Thermal optic Varminting

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Gatekeeper25
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Re: Thermal optic Varminting

Post by Gatekeeper25 »

Hi,
I have a Pulsar Trail XP50 thermal and a N970 night vision scope.
The thermal is awesome for locating targets at quite impressive range but I find that the IR scope gives a much better/clearer picture and it is therefore more easy to positively identify the target and accurately place your shot. I generally work in tandem with a mate, with one using the thermal as a handheld spotter, calling them in and the other shooting with the IR. For us, this works really well. That being said, the thermal is an amazing piece of gear. I am still impressed each time I use it with just what I can see. Obviously the bigger the animal the bigger the heat signature will be but it is quite simple to spot rabbits and foxes at 500m. At that range they are just a white dot but you definitely know where they are. It saves a lot of time previously spent walking or driving around waiting to see something. Locating the body afterwards is also much easier. How many times have you shot a fox at 250-300m then walked out and not found it? All the clumps of grass and bushes start to look the same. Nothing can hide from the thermal :D
barryb
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17 ackley hornet

Post by barryb »

Good stuff & informative TonyZ & Gatekeeper25.Thanks for the sharing.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Great first post gatekeeper do you have any videos you would like to share ?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

MISSED wrote:Great first post gatekeeper do you have any videos you would like to share ?
Yeah what he said. Welcome gatekeeper.
I’ll get on this bandwagon one day and a thermal monocular and a night vision scope is a lot cheaper than a thermal scopeImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

trevort wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:28 am
MISSED wrote:Great first post gatekeeper do you have any videos you would like to share ?
Yeah what he said. Welcome gatekeeper.
I’ll get on this bandwagon one day and a thermal monocular and a night vision scope is a lot cheaper than a thermal scopeImage

Well get onto it then, we can try them out when you come out in March. 8)
trevort
Spud Gun

Thermal optic Varminting

Post by trevort »

Hey I wish Camel. Next years project. Though I’m going to murica in nov and might try to show Kerriet the amazing bargains

Gatekeeper25
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Gatekeeper25 »

Thanks for the welcome. I've been enjoying the posts here for a while and finally found something that I felt I could contribute to. :D

If I had to do it again, I would save a few $$ and just buy the monocular rather than the rifle-scope, but I'm not too upset about it. It's a pretty cool toy.

I don't have much in the way of videos, just a few clips that aren't too interesting. One of these days I will figure out how to edit them together and make something worth sharing. Next time I am out I will make an effort to get some interesting video.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Gatekeeper25 wrote:Thanks for the welcome. I've been enjoying the posts here for a while and finally found something that I felt I could contribute to. :D

If I had to do it again, I would save a few $$ and just buy the monocular rather than the rifle-scope, but I'm not too upset about it. It's a pretty cool toy.

I don't have much in the way of videos, just a few clips that aren't too interesting. One of these days I will figure out how to edit them together and make something worth sharing. Next time I am out I will make an effort to get some interesting video.
Cheers

crackers17
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm dasher

Post by crackers17 »

A pic taken the other night .
Attachments
img_040.jpg
img_040.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 1349 times
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Looks like a Corgi there Crackers. :lol: :lol:
barryb
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17 ackley hornet

Post by barryb »

Hey Craig - can you tell us more ?
crackers17
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm dasher

Post by crackers17 »

What do u want to know. Haven't used it on gun yet.. Been in to minds if to keep it with lots of talk of poi shifting a lot..
A good place to read and watch videos is on Facebook pulsar thermal Australia.
Thermal hunting Australia

Some new updates have just came out today. Can record with sound
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

siacci wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:49 am Anyone have one of these. Obviously a cheaper unit than the Pulsar.
ATN MARS-HD 384-1.25-5x 384x288 19mm Thermal Rifle Scope.
Are they any good?

Dave
This is the scope i will be getting next except the 2-8 model. A mate has one and i have had a play and is very good value for money. Some of the features may never be used but are there if needed. Compared to my Apex75 it's a trade off. The 75 is lighter but bigger. The ATN is more compact but heavier. The ATN is more user friendly to a bolt gun. The Apex should really be on an M4 or a bolt gun with a 70 degree or less bolt lift as a 90 brings your hand too close to the zoom knob which occasionally gets moved.
If there is one thing going against the ATN is the coarse adjustment for zeroing at twice the click value for the Apex which is not that great if you're looking to set up for longer range shots. The other issue is the rangefinder. Great idea if all deer or pigs fit the stadia wires perfectly when they are full grown adult animals. As i said in a previous post, depth perception with thermal is bloody hard to near impossible in some circumstances. I walked past a deer i shot thinking it was a decent doe. The animal was a spiker about the size of an average dog at a far closer range than i thought it was. It looked fucking enourmous in the scope. It would have fit the stadia making it an incorrect range call as well. So for me without an actual laser readout the rangefinder is a gimmick that makes the screen far too busy.

The only caviat i put on thermal over NV is depth perception. That can be bloody tricky and why i will transfer the Apex to the 595 in 22/250 from the Mini 223 to have a very shallow point blank and head shoot the bigger critters. In scrub the distance is easier to pick. In open fields it becomes quite difficult with higher magnification making it even more difficult. What you don't realize is at distance under certain circumstances you see the animal slightly larger than it really is because of the heat halo. Very deceptive. To get good with thermal i reckon needs a lot of time and less magnification or a laser like cartridge.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 pm Looks like a Corgi there Crackers. :lol: :lol:
White hot mode inverts the 'colour'. It's a black panther. :wink:
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Looks like one of my Border Leicester rams...

Marcus