New Quarter Bore Ruger 1-V

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
paz
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by paz »

Up till now mate all i have ever used is 2209. Got a good load going with it and am gunna stick with it i think.

Paz
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

Rinso wrote:paz,

Good work mate.

Try a 54.5grn load and a 54 grn load seems the best group was the slowest so check that you will still get about 3400fps out of those loads

cheers
Rinso
That would be pretty mild load wouldn't it ? I could knock a 6mm 75gn V Max out of my .243 AI at over 3670 FPS with 760 . Thought the .25/06 should be good for at least another 100 FPS with the same weight projectile .
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

I have found that mine likes a mild load also, dont own a chrony so I couldnt tell you what the MV is but it chugs away with 56.5gn 2209 with a 75gn V Max, same goes for the 87gn sierra SP's and the 100gn speer SP's, nice n mild! It really doesnt shoot any better as you go hotter, just noisier.
paz
.222 Remington

Post by paz »

Yeh pretty mild i guess, all three of the loads that i have tried so far were really good, 'cept for the 56 grainer which i am sure i pulled. Each one had the projectile just off the lands.
Think from memory uncle nick stated 2209 to be good from 54gr to 58 or 59, and max powder gaining the fastest out of all his recommended powders for the 75gr projectile.
Like Model70 said, i didn't see any marked improvement to go hotter so backed off to a load that would let me run a few more rounds through it on spotlighting trips with my mates before they started to whine about their ears bleeding :lol: .

Paz
saladin

Post by saladin »

Hey paz! top stuff mate. scope looks like a good fit - it's really only the shroud that makes it look a bit cumbersome. personally, i reckon the long, black scope suits the traditional look of the rifle.

and it's shooting very nicely, too. but you need five shot groups to claim MOA.... :lol:

keep up the good work. and long live the #1.

paz
.222 Remington

Post by paz »

ooohhheee, that the new one with the 6-24 bushy? Very nice.

Paz
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

paz wrote:Yeh pretty mild i guess, all three of the loads that i have tried so far were really good, 'cept for the 56 grainer which i am sure i pulled. Each one had the projectile just off the lands.
Think from memory uncle nick stated 2209 to be good from 54gr to 58 or 59, and max powder gaining the fastest out of all his recommended powders for the 75gr projectile.
Like Model70 said, i didn't see any marked improvement to go hotter so backed off to a load that would let me run a few more rounds through it on spotlighting trips with my mates before they started to whine about their ears bleeding :lol: .

Paz
Also lets you shoot a five round group instead of three before it burns the skin off your fingers when you touch the barell :shock:
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

BC,

The 54 & 54.5 loads were with regard to load development. More in the interest of seeing were the most accurate load for that rifle is.

I have found that my 25.06 shoots good groups with a wide range of loads ie 54 to 57.5 with 75 V Max's ... I generally run around the 56 -57 grn mark but its nice to know exactly where I can load to both up and down and maintain accuracy.

As I said 54 grns will yield around 3400 fps with the 75 V Max which still a solid load in any case

cheers
Rinso
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

Rinso ,
No worries . I guess I've always aimed to find an accurate load that allows me to utilise close to the full capability of the cartridge I choose . If that means changing the projectile or powder I do it . I won't even consider using a load on game that is 300 FPS below what I think is safely achievable in any given cartridge . Other people think differently and are entitled to do so .
saladin

Post by saladin »

paz wrote:ooohhheee, that the new one with the 6-24 bushy? Very nice.

Paz
nah mate. that's the old 16x weaver on it. bushy still not ordered. damn finances!
Col. Pogy

Re: New Quarter Bore Ruger 1-V

Post by Col. Pogy »

Congrats on your 1-V 25-06. You will like it greatly. I had one just like it in 25-06 . Put a 6.5-20 Leu on it. Sierra made a 90 grain HP boattail for deer then and it was great with a case full of IMR 4831 in that gun. I did nothing to tune it except to add a thin washer between the foreend and hanger where the screw went in.That tiny fraction made the difference between great and SUPER! Cats, goats, bunnies or foxes will be in trouble now. Good luck with your rifle. pogy
paz
.222 Remington

Post by paz »

Col. Pogy wrote:add a thin washer between the foreend and hanger where the screw went in
Thanks mate, I'm extremely happy with it at present. I have done nothing except shoot it from straight out of the box, though i had heard/read of doing the same as you had, also read another thing where a guy used something like rubber tape to bed the fore end of his number one. One day i will do one or the other. Link below.
http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=17533

Paz
paz
.222 Remington

Post by paz »

Update.
Went out this arvo with my 303 and took the '06 out for a little load testing, had 2 x different loads to test each having 2 x 3 shots each (in between playing with the 30' :mrgreen: ).
First to go were some 100gr SP speers that Rinso had given me to try, first three shots were 50gr 2209 and i ended up with one ragged hole, second was 51 gr of the same, these threw a group of around 1.5".
Next up were some 115gr ballistic tips that Lowndsie had given me, first round was 46gr of 2209, these threw a group of about 1.5", the other was 47gr of the same, these ended up with a 1" group.
Sort of seems as though the lighter bullets prefer a milder load to the heavies(also use a mildish load for my 75gr V-Max's). Will do some more load testing very soon.

Paz