best gun cases, your opinions please

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
feralbuster
17 Hornet

best gun cases, your opinions please

Post by feralbuster »

Hey fellas, just been on a 'big game hunt' up near birdsville. Shot some camels, donkeys & brumbies. However rough bit of country and managed to break some gear in the back of my ute, worst of all I've bent the eye-piece on my leupold Vx11 (rifle it was on in a soft case because my 204 was in my hard case).
So this doesn't happen again, I realise i need upgrade my 'field' cases, I was leaning toward either kolpin gun boots or some alloy jobs from Fortress cases, but I was interested to hear what people have had and their opinions on them.
Urban_Assassin

Post by Urban_Assassin »

Hi
The Plano airglide case holds the gun upright with no contact on your scope while not letting the gun slide in any way.
Last edited by Urban_Assassin on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urban_Assassin

Post by Urban_Assassin »

Here is the link if you would like to have a look.
http://www.planomolding.com/content/ind ... &partid=27#
500Nitro
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Fortress - based in NSW somewhere.

Will custom make them as well.
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

we use pelican cases for some gear at work and i am pretty sure you can get them in asize that would take a rifle. they are pretty good and take a beating
feralbuster
17 Hornet

Post by feralbuster »

urban assassin, any idea who stocks the airglide one in australia, that airglide looks pretty good
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Fortress or Big Iron cases......... not plastic :D

KY
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

Fortress for me; I have one double-rifle case; tough! (but heavy; though who cares as long as the rifle is safe)
bustedleg

Post by bustedleg »

i have a Plano Rifle case and it comes lined with egg shell foam and have carted my rifle all over the place in my 4 wheel drive with no il effects
robin

Post by robin »

Try John Eland at Everlite Travel Goods 0394973829.He makes custom cases to any dimension.Took one to England and airline could't dent it. Know of one that a deer shooter drove his landcruiser over with rifle inside and no damage.
RobH.
jimbo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6 PPC

Post by jimbo »

Folks, the safe carriage of your firearms has always been a bone of contention with me. I almost despair when I see $2000 rifles turn up at the range in a $50 bag. It's like putting retreads on a Ferrari!

I am about to review some soft gun bags, as quite frankly there is some crap out there that merely covers the gun but does not protect it. The sort that are imported for about $15 and sold for five times that price.

Having traveled overseas to shoots with $7000 equipment (all up), a solid box is needed. A well known benchrest shooter has traveled all over the world with a Stamford case and so far no airline has managed to break it.
I have used a Pelican case, which is very tough and baggage handler proof.
The down side is that it weighs over 8 kilos empty and that's a lot to give away with a 20KG o/seas airline limit. Qantas give me a 32 kg limit which is no problem. The answer would seem to be to seek out an aluminium box with substantial padding. I recently traveled to Qld for a benchrest match and borrowed one of those aluminium boxes with no brand on it, but it looked very much like one of those Winchester ones. It survived the journey in the plane OK. Just check you gear when you collect it from Baggage Services for any damage.

When choosing a gun box, check out the locks and the hinges. They must be sturdy and not able to be knocked around and damaged. The very best form of hinge in the piano type that runs the full length of the box.

Even with all that in place, I still run a leather strap around the centre of the case. Call me nervous but I don't want to arrive at a World Championship or something with a broken gun.
Blackpete

Post by Blackpete »

no doubt about it, if you want the best the Pelican is it, i wouldn't even consider the others.

Pete.
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

Crap, Blackpete, you were eyeing off my Fortress, weren't you?
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

I like the Plano Airglide as well. Keeps the gun secure and you aren't paying excess baggage fees because of a load of packing material filling up the case.