6.5 x 47 Lapua info

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

6.5 x 47 Lapua info

Post by lowndsie »

Saw Ogre mention this cal in another post and was curious to see what everyone knows about it????

Ogre, what type of rifle are you planning on making out of it??
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

I have an ...errr...aquaintance in qld who is talking about building one, from what I hear they are pretty sweet :D there is some info on 6BR.com I think.
KY
edwennink

Post by edwennink »

ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

mate IF I had the reddies JB747's rifle would be sold and I would be waiting on a 6.5 S/S match barrel to have fitted to it in 6.5x47.

From everything I have read it is the 6 BR of the 6.5's. Frugal, efficient, accurate, great brass life, short action calibre, Lapua.

I'm a bit of a 6.5 nut so I want one but just dont have the $$.

Make an awsome feral hunting rifle/mountain rifle with 120's at @3000 fps.

to me its what the .260 Rem should be like but the .260 missed the mark for some reason.

I would have one in a heatbeat if I was working ( involuntary re-trenched in july) and had the $$.

Same goes for the 6.5 grendel Id have one of those also- though I dont need one or the other as I have a Tikka 695 master sporter 6.5x55 and loaded properly it will do more than either of smaller rounds will- I still want them.

Affliction of being a 6.5 nut I supose

later
P
ogre6br
300 Win Mag

Post by ogre6br »

thanks ED- care to translate it for me??

I have been looking arround his site- damn I wish I could read german

later
P
singleshot
.17 HMR

Post by singleshot »

Below are comments I made in another thread regarding 6.5x47 necked down to 6mm.
I have a 6.5 barrel to be chambered in 6.5x47, just waiting for reamer. I have not had enough time yet to fully sort the 6mm.

I am now using the new 6/6.5 x 47 Lapua for F Class. Using 105g Scennar's and a stiff load of 2209. Great results so far. No chrono results yet, but should be well over 3000fps.
My 6BR goes 2910fps with 105's.
These cartridges have so much in their favour, superb accuracy, easy to tune and brass that is of really high quality. As far as I know there is plenty of 6.5x47 Lapua brass available in Oz. But,,,, quality comes at a price, these are expensive cases. On the up side, if they hold up as well as the 6br they will last for many firings.

Note: not to be confused with the old 6 x 47 based on the 222mag case.

Cameron
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek072.html

Ogre, I think you are getting my interest here. If my 6/250 is a repeater and my CZ527 becomes a 20 practical then perhaps the XR100 idea for my custom 204 could even be a 20br with a spare barrel in this exciting new calibre!

By the way, anyone know what this weekend's lotto numbers might be??? :wink:
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

what would be a good comparison cartridge for recoil figures? Just trying to work out a feral cartridge for the missus. Was looking at the 6.8 spc but this one has got me thinking.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag

Post by ogre6br »

Lowndsie wrote:what would be a good comparison cartridge for recoil figures? Just trying to work out a feral cartridge for the missus. Was looking at the 6.8 spc but this one has got me thinking.
which/what ferals and how much a shooting experience has you better half had??

Is she recoil shy?? then a 223 with Hornady 60 grainers either HP or SP placed right will do the job on most ferals.
or smae projectiles in a nicely painted urban camo 22/250 might be good for her.

the Br or 6/250 with 85-105 grain slugs is the next step up I would take if she can handle the recoil of the smaller ones

and then the 6.5x47 or 6.5 grendel with 107-123 grain weight slugs if she can handle recoil ok.

Correct Shot placement with any of them will get the job done.

If your better half is an experienced shooter than can handle recoil fine then a 6.5x55 with 140's will be just more of a good thing.

The next step after that IMNHO is the 308.

I think the 6.8 is a fad and will go away soon.

HTH
later
P
edwennink

Post by edwennink »

ogre6br wrote:thanks ED- care to translate it for me??
I have been looking arround his site- damn I wish I could read german
later
P
Mate,

Keep scrolling down...a lot is in English!

Ed
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

Well I just brought her a tikka T3 Lite in 223 that I'll be reveiwing over the next day or two. Over the weekend it shot some incredible groups with 64gr winchester powerpoints so they might be the go for goats and spotlighting pigs.