100 Metre Airgun MOA group First attempt.

RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

100 Metre Airgun MOA group First attempt.

Post by RayG »

Hi all,
Well I finally got around to see if I could shoot a MOA group at 100 metres(109 Yards) with my FX .22 Gladiator(PA) using Beeman Kodiak 21 Grain Pellets.Scope used is a BSA"Platinum" 6-24x44 Mildot,a reasonable scope for the money.
The SSAA Para Complex Metallic Silhouette range is a great set up for this,but the range is set in a steep valley in the Adelaide hills and is the best wind funnel in the state (IMHO).
The winds here can drive a normally calm bloke almost into a frenzy.
Anyway with annoying head winds swinging between 10 0,clock to 2 0,clock keeping me busy and pellets flying all over the target, here is my first attempt.
Nine shots in all were made at the target,the first 5 shots are all below the POA and you can see by the spread of the shots that the headwind was a Doozy.
But when I got a bit of rare still air,I got a good surprise,the last 4 shots (6,7,8,9) were almost where I wanted them (Under 1 minute of angle). The POA is the Red circle on the rabbit head,(The outer ring is 1.5 Inches and the inner ring is .75 of an inch) The 3 shots in the target ring measure 0.89 Inch CTC. So for an off the cuff first attempt at Least I proved to myself that the potential is there in both air rifle,pellet and strangely me to shoot the under MOA group. [img]100%20metre%20Target[/img]
cheers all Ray. :rifle:
100 metre Airgun group attempt.jpg
[img]
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Re: 100 Metre Airgun MOA group First attempt.

Post by daisy »

Good try under those conditions . If you get to have a go when the wind is more in your favour you should get a sub moa .

This is my only 2 successes to date. It was with the FX Excalibre 22 shooting JSBs.

The second target is more the norm when I try it from time to time. All were shot with pellets taken straight out of the tin.

I know Harry has done a lot of pellet sorting at times to get the very best groups.

RayG
22-250 Remington

Post by RayG »

There are some promising groups in your lot there Daisy. You must have less wind in your area.
My effort was very off the cuff on the day. I only had some Kodiaks left as I had used all my Exacts on a sillywet match that morning. No one was more surprised than me when the wind dropped and the group appeared with the last 4 shots I made.
Next time I will get organised and dope out the wind better. This could end up being an obsession.
later, Ray 8)
Yrrah
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .25 JSB King

Post by Yrrah »

Well done Ray... Your final four shots, when the air was reasonable, indicate what your rifle can do. Fishtailing head and tail winds are the hardest to shoot in. Head winds often have a vertical component too, down or up, depending upon the lay of the land. That is very hard to pick. ...... Weight match your pellets and maybe get some of the new 18.1 grain JSB Exact heavies from Lewis when they get here.... Thanks for sharing your fine effort ... Kind regards, Harry.
RayG
22-250 Remington

Post by RayG »

Thanks for your encouragement Harry. I shall persevere.
Cheers, Ray.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Ray thats some impressive groups at 100 for a first try, well done. Specially with no pellet sorting and some trying conditions.
Detritus
.22 WMR

Post by Detritus »

Now c'mon Ray,,,,,,,,
Para windy???!!!??? I'm seriously going to get you up to Monarto sometime! :lol:
But nice going for sure. Well done.
How bout we pit the two Gladiator models against each other on a favourable day sometime soon...? Results to be posted here ofcourse... :wink:

Cheers,
Ben.
RayG
22-250 Remington

Post by RayG »

Howdy Ben,
Yes I will have to get serious about this MOA thing.
At the moment I am slowly getting back into reloading and will get a new powder scale so I can get my pellets sorted for my future attempts at 100 plus.
By the way sorry I have not got back to you on the Dive tank thing,my priorities have gone into the 4X4 at the moment I have had radiator woes and the big dollars have gone into that.
The Big boys toys are getting more expensive these days Ay!
later, Ray.