Powder enquirey

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Stuie0
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Powder enquirey

Post by Stuie0 »

I know it's a long shot (no pun intended) but would anyone know what powder is used in this factory ammo?

I gather it's probably not listed anywhere cause they don't want it copied. I've looked on the msds sheet and it's not listed. It'll obviously be Winchester but which one.

Calibre .223Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Powder enquirey

Post by Camel »

Most likely candidate would be WW748 as its their main powder for smaller sized cases. But having said that, you can never be sure what they put in them, they can even use other manufacturers powders, maybe Hogdon, maybe ADI, maybe anything, you get my drift.

Pull one and see what shape, that way you will cut out most of the field, not as many make ball powder as those that make extruded powder.

Just curious as to why you would want to know the powder type ?? there are plenty of powders suitable for 223 loading, some would even be better suited. :D
Stuie0

Post by Stuie0 »

Camel wrote:Most likely candidate would be WW748 as its their main powder for smaller sized cases. But having said that, you can never be sure what they put in them, they can even use other manufacturers powders, maybe Hogdon, maybe ADI, maybe anything, you get my drift.

Pull one and see what shape, that way you will cut out most of the field, not as many make ball powder as those that make extruded powder.

Just curious as to why you would want to know the powder type ?? there are plenty of powders suitable for 223 loading, some would even be better suited. :D
Thanks Camel,

I only want to mimik this load as I shot out to 400m with it when zeroing my rifle and then found the other day it touches at 200m groups.

Im still finding the right amount of powder for my current loads as my seating depths are lowering pressures massively. Will keep tweaking them slowly but I'm struggling with a place to shoot them as often as I need.

Will crack one open later and see what I find.

(pictured: 3 shot group @200)Image

Stuie0

Post by Stuie0 »

Looks very simular to adi powder but the cylinders are slightly shorter.

I've never seem Winchester powder thoImage

Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

To me the granules in the photo could well be Reloader 7. It could also be a special blend they have made for them. Don't go on gestimates, as I said, there are plenty of powders around for the 223, and plenty of good loads available.
Stuie0

Post by Stuie0 »

Yes I totally agree with you on that one. There are too many variables to be playing around with.
Was just a thought anyway, I'll continue with my load devalopement.

cooper
Favourite Cartridge: 204

Post by cooper »

My go to round was the white box Winchester 45gr jacketed hollow point rounds. It was made it the USA. Now it is made in Australia and I found it was not the same load. Lost 100fps it was 3600fps out of a 24 inch barrel. The accuracy went down.

I started reloading. Tried the soft points. The didn’t shoot that well in my rifle either.

You’d think it would be a ADI powder if it was loaded in Australia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stuie0

Post by Stuie0 »

cooper wrote:My go to round was the white box Winchester 45gr jacketed hollow point rounds. It was made it the USA. Now it is made in Australia and I found it was not the same load. Lost 100fps it was 3600fps out of a 24 inch barrel. The accuracy went down.

I started reloading. Tried the soft points. The didn’t shoot that well in my rifle either.

But isn't Winchester powder made in Australia too?

trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

if that scale is an ebay no name brand you are a brave man!
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

trevort wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:29 pm if that scale is an ebay no name brand you are a brave man!
Ahhhh yeah.

Stick with known brands to extend the life of your Rifle and exclude plastic surgeons.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Stuie0 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:03 pm
cooper wrote:My go to round was the white box Winchester 45gr jacketed hollow point rounds. It was made it the USA. Now it is made in Australia and I found it was not the same load. Lost 100fps it was 3600fps out of a 24 inch barrel. The accuracy went down.

Who knows where it is made, maybe that is a question for Winchester themselves, though I doubt they will give you an answer one way or the other. The only powders I have seen from WW were ball powders and were very dark in colour, some of them weren't made by WW, I do not know if ADI even make ball type powders, I thought they only did extruded. They could be importing a special blend for their own use, they won't tell you.

Look, in all honesty it is useless trying to find what they use, you most likely won't be able to get it anyway.

:D
Stuie0

Post by Stuie0 »

trevort wrote:if that scale is an ebay no name brand you are a brave man!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with no name brand scales.

But in saying that I didn't just buy the first cheapy I saw, like everything I did my research before making the decision. And I also tested it thoroughly before loading anything.

That scale is rated to have very simular accuracy as your rcbs scale

.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

Stuie0 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:03 pm But isn't Winchester powder made in Australia too?
Winchester don't even make powder in the USA.
Winchester powder is actually owned by Hodgdon along with IMR and Goex, most of the Winchesters powders are manufactured by St Marks powder who are a subsidiary of General Dynamics.
Hodgdon sell it branded as Winchester and also under Hodgdon label with a different name in a lot of cases.
Stuie0

Post by Stuie0 »

Camel wrote:
Stuie0 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:03 pm

Who knows where it is made, maybe that is a question for Winchester themselves, though I doubt they will give you an answer one way or the other. The only powders I have seen from WW were ball powders and were very dark in colour, some of them weren't made by WW, I do not know if ADI even make ball type powders, I thought they only did extruded. They could be importing a special blend for their own use, they won't tell you.

Look, in all honesty it is useless trying to find what they use, you most likely won't be able to get it anyway.

:D
Haha yes this is all very true, I've given up on that idea now anyway.

I'll find my own recipe that hopefully works better.

mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

Stuie0 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:29 pm
trevort wrote:if that scale is an ebay no name brand you are a brave man!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with no name brand scales. Ahh yes there is, consistent accurate weights is a starting point.

But in saying that I didn't just buy the first cheapy I saw, like everything I did my research before making the decision. And I also tested it thoroughly before loading anything.
Good, but without a reference to what - thats like me saying 103gn of Rl17 is "safe in my rifle".

That scale is rated to have very simular accuracy as your rcbs scale

By whom?