BlueBazooka.com - anyone tried them?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
zzsstt

Post by zzsstt »

Ackley Improved wrote:For me, when products can be offered to myself for a reduced price over what is available here, why should I not be allowed to buy it, or the dealer that can provide it, not be allowed? It shits me.
I completely agree, you should have that right.

But for arguments sake, lets look at a similar situation. Lets say I own a factory in NSW that makes a product (doesn't matter what it is). At present, I buy the raw materials from local producers and employ 100 people. My calculations tell me that if I were to move my factory to China, employ Chinese workers and use Chinese raw material, I can ship the product back, sell it at the same price and make more money.

Presumably all the people who are advocating their right to buy from the cheaper overseas supplier because the importer is "ripping them off" would agree that my employees are ripping me off (they must be, I can get the same work done more cheaply overseas), and that my suppliers are ripping me off (again, those materials are cheaper overseas). Therefore they would support my right, and in fact fully encourage me to close my NSW factory, sack my 100 workers and relocate the business to China.

Yes?

Or should I remember that not all countries have the same salaries and cost of living, and that perhaps my employees wages are actually fair from a local viewpoint, and my suppliers need to charge that price because their cost of production is also higher. So maybe I should swallow that lost potential profit and support my local economy?

Is it one rule for all, or does the fact that I own the factory make me different for some reason?

I'm interested to hear your opinions.....
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

Guy's I've been in retail management for 20+ years, and in that time I have only seen 2 way's to make a profit (and stay in business).
Volume or margin? either sell lots of product at a small margin, or less product at a greater margin (profit).
Obviously a small gun shop can't afford to hold $X mil of stock as the volume is just not there to justify it (like say a Bunnings), hence he needs to sell good reliable product at a reasonable profit to supply a service and stay in business.
Otherwise no gun shop, just the simple facts.
Hope this helps someone.
Regards Alpal.
JamesBrown

Post by JamesBrown »

alpal I don't think anyone is pointing the finger at gun shops for any of these matters.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

And what happen's when importation of firearm related equipment privately is prohibated altogether,I have on doubt that it will be when not if.

Regards Chris.
GIJ
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by GIJ »

I'm with AI. If the same product is available cheaper elsewhere, thats where I'll get it from.

If an os gunshop buys leupolds at $500 I bet you Nioa buys bulk loads at $400 each (the volume or margin rule by alpal) so the difference should be a lot smaller. And if Nioa was so honourable with their pricing why are they trying to block out the competition? I'm happy to pay $100 or so more (I have to, I'm in WA) for the convenience of picking a scope off the shelve but this is too much.

zzsstt...
As for the future of australian manufacturing, you have to be competitive globally. China makes things cheaper, so australia has to make things better or sell up. I'd pay more for quality but true blue aussie loyalty alone will only carry you so far.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

I love the manufactureres cry of, "we have to move off shore to stay competitive"
They move OS with cheapo labour and materials and then still sell for the same price as they were before they went OS, and rip us off farkin blind.
Blunstone boots are no cheaper than they were a year ago, but I bet their profit went up 70-80%.
If a manufacturerer went off shore because of competition, than I will buy the chinese copy, and stuff the middle man/brand names theives.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

Also I agree with GIJ, if a scope was only 100-150 dollars dearer then I would buy from here.
Last purchase from OS was a scope $467 Australian dollars, inclueds insurance, credit card charges, and postage.
I was quoted $950 Australian by a LGS, then drive 280 km round trip to pick it up, what a farkin rip off, they can stick it up their arse IMO.
500Nitro
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Knackers wrote:Also I agree with GIJ, if a scope was only 100-150 dollars dearer then I would buy from here.
Last purchase from OS was a scope $467 Australian dollars, inclueds insurance, credit card charges, and postage.
I was quoted $950 Australian by a LGS, then drive 280 km round trip to pick it up, what a farkin rip off, they can stick it up their arse IMO.

Knackers

Just out of interest, why did you drive 280km to pick it up ?

Why not just get it posted ?
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

Sorry Nitro, badly worded.
If I brought the scope in question I would have to drive to Albury to pick it up, there's your 280 km round trip. I didn't ask if they could post it to me, they probably could to save me the drive, and I supose that I would get charged for it too, which is fair enough, but IMO someone is ripping the shit out of the Aussie market.
I could buy TWO of those scopes from OS and still have $16 AUD change for what I got quoted is Australia.
Last edited by Knackers on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
500Nitro
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Yep, which is why I didn't comment on the pricing of the scopes.

Cost $10 anywhere in Australia to post something, how much
to drive 280km, not counting the time. I just pay the postage
on shit nowadays, not worth driving around.

Just my HO.
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

james, I wasn't pointing the finger at gunshops either, let's just say that if they can't buy right, they can't sell right.
Regards Alpal
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

chris.tyne wrote:And what happen's when importation of firearm related equipment privately is prohibated altogether,I have on doubt that it will be when not if.

Regards Chris.
To answer your question:

Price of firearm related equipment doubles if not triples as there is no other option for consumers therefore we are screwed again. So the way I see it is take advantage of it whilst you can!

I am fairly certain that some certain distributor was working very closely with Australia Post when they banned the international postage of firearm parts (though reversed thanks to a few people).
Muscle_21

Post by Muscle_21 »

ive been using bushnell scopes for a while, as they appear to be the same quality as leupolds.

my bushnell 4200 seems the same as my mates VX III, and cost heaps less

I have no experiance with leupolds higher range model scopes, so i wont comment in that department, but overall their scope prices are bloody bullsh*t.

they can stick their gold ring up their ass.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Muscle_21 wrote:ive been using bushnell scopes for a while, as they appear to be the same quality as leupolds.

my bushnell 4200 seems the same as my mates VX III, and cost heaps less

I have no experiance with leupolds higher range model scopes, so i wont comment in that department, but overall their scope prices are bloody bullsh*t.

they can stick their gold ring up their ass.
pure eloquence! I've got 8 scopes for eight rifles, one is a loopy to see what the fuss is about but basically I agree with you!