Which Spotting Scope?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
paz
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Which Spotting Scope?

Post by paz »

Fathers day is coming up and i mentioned to the wife i wouldn't mind a set of binoculars, well been thinking and i reckon i would most likely use a spotting scope more, but which one? Looking to spend up to about $500.00 i reckon.

Paz
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Re: Which Spotting Scope?

Post by LoneRider »

doesnt matter which one,but....
if you can see a freckle on a fleas dick at 1000 yrds...by that one.
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

For that sort of money Paz a Sequoia (Korean Leupold) or a Bushnell would fit the budget.
I have the wind river sequoia and it is fair for the money.15-45x60mm.
Not in the class of the Euros or top Japanese but very usuable.
Macca
morerams

Post by morerams »

For $500 buy the scope you can see the most detail through, line up your choices & see how far away you can read the street signs and buy the one you can see the farthest sign with, not the same model in a new box, but the one you have looked through.
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

morerams wrote:For $500 buy the scope you can see the most detail through, line up your choices & see how far away you can read the street signs and buy the one you can see the farthest sign with, not the same model in a new box, but the one you have looked through.
thats what i said :roll:
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Macca,I have the same spotter as you have and I reckon for the money Paz you will be disapointed,Paz what power scope do you have now,if a low power just get a T36 or something that is usefull.

Regards Chris.
paz
.222 Remington

Post by paz »

Thank guys, biggest problem of living in a smallish country town is not to many shops keep stock of lots of scopes to have a look at, makes trying before you buy fairly hard, especially with something like a spotter scope.
The most powerful scope i have at present is on my rugged #1 25-06, an 8-32x40 Bushnell 4200, bloody excellent scope, only problem is I'll go broke quick trying to upgrade every scope on all my rifles :lol: .

Paz
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

chris.tyne wrote:Macca,I have the same spotter as you have and I reckon for the money Paz you will be disapointed,Paz what power scope do you have now,if a low power just get a T36 or something that is usefull.

Regards Chris.
Chris is yours blurry or have colour issues.I have seen others of these that were crap but i must have got a midweek one as it is clear even on 45power.
Macca
Ron Goulding
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by Ron Goulding »

Just a thought why dont you try some of the rifle clubs, i picked up a 25pwr meopta with GREAT optics for $50. I also picked up a Bushnell sentry II 20 pwr with great glass for $150. For $500 you should get something real fancy from somebody thats given the sport away,and proberly have change to put towards something that goes BANG.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Ron Goulding wrote:Just a thought why don't you try some of the rifle clubs
Exactly.

My fiance's father picked up a Kowa (one of the older models, off memory I think it is a straight 24X, he got it for $200). The optics in this are pristine, much better then what is out on the shelves today courtesy of the sweatshops of China.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Macca,all of the mentioned,it was/is a piece of crap(well maybe not crap but you know what I mean).Wife thought that she would surprise me with it as a christmas gift,in the chrissy present wrapper disposal routine the cardboard slip that goes over the case was put in the bin,so guess what I was told when I asked for a refund/credit for the item when I worked out that wifey had spent over $500 on the bloody thing,sorry no can do,rang some bloke in QLD that was supposed to be the head sherang and he could care less as well,good product support.
If I had my time again I would get a good fixed power or variable scope and use that as a spotter,Paz I have the same scope as you have and it shits all over the above mentioned spotter that I have,be carefull as what looks good in the shop and great when viewing the shop across the road or street sign's might appear a little different when looked through at the range once you have paid for it (and dont throw any packaging away :roll: ).

Regards Chris.
Poohbah
Favourite Cartridge: 223rem

Post by Poohbah »

Here is a link to the spotting scope I have, it was recomended to me by some bench rest guys who said it was better than alot of more expensive scopes, any warranties goes through Tasco. I had to return the eye piece as it was missing an o-ring, no problems at all.
Mine is the 20-60x80

http://www.nvt.com.au/Spotting-Scopes/A ... /products/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Post by malcolm »

Paz, why don't you rattle off an email to Anthony at Vortex. I have looked through Rinso's spotting scope and it'd do me
Malcolm
paz
.222 Remington

Post by paz »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, Rinso has helped me out with a spotter he wasn't using. Now with what i have left I'm looking for a new scope as well, thinking another Bushnell, gotta love it :wink: .

Paz