My new project, help please!!!

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
dave
7mm08 Rem

My new project, help please!!!

Post by dave »

Well after much discussion and arguing with myself ive decided to have 3 rifles in the safe which are .308(all rounder), 6.5x55AI(Paper punching) and a .223AI(Varmint). But as ive worked out i will get more use out of the 223 straight away so that is what i will work on first and the others i will put together slowly.

The question is what rifle should i base the .223AI on. The three models ive considerd so far are the Rem 700(SPS Varmint, VLS etc) Tikka T3(Varmint, Super Varmint) or Savage Mod12 series.

Any suggestions on where i should go with this? Tempted to go the cheaper models SPS etc so more $ can be spent on a better scope but im still undecided.....Pretty sure a Vortex Viper will get the go!

Any help would be good......
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Re: My new project, help please!!!

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day Dave,
if you are after a factory action, I'd get Rem700 or if you could find one the single shot XR100. Why, plenty of aftermarket triggers, accessories etc to customise to your every whim. Failing that I'd look seriously at the Savage action. Though the Tikkas have always offered good budget priced accuracy out of the box. It will depend on what is favoured by your gunsmith for ease of working on and the actions pro's & cons.

Custom actions the world is your oyster and the limit of your wallet. :shock:

But for field work maybe a rem will better suited, then spend the big $$$ on the paper punchers. Personally, I've used the Hall S, BAT DS, Stolle Panda and Nesika actions and cannot find fault, be guided by your gunsmith on the quality/finish/choice of options for the different makes and then your personal preference. I've had a good look the Stiller Viper and like them a lot too.

Hope this helps

Cheerio Ned
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

dave,

Like most BR shooters after the custom actions are removed from consideration I tend to go back to a Rem700 for the reasons Ned mentioned already.

How about buying the better quality Rem and having it accurized but keeping the barrel.

Best advice is that from your gunsmith anyway.

cheers
Rinso
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Dave,

My nephew has a 243 VLS, nice gun for a factory rifle, much better finish than a SPS.

With the VLS you get the rem action so there are plenty of after market parts as has
been mentioned and a 223 is a gun you will use a lot compared to the other calibres, so you need to like it to use it.

Glenn
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

What you will gain over the standard .223 in a factory barrel is not worth the hassle and expense of rechambering to AI and fireforming . 100 FPS (if you get it) makes so little difference to trajectory it will probably be lost in the grouping of the rifle . Spend more money on the scope , a trigger job or a rifle with a good stock first up . If you want more grunt , get the .22/250 .
The SPS stock is rubbish IMO . VLS or VLSS thumbhole , VSF etc. all have good quality stocks .
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day Dave,
exactly my sentiments exactly! I fully agree with the previous replies. Get a good stock; not an SPS stock unless you want an aftermarket one and even then you can sell a quality Rem700 stock but I dont think you'll find a buyer for a Rem 700 SPS stock!

Go for a std .223 chamber dont worry about AI the case as a friend of mine has one and has not been really happy about it, as it wasn't much of an improvement over the regular .223 performance and hard to tune. He's thinking of re-chambering to a std .223.

hope this all helps and good luck

Cheerio Ned
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Sounds good gents! I was leaning towards a rem as a custom is something i will be looking at for the 6.5x55AI. As for making it an AI im still not 100% sure i will change my mind although some ppl suggest doing that with a .22-250 to get the most of it compared to a .223.

Anyway im awaiting a few quotes in particular a Rem VSF so will see how goes!

Thanks again fellas all good advice!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

If you want a 223AI for that extra bit of punch, then get a 22-250. If you want the 223 because of its lack of noise compared to the bigger 22 cals then get a 204, as it will be handy for longer shots and similar in bark to the 223.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

As i will be reloading ammo costs etc dont bother me, does the 204 have more to offer the rabbit/fox shooter than a 223???
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

dave,
As i will be reloading ammo costs etc dont bother me, does the 204 have more to offer the rabbit/fox shooter than a 223???
Now you've done it .. :shock: :shock: The 204 brigade .... CHARGE :roll: :roll: :roll:

Apparently if you don't get the 204 you just don't get it ... I have only seen one cartridge develop such a devout and cult like following ... yes the perfect all rounder for everything from varmiting Elephants to head shooting micro organisms on passing meateors you need a 204 & 243 :shock: :roll: :roll:

Realistically the 223 IMHO is a better all rounder than a 204 (Flame proof suit ON)

cheers
Rinso
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

dave wrote:Sounds good gents! I was leaning towards a rem as a custom is something i will be looking at for the 6.5x55AI. As for making it an AI im still not 100% sure i will change my mind although some ppl suggest doing that with a .22-250 to get the most of it compared to a .223.

Anyway im awaiting a few quotes in particular a Rem VSF so will see how goes!

Thanks again fellas all good advice!
The .22/250AI has more to offer vs the original case than does the .223AI . The .22/250 case has a lot of taper and stretches badly with full powered loads . Blowing it out to AI overcomes this problem and also allows velocity as good or slightly better than the great .220 Swift . Alternatively you could just get a Swift straight up .
For rabbits and foxes a .204 would be an excellent choice . Add roos or dogs to the equation and you're better off with one of the bigger .22's .
Fireforming cases is a bit of a pain in my experience . Just more work to get an accurate load for both forming and formed unless you go with the cream of wheat method .
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Dunno why i suggested it..... Im a member of the 22-250 brigade! But I can see the merits of such a round. I must admit I have ever only seen 2 hits in my scope, not because im a shit shot (getting better actually) but the jump with the 22-250 is definitely there. 204 might be a little less thats for sure.

Does anyone know if the primer pockets stretching will stop or slow down if I get an AI job done?

If your reloading mate, the 204 sounds the way to go.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

I have a Redding body die for 223AI if you are interested- use a Lee collet neck dies for most of your reloading of the AI case.

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there is standard 223 and AI info and load maps etc on this page.
regardless of which you choose I would make it on a faster twist barrel for the extra options it will give you.

Talk to Ackley IMp about his reamer and dies to suit in a 6.5x55 improved design.

later
P
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Thanks guys im starting to think i might go the .204 and possibly a 243AI somewhere.......somewhere god knows oh how simple ideas turn into complicated ones again lol
siacci

Post by siacci »

I have a Tikka 223 std profile. I use it for shooting foxes and rabbits. Its a great gun out of the box. If your looking at customizing get something with a short action as Tikka has the "one size fits all". I don't mind the long action but as I get a bit more financial I will buy the Sako 223 just for the short action.

If your going custom maybe buy an older gun with a very good action to suit the caliber you decide on.

Dave