25-06 varmint loads

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
trishbob40
.22 WMR

25-06 varmint loads

Post by trishbob40 »

Hello All
I am looking for a varmint load for my 25-06 using 75grn to 100grn projectiles.at the moment iam using 100grn rem kore-loke with 57.5 grns of ar2213sc.i would like to try the nosler bullets or sombody has loads to suggest for varmints
rifle is a tikka ss varmint
trishbob40
varmint bob :lol:
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

I use the 75 Sierra HP or the Hornady 75 V Max in my .25/06, with 54.0 of H-4350 ( I can't translate into Oz, but it comes from ADI :P ) using WLR primers in Winchester cases. My sporter Savage will shoot them into 3/4", off a bipod, at 100 yards. The Hornadys get 3500fps or so, the Sierras about 80 fps more. Recoil is tolerable, even in the lightweight rifle, with a 3-9 scope. I can't guarantee your rifle will like it, but it couldn't hurt to try it. It's a couple of grains UNDER a max load......
jimbo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6 PPC

Post by jimbo »

I have found that as a general rule, many rifles shoot best with a bullet about the middle of the available weight range. For the .25 cal, that would put it around 87 grains. I have had good results from the 87 grain Speer HP TNT. It may be coincidence, but they are identical in ogive to the 87 grain Berger. For me they shoot well at up to 3550 fps, and I have seen groups down to half an inch out of a couple of custom 25 cal rifles.
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

85 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips stoked up with AR2209 works a treat in my Remington .25/06 Sendero mate.
csg

Post by csg »

Have you tried AR2213SC with the 85BT?
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

I've been unsuccessful in getting the 85 Nosler to shoot much under 1" at 100 yards. My buddy, who has owned 5 25/06s, has had the same problem. When we want to shoot small groups with a .25, we use 75 Sierras (in my rifle) and 75 V Maxes in his rifles. We've tried them in seven rifles altogether, and just haven't been able to get really good results with them. Try those 75 Sierras, they shoot awfully well, and are a lot less expensive than Noslers.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Glenn, try a magnum primer instead of a standard one. The key to all 25/06s is a strong ignition. You should halve your group if the rifle is up to it.
Tony Z.
Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

Tony Z wrote:Glenn, try a magnum primer instead of a standard one. The key to all 25/06s is a strong ignition. You should halve your group if the rifle is up to it.
Tony Z.
I concur ...Tony offered me that same advice many years ago with a troublesome (inconsistent) S&W 25/06. I followed and used a CCI mag primer which although it didnt halve group sizes it turned a junker into something that would group all day every day.
X WSSM

Post by X WSSM »

Tony Z wrote:Glenn, try a magnum primer instead of a standard one. The key to all 25/06s is a strong ignition. You should halve your group if the rifle is up to it.
Tony Z.
UMMN very interesting, I've got myself a new Sauer in 25-06 that I took out for the first time on the weekend. Spent a lot of time shooting it over the bench and working up some loads. I was able to get 85gr Ballistic tip and 110gr AccuBond to shoot groups of .9 Think I will give the mag primers a go too
csg

Post by csg »

let us know how you go.
X WSSM

Post by X WSSM »

csg wrote:let us know how you go.
Will do should be on the weekend :D
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

I keep some 215Ms on hand, maybe I'll give that a try, thanks for the tip!
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Glenn, the 215s would be my choice straight up as they are the hottest primer about. The CCIs that Danno used are OK but could be a little on the mild side for some rifles. Of course back off a coupla grains and work up.
Some years back the ADI pamphlet used to say to Mag primers with 2213 (H4831) in all cartridges. I don't think the SC used now should be much different. I found the 25/06 responded real well with the mag primers with most all powders i tried. Must be something to do with the design i'm guessing.
If the groups are 3 or 4 shot Republicans with one or two Democrats sitting all out on their own as you yanks would say, then the mag primer is for you. No repitition of groups is the same. The final cure for a bad grouping rifle is the one i often used over the years. Sell it to the competition. :lol:

Tony Z.