Peltor Tactical 7S Earmuffs

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

crowbuster wrote:Mine have a jack so you can plug in an mp3 player or UHF radio. Cord not supplied though.

CB
What brand are they??

P
crowbuster

Post by crowbuster »

Mine is the Peltor Tactical Sport model, which may be slightly different to Dr. G's. It also has interchangeable cups (black or orange) & stereo microphones for directional hearing. I thoroughly recommend them and am very impressed with their sound muting / amplifying abilities.
Bought them from Sinclairs.

CB
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Used the peltors in the field on friday night and they performed flawlessly. Not once did they get in the way or hit the stock. THey allowed helen and I to carry on a normal conversation while keeping our ears protected. Having them turned up fully was quite freaky, every stone hiting the hilux's underbody rang like a clarion and the noise of the engine and tires on the track was bizzare. It amazes me that i am ever able to drive up on cats given how much noise we make.

When I shot the fox it was moving right to left at a trott about 150m out, I stuffed up my lead and hit it in its guts just behind the ribs. The yelp it let out sounded as if it was a lot closer. The next shot hit it right between the eyes. I am not sure if I would have heard the yelp without the earmuffs.

I am looking forwards to going for a bit of a walk about with them on. I think they will be invaluable in locating cats in tight cover.

Close to the best $150 I have ever spent
Davyd

Post by Davyd »

Ditto

I bought the Peltor Sport Tac nearly a year ago (the first in Aus I think) after extensive medical tests to find the cause of tinitutus indicated that I had some hearing loss-at least some from shooting.

These all seem to come out of technolgy initally developed for hunters to track game then refined for the US military as they now seem to be on the eharing damage issue. it is the same technology the military guys, SWAT etc use

The 7s is the slighly older technology (not sure what difference it makes it makes in practice - I think they are meant to have smoother and quicker damping which makes conversation easier around guns and other loud noises - avoiding clipping?)
The sport tac is the vesion designed to be marketed to hunters and most recently released

I have worn mine all day in hot summer conditions walking for hours at a time - while I'd prefer not to; it works and is reasonably comfortable. No signifincant knocking against the stock both in offhand or prone postions. Also I have yet to replace the batteries after a number of hunts and uses at the range. Sometimes I actually switch them off to reduce the level of distracting sound during a competition. Every centrefire hunt and most rimfire hunting I use these.

I agree the sound amplification and noise cut out is amazing. I can hear the grass against my trousers as I walk - but clapping my hands the sound cuts out. It is also amazing to hear the sounds that you don't hear due to the blast of the rifle over powering my ears- the thud of the bullet into an animal is much clearer, and I had not realised how many .22lr rounds riccochet even in a normal paddock -- it is actually quite disconcerting to hear how many whine away.

They do however increase wind noise significantly.

technically neither have enough sound reduction at 19NRR (and 25 for 7s)and peak protection on some frequencies and levels of around 30db from memmory - while rifles and shotguns get up to 160-170 apparently - and theoritically damage occurs above 100 for impulse sounds. However they are a massive improvement on nothing. Howerver since decibels are on a log scale - I'll happily take 19-30 off the top - which reduces the sound level (and impact) to the ears by at least 4X to my understanding

At Little river centrefire range with its lovely reflective roofs I still use plugs and muffs for this reason - but would do so even without the electonics versions - at least with the electronic versions I still have some awareness of what is going on around - particualry as the non explosive sounds can be magnified and have better penetration through the plugs.

It annoys me that so many shooters are losing their hearing (An Australian study was done recently that showed that shooters had noticiable and statistically signifincant hearing loss) and the best solution for hunters is illegal in this country - while available in many and required in some!

Ther are also earplugs (using hearing aid and this military tecnology) that can be tailored to do the same effect but are many times the price ($1000 as a guide) - though as somone said it is still a shitload cheaper to use earplugs occasionally than hearing aids permanently

there are alos earplugs from moderatley cheap to reasonably expensive that claim to so the same thing with passive non electic systems - that let normal sound levles through but high sound levels cause interfernce with eachother. I'd love to see an independent review - I am a litlle suspicious