Trigger locks & Lever actions?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Re: Trigger locks & Lever actions?

Post by Rabbitz »

DSD wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 pm Are you saying that rolled up in my swag in the back of the ute is not ok for transport?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Well maybe if you put a lock on the straps.

:)
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

DSD wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 pm Are you saying that rolled up in my swag in the back of the ute is not ok for transport?

Couldn't imagine anyone wanting to search a smelly old sway in the back of a ute*

*This is not legal advice.
Dunderi
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22-250

Post by Dunderi »

ewww.

I think we are even supposed to have them secured/disabled in the safe too.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Why not just remove the lever for transport?
I have never owned 1 and have no idea about anything to do with them buy my mate used to remove his marlin 30/30 lever every time we went away, from memory it was a fairly quick process.

The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

The lever isn't readily removed (typically). You'd need to remove the sliding bolt (and usually the receiver 'cover' for 22's) to disengage it from the lever, then whatever lever pivot and bits to get the lever out. Oh, and if you have a hammer extension that has to come off before everything else.

From a transport perspective it's about as practical as removing the trigger group on a bolt gun.
Dunderi
.308 Winchester

Post by Dunderi »

The Raven wrote:The lever isn't readily removed (typically). You'd need to remove the sliding bolt (and usually the receiver 'cover' for 22's) to disengage it from the lever, then whatever lever pivot and bits to get the lever out. Oh, and if you have a hammer extension that has to come off before everything else.

From a transport perspective it's about as practical as removing the trigger group on a bolt gun.
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

The Raven wrote:The lever isn't readily removed (typically). You'd need to remove the sliding bolt (and usually the receiver 'cover' for 22's) to disengage it from the lever, then whatever lever pivot and bits to get the lever out. Oh, and if you have a hammer extension that has to come off before everything else.

Fair enough, didn't take him long to do all that crap then.

The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

DSD wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 pm

There's probably some lever rifles where it can be done quickly.

I also suspect it *might* be possible to manually position the bolt without a lever in it and still fire the rifle. That would probably be a very silly/dangerous thing to try!
Dunderi
.308 Winchester

Post by Dunderi »

I will let you know what the bloke at the gunshop says when we pick it up monday, and what device (if any) he reccomends.

I do like the look of the American ones i put up before, but don't like that the "key" is a simple double spiked piece of metal, easy enough to duplicate.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Dunderi wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:40 am I will let you know what the bloke at the gunshop says when we pick it up monday, and what device (if any) he reccomends.

I do like the look of the American ones i put up before, but don't like that the "key" is a simple double spiked piece of metal, easy enough to duplicate.
Looking at how tight they fit the pictured rifle I'd suspect they are rifle model specific. Go the cheap cable type. No-one judges a rifle lock :)
Dunderi
.308 Winchester

Post by Dunderi »

The Raven wrote: Looking at how tight they fit the pictured rifle I'd suspect they are rifle model specific. Go the cheap cable type. No-one judges a rifle lock :)
Yes provided it's tight enough to inhibit the action, for sure.

I do like the idea of something that fits "just so" as where there is movement there may be damage from rubbing etc.

And once I get her beautiful, I intend to keep her that way.

Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

The Raven wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:07 pm
DSD wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 pm

There's probably some lever rifles where it can be done quickly.

I also suspect it *might* be possible to manually position the bolt without a lever in it and still fire the rifle. That would probably be a very silly/dangerous thing to try!
I remove the trigger group from my Martini for transport - a single pin and out she comes. Maybe it was a martini rather than a classic lever?
TheOtherLeft

Post by TheOtherLeft »

I use a plastic coated cable lock on my 1873. The cable is long enough to wrap twice around the wrist of the stock and provide a snug fit

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

DSD wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:52 pm Why not just remove the lever for transport?
I have never owned 1 and have no idea about anything to do with them buy my mate used to remove his marlin 30/30 lever every time we went away, from memory it was a fairly quick process.

Dave you certainly would not remove the lever from a BLR rack end pinion needs to be timed.
Gary