel run in and below is the results.

Pic 1 is the first 3-shot group (11th-13th rounds fired from the barrel from new) using Winchester Premium 69gn BTHP factory loads.
Pic 2 is the second 3-shot group again using the Winchester factory 69gn BTHP loads.
Pic 3 is the third 3-shot group (17th-19th rounds fired from new) using my reloads of a 50gn Hornady V-max over a load of AR2206. Have about 120 of these loads left then will have to re-work the load using 2206H.
All groups were shot at 100M. Still running the barrel in and will have to do some load development with the 69grainers for F-class. The rifle has potential I think.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

Gunnie, not having a go mate, but why don't you measure from centre to centre and do it in imperial not metric.
If you change to imperial and measure c,t,c that first group you shot is less than half MOA, .471" to exact. Great group for a new rifle. :wink:
Gunnie
Favourite Cartridge: 257RobertsAI

Post by Gunnie »

Knackers,

no offence taken mate. Hadn't really thought of the Imperial & C-to-C side of it. Guess my military background over-rides as we use mean group spread as the measurement for group size.
But I do like how you've put it and sub.5 MOA certainly sounds better than 1MOA!! :wink:
Will be looking forward to some more range time I think.
Might even get the Rem 40XBR 222R out of the safe and test the 40gn V-max loads I made up.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

Gunnie I have a stevens - cheap savage - in 223 and get similar groups to the ones you showed. Have shot around the .5 mark - 5 shots at 100 with premium ammo and sub 1moa with cheap hollow point stuff.

They are a great action and easily identifiable at the range (i think i mean ugly)
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

[/I GOT ONE :rifle2: b]

Picked my self a 2nd hand VLP with bugger all shots through it, i will say more when i have it in a few week

Three months ago a VLP was 1450, today i priced them at 2100 :shock:
Manna13
.22 WMR

Post by Manna13 »

nice thomo
what calibre ?
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

243, not my first choice but the rifle was to good and to cheap to go past, it was fate i reckon so i went with it.
I had a 243 years ago so still have all the cleaning gear, brass and projy's just need to get some decent dies and im away.
Reckon if i sell off my 204 stuff i will get enough for some dies.

One thing in the 243's favour is it has some serious reach as a varmint splatter adn it ruin's foxs with authority.