factory .223 with silver cases

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

factory .223 with silver cases

Post by bimbo »

just wondering if there are any factory loads for the .223 out there that have the silver/nickel cases? thought that if i was to develop 2 loads for my rifle - one varmin and another with a heavy projectil for goats/pigs it would make them easily distinguishable - and they look cool :)

cheers
james
JamesBrown

Post by JamesBrown »

Good idea there's Federal Nickel Match got to sell some blood for it but most plasic tip projectiles are a different colour it would be much cheeper too.
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

Winchester supreme have the nickel brass. They were $26 for 20 after a 3% increase recently. They come loaded with the combined technology balistic tipped projectiles.
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

and most people seem to find them line ball accuracy wise with the remington premier/premium accutip loads, I found them to kick a little harder and to shoot a little better (bugger all in it)

BUT

I do recall something about them being harder on reloading dies.. If you search around, someone might be able to confirm or deny with some facts, but not much is softer than brass... so i suspect there is some truth to it being 'harder on dies' but harder to the point of issues.. I'm not sure.

it does look bling, especially with the black combined tech projectiles :-P
jb747

Post by jb747 »

I used to use nickel coated brass in the 243s to differentiate rounds meant for different rifles. No issues with them, other than the fact that you can't neck turn them. There's still a few odd rounds in the collection with nickel coats, and as long as they are the same brand as others, they don't shoot any differently.

Nowdays, I just use a different brand of brass for the same purpose.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day all,
Me thinks it is easier to use different coloured ammo boxes to separate the digfferent applications and use your prefered brand of brass................

Looks do not equate into better performance. Accuracy is everything!

Cheerio Ned
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

thanks guys
i will see what i can find next time i am out at the gun shop - they are sposed to be having a christmas sale this friday so that might be a good excuse to go out there

cheers
james
Easy Rollins

Post by Easy Rollins »

The nickel is harder on the dies.Also I find with .38spl cases the necks crack sooner than plain brass.
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

well i picked up a box of the winny supremes the other day and had a crack with them out at the range on the weekend. as well as looking cool they shoot blody well. I shot a 5 shot group with 4 shots all touching (stringed laterally) which went into .5 inch and including the flyer just on 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Next time i am out at the range i will shoot a few more groups to make sure it wasn't a fluke on my part.But if i can replicate it (preferably without the flyer) i think i will use up what ammo i have left in the safe and when that is gone get a hundred or two of the winchesters.