K&M arbor press

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
284win
Favourite Cartridge: .284

K&M arbor press

Post by 284win »

Do any of the forum members use this press with the force dial indicator??
If so, how did it perform??

thx
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Re: K&M arbor press

Post by Tony Z »

I have not used the K&M myself but years before it came about i used a Rimac valve spring tester we used on our race engines. A hydraulic pressure reading system in the base of the arbour that was very precise with load readings accurate to a lb.

My findings with cartridges like 284, 280 AI and 300 Redneck were inconclusive. At one point i purposely took the lowest and highest tensions i could get with bushing changes and shot them against batched tension. End result was no difference at 500 meters, back in those days when i still shot Fly. Actually one set with the extreme spreads shot a smaller group.
I scrapped that and concentrated on jacket bearing lengths where i could get far more consistent results with groups shifting POI, not changing group size unless the extremes were used, by segregating bullets in batches of a couple of thou.

As for smaller cartridges like PPC and 6BR i have no idea but i would be guided by Vaughn's results where his testing in a rail that he wrote about in his book was again inconclusive.
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Re: K&M arbor press

Post by RDavies »

I have had one for a few years but don't use it much.
The bellville washers are a bit too weak for the amount of seating pressure i use in my 7MMs, but is about right for 6MMs. I have not done extensive testing with it, but i did use it for 6 Dasher 1000yd lightgun to batch according to seating force. Though i usually use a regular arbor press for seating most rounds, i likely will still give it a go when i start shooting a 223 in F/TR and am trying everything i can to reduce ES/SD. Realisticaly though, you will ikely get enough feel using a regular arbor press.