WTF!!!!!

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
aussie
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5mm

WTF!!!!!

Post by aussie »

Yesterday i loaded up 50 .308's in lap brass, cci primers, 45.6 grains of 2208, 155 grain "BJD's" seated 5 thou off the lands
by using an ogive gauge. the brass was primed using a hand primer. no problem there i thought! I also loaded another 50 using
Winchester brass but these were primed using the primer attachment on the press. Once again no biggie i thought.
So off we go to the club for the end of year shoot.The wifes turn rolls around , load up a lap case ,all set take aim and click WTF!!! recock click.repeat WTF!!! The primer had been hit but a misfire.Load up anothery. Fire and again click!! repeat WTF!!!
tried loading up a winchester case. click! then another, click! repeat WTF!!! We borrowed some federals and managed to finish our days shooting.With 2 more misfires. Sigh!!! So once we got home its off too the shed. I pulled all the projies and yes there was powder in there...Now this is were it gets even stranger, all the cases [with just the primers in them ]when fired went bang, even the misfires.again WTF!!! has any body got any clues??? All the brass was new never fired. The primers work in my 6.5 as does the powder
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: WTF!!!!!

Post by Knackers »

:roll: NFI, none at all.
Thanks for sharing that with us though, keep us informed if you find out. :wink:
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

Had the same thing happen a few times with my 204, NFI.
But i did learn that the 338 has given me a flinch :lol:
paz
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by paz »

Just a thought, could the cases be a little undersized to your chamber (too much headspace) which was letting them move forward and not hitting the primer hard enough? Though that doesn't explain why they worked after you pulled them. Check the dent in the primer between unfired(a misfire) and fired.

Paz
aussie

Post by aussie »

i'm thinking it may be headspace as the federals cases were 10 to 12 thou longer and they fired.
i've trimmed those cases back to spec.
this time i loaded 10 of win,feds and laps with federal primers just to prove a point.
i mentioned it to the lgs where i brought the rifle and he said to use factory rounds as handloads void warranty
and i may be seating the primers incorrectly :roll: but he did check the bolt/firing pin to see if free of obstruction
so off to the range tommorrow to see what happens this time
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Headspace with new cases would be my guess...... firing pin pushing case forward!

Firing pin could be weak...

A bit of shit could have been inside the bolt causing teh pin not to fully extend once fired...

Cheers
AI
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Mate what sort of primers,I have had federal primers do that out of 100 loaded and 60 fired 4 just did`nt go bang
Aahh reread post cci primers :oops:
aussie

Post by aussie »

Day 2. off to the range this morning for another test. only difference apart from the primers is that i seated the projies 5 thou
into the lands.yep you quessed it , 30 shots later and three groups of ten... seems to be headspace after all. Now to convince
the lgs to fix the problem.
3Dguy

Post by 3Dguy »

Hi all,
I had the exact same problem about a month back, turns out the press was seating the primers too deep and the firing pin wasn't striking the primer hard enough. Changed over to a hand primer and it made all the difference. No more miss fires.
250-3000
Favourite Cartridge: 250-3000

Post by 250-3000 »

My mate and I bought some CCI BR primers for our hunting rifles, so far Ive had 3 Misfires and hes had 5.

Using two totally different rifles and calibres both using hand primers.

Ive never had a problem with PMC primers and they are cheapies
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

250-3000 wrote:My mate and I bought some CCI BR primers for our hunting rifles, so far Ive had 3 Misfires and hes had 5.

Using two totally different rifles and calibres both using hand primers.

Ive never had a problem with PMC primers and they are cheapies
I can't fault the CCI primers myself.
Put thousands of rounds through bench guns, using CCI BR 1 through 4, and never had a problem with the primer. Any issues I've had have been self created.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

same goes, CCI BR primers are my go to primers, ive never even played with different ones to see what they do, these ones have always worked fine.