t!

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

Shane, could you give us a rough price for the action work on the Omark ? Would you make Jeff's version of the barrel adaptor if there was enough demand ?
I'd like to do it all myself but it's just too much $$ to get a lathe and go thru the learning curve to get to the point of turning out a good result.
I'd make my own stock though, time consuming but no problem otherwise.
Great thread Jeff 8)

Sam
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Success at Last!

Post by a.JR »

s
Last edited by a.JR on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Sam,
Well basicly to do what has been mentioned would be around the $550-600 mark.
This would be a complete true of the existing action and bolt with the bolt handle replaced for a longer one with roller cam and the bolt body sleeved.

An adaptor made to JR's specs.

And the action machined for a bottom removable trigger group. ( note this would not be done if the customer wanted a traditional screw in bedding setup, it is only required for glue in's, even then it can be avoided, would depend on the customers wishes) This is a good idea but we can cut the cost if it is not done.
cheers,
Shane
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Glued in ?

Post by Sam Walker »

With a Glued in action, what happens when you need a new barrel ? Is the action glued to a bedding compound using epoxy, which could be unstuck with a heat gun ? Do glued in actions ever come unstuck at inconvenient moments ?
Sam
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Sam,

Glued in actions normally have fully free floating barrels so it's no drama to screw them out. I glue my actions in with super strength Araldite. This is done after bedding with a two part epoxy bedding compound. I unglue my action with an iron turned up to it's highest setting by sitting it on top of the scope bases. Araldite has a fairly low melting point then most 2 part epoxies so it doesn't damage the bedding if you have to remove the action. The only problem with a heat gun is if you have a painted stock otherwise it should work.

If the actions are glued in with no stress then they shouldn't come apart. Depends on who does the job but most glue ins I have seen are also pillar bedded and screwed as well. My 2 Remingtons are done this way but my Stolle and Bat are just straight glue ins.

Steven
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

If a remington action was to be used in place of the omark, how much work and what would be required to get it up to speed?

Al
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Basicly Al the rem would need,

a full true $200

an oversized recoil lug $60.

upgrade trigger to a match trigger $200-350 depending on weight and quality.

new firing pin assembly ( optional but worht it) $135-200.

single shot adaptor fitted $60.

I think thats everything, oh you could also go an extended bolt handle if you wanted.
cheers,
Shane
Easy Rollins

Post by Easy Rollins »

Just one question for now Jeff....I've heard Les Flood uses a 300WSM.

Not the go?
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Problems

Post by a.JR »

]
Last edited by a.JR on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albow
.257 Roberts

project underway

Post by albow »

Well, over the past couple of weeks have been doing some planning on building one of these guns.

As I am looking for it more as a hobbie I decided to have a crack at making my own stock and have taken some guidance from Jeff and Kenny on this issue. Over the weekend just gone I prepared my laminates and glued it all up tonight.

Also today I placed an order with Maddco for a barrel to Jeff's specifications. Unfortunately the cost was $600 plus postage. They indicated that the initial $500 price given to Jeff was for a 26" barrel and each inch thereafter was $25. They have however indicated that they will have it ready to go 2 - 3 weeks into the new year. Will have to wait and see if this estimate will be true as I spoke to SARA about a Krieger and because it is a custom order they indicated it would probably take 4 - 5 months before I receive it.

The next thing to do is find an action!

Al
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Apoligies!

Post by a.JR »

]
Last edited by a.JR on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Al bow

Good stuff, what did you go with for a final design ?

Will have a squizz at the local shop for any actions Thursday..never know what might pop up :D

JR, I think actions will be in very-short-supply...... after all this :D

KY
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

AJR,
What are the rules for LR br in reguard to crowns and crown shapes/ styles etc

I have heard of a type of crown called a quite crown that can act partially like a brake but without having any holes in it ro vent the gasses.

I have seen one on a US varmint hunting video and it seems to work quite well of the bench.

later
p
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Brakes

Post by a.JR »

]
Last edited by a.JR on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Re: Apoligies!

Post by a.JR »

e]
Last edited by a.JR on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.