Fly shooting.

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
243redmist

Fly shooting.

Post by 243redmist »

G'Day
In the target shooting world what is the average score in a 500m Fly shoot.?

The reason i ask is i competed in one last weekend.
It was alright a bit boring, being able to use a rear rest is taking the fun out of it.lol
But trying to pick the wind with 4 flags that are constanly changing direction and the bastards were never the same.lol

Anyway i scored a 121.3

Is that alright or what.

Equipment used.

Rem 700 PSS 308 with AICS 1.5
175 SMK
43gr 06H
Rem brass
3.5 x 10 x 40 Mark4 (a little under powered)
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Re: Fly shooting.

Post by Tony Z »

Does this mean that there is going to be a SOTY again at Tamworth sometime in the future?

Jethro Bodine
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

I do not know about average, but to be competitive you need to be over 200, and more likely into the 220's plus to win. Thats down our way though, Northern boys will be different.

My worst score ever shot was the last time around, which was a 148, but generally all the scores were down due to the great conditions. One of my targets scored 1.... which killed me! Check out the scores under competiton results for the last Canberra match. All these scores you could say were all below average, as most shooters struggled and did worse compared to usual!

121 using the rifle you did is ok, and hopefully next Fly comp I will be shooting my tactical 308 just for shits and giggles to see what I can achieve. You really do need a BR rifle to be competitve.

As for boring, what Fly match was it? There is usually not enough time to get bored at a match!

Cheers
AI
243redmist

Post by 243redmist »

Tony Z wrote:Does this mean that there is going to be a SOTY again at Tamworth sometime in the future?

Jethro Bodine

TZ not sure what SOTY is but in next yrs calendar we hope to hold a couple more.We only had 10 people this yr and 8 the yr before that and 4 the yr before that.
We don't get any travellers and it's understandable we don't offer any prizes cause we don't no if anyone is going to turn up.It's a real pisser.

We have some good local shots in the district but some are really girly (and they no who they are lol)
The tallor boys cleaned up on the weekend they were in the 140+ score after 5 targets.

When i say boring there is no double snap, no rapid,no figure 14 on sticks lol
And you've got 7 mins thats heaps of time.
It's not something iam looking at doing on a regular basis just our local club stuff.

We are hoping to hold three in 09 but we all know what commites are like.Our club is very FULLbore,highpower so it's harder to convince the members that it's worth it.

Next yr we hope to hold it in combination with our pistol club which will have a 200m range in opperation so we can hold the rimfire fly on the sunday.

I was just wanting to know how much better i need to be.
I'll be honnest i was happy using my 10 power, it is handicapping myself but thats gunna change i hope.

I'll keep ya up to date TZ on what happening.

Thanks
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

Tell us how you have been scoring these targets.??
I suspect it's not the right way.
Regards
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

SOTY is Shooter of the Year. Points aggregated of the best three matches around AUS and Tamworth was part of this some years back. As i understood it, there was a conflict with the fullbore guys and Fly was supposed to be a dead duck there. Maybe Rinso, Tim or Kenny etc can elaborate more about this. Always wanted to get to the Tamworth SOTY, but with no gun or rests that are legal, this still couldn't happen. Oh well.

Jethro Bodine.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Mate keep us informed, Tamworth aint that far away, might be able to talk the family into a weekend away, anywhere good to stay up there? with a few pigs :D

I know what its like being under scoped at a fly, attended my first fly this year with my swede and its 3-9, couldn't even make out the scoring rings :shock: not good but I had fun and learn't alot.
243redmist

Post by 243redmist »

native hunter wrote:Tell us how you have been scoring these targets.??
I suspect it's not the right way.
Regards

What makes you say that?

TZ i got home last night and remembered what it was thanks.lol
stinkitup wrote:Mate keep us informed, Tamworth aint that far away, might be able to talk the family into a weekend away, anywhere good to stay up there? with a few pigs :D

I know what its like being under scoped at a fly, attended my first fly this year with my swede and its 3-9, couldn't even make out the scoring rings :shock: not good but I had fun and learn't alot.
Will do mate once we set the calendar which will be soon.

Thought i should show the best target of the day.

Thanks boys
Attachments
DSCF6271 (Small).JPG
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Post by a.JR »

s
Last edited by a.JR on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

I thought the scores were a bit odd, but after seing the target I know why.
Regards
243redmist

Post by 243redmist »

a.JR wrote:Hi 243 RedM, Is this event held at Tamworth or Guyra(SPL) , i flew down from Townsville to the 2002 and then the 2006 NSW SOTY event at Tamworth and there was well over 30 shooters that day .. Bloody freezing it was too..JR..Jeff Rogers
Shot at Tamworth JR.
Sir Snipealot
Favourite Cartridge: .17 HMR

Post by Sir Snipealot »

Just wondering if you guys could fill me in on the rules and general going-ons of shooting Fly.
I have heard it talked about heaps here on the forum, but the blokes at my local SSAA told me they had never even heard of it!

If it is something I enjoy I will be trying to spark some interest at the local club!
harold
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by harold »

Fellow Fly Shooters

The Tamworth Fly shoot was only a club with 10 shooter turning up, The shoot was taken out by Mitchell Tallar a 14yr old with a score of 186.2 and pulled in the 3 smallest groups of the day, this target was not the best of the day, it would be great to have Tamworth in the SOTY next year and we are working on this.
243redmist

Post by 243redmist »

harold wrote:Fellow Fly Shooters
this target was not the best of the day.
It was my for me. :?
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Misty,

Good to see you rolling up for a go at it. It is a pretty challenging for sure. Not bloody boring but...it's actually supposed to be a fun event :lol: The 10th rule is - if your not enjoying yourself youre disqualified :wink:

If I had of known it was on I would have fronted up, next one for sure. I am not a member of that club but will soon have a program for it :D

It is sad that Tamworth has declined the State Shoot it once had, but it is a lot of work from members that makes these things a success. I believe it just got too much.

Harold you will need to speak to the State delegate if the club wants to nominate for it in 2010. 2009 hs already been decided I think. If you don't have the details for him please pm me.

KY