AIRGUN Field Target Competition - Hornsby Smallbore Range - Sun 21st May 2017

JWD
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .177

Post by JWD »

It's been too long and with Majura's success fresh in my mind let's kick this off again as a regular thing and get some good attendances to boost the sport.
FT COMP.jpg
Details below
Hornsby Field Target Social comp - all Welcome
Date: Sun 21st May 2017
Time: Arrive from 12:00 for a 1pm kickoff
Venue: North Sydney Smallbore and Air Rifle Club (part of Hornsby Rifle Range Complex, Rosamond St Hornsby)

Conduct of the day
We are running a layout that aligns with standard FT events but can be held in a small course (ie on the range rather than in the bush). Course layout is 5 different positions with a range of targets shot from each position at different ranges. Rifles will be chronoed into over/under 12ft-lbs to fit in with international rules. Shooters compete in teams of three where you take turns to shoot/score/time each other.

Shoot at a range of targets from 8 out to 50m.

This format was very successful for previous comps and goes a long way to helping grow the skills of newer shooters as well as grow the bonds between the air rifle fraternity.

As with last time, it's a friendly match with participation and creation of interest as the main goal of the day but making it a little more competitive for the more keen shooters.

There will also be opportunities prior to the day to attend practice for those interested in doing some extra training.

Hornsby Smallbore and Air Rifle Club is an all weather outdoor 50m range with a covered firing point so the event can still proceed if the weather is poor. Address is Rosamond St Hornsby

Costs
Cost for the day is $25 to cover range expenses, wear and tear on the targets, and a post match BBQ.

Refreshments
The club will provide the venue, and a BBQ afterwards.
Tea and coffee making facilities on site.
Soft drinks and snacks are available for purchase.

Equipment required
You need to bring your own air rifle and pellets. The club has a small supply of RWS Meister Kugeln pellets for sale.
The club also has a Scoped Break barrel air rifle for use and a couple of Anschutz 380 target air rifles (which are a little underpowered for long range but super accurate and fun)

We have 15 targets of different styles as well as some spinners and paper targets for sighting in.

Bookings
If you would like to attend the day, please email enquiries@northsydneysmallbore.org.au or PM me with the following information.

Subject Field target air rifle comp
Name:
Licence holder or P650:
Own equipment?

This will all be kept confidential and will allow me to get an idea of numbers.

The more people we can get to these events, the more the sport will grow, and the more the club will be interested in designing its infrastructure to suit a new shooting discipline (the club was traditionally ISSF so this is still new to them).

Look forward to seeing you there and bring a mate if you like as it's easy to accommodate new shooters when we use the 3 man team format.

Thanks
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Re: AIRGUN Field Target Competition - Hornsby Smallbore Range - Sun 21st May 2017

Post by stinkitup »

Thks for the heads up James,

I'll check the calendar and who I can drag along :)
mrwoospigs
Favourite Cartridge: 303/270

Re: AIRGUN Field Target Competition - Hornsby Smallbore Range - Sun 21st May 2017

Post by mrwoospigs »

Hoping to get there and I will bring my new Scorpion
JWD
.17 HMR

Post by JWD »

16 targets with their Mk2 shrouds (required for compliance) ready to go for next Sunday. Also solved the pole mounting issue so we have targets that can be mounted between 30m and 50m.
2017-05-14 18.09.54.jpg
2017-05-14 18.18.09.jpg
grmkc
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by grmkc »

Well done JD.
JWD
.17 HMR

Post by JWD »

Thanks Geoff. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find the star picket mounts that hold the boxes up. I'm using square section couch legs at the moment but theyre a little flimsy. I'm wondering if there is something ready made that would fit the bill. Something like the pic
images.jpg
images.jpg (4.75 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Check with Chris Dale. We had a few targets sitting in Doll Houses on stands in Tin Can Bay 2015

Can you please email me the above pics of squirrels in boxes. I'm having the same running battle with my small bore club.
JWD
.17 HMR

Post by JWD »

More work tonight. We now have 6 pole mount targets and 10 ground/fence mount targets so should be a good assortment of ranges to challenge everyone. Looking forward to getting back into the 30m+ shooting at Hornsby.
20170518_222243_resized.jpg
20170518_221845_resized.jpg
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

I Take it you found some of the mounts you were chasing? Was going to say steel pier tops look similar and smallest are 65x65 from memory.

Hoping to get down there on Sunday.
JWD
.17 HMR

Post by JWD »

Ended up making them myself. A few hours in the garage, some steel plate, square tube, a welder, and lots of cursing (shorts and welding doesnt mix too well) got the job done.

Now we just need people to want to shoot at them on a regular basis
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Looks like a good job from the pics. Will be there Sunday will be good to catch up with. Working on the Hunter Valley FT retreat. Slowly but surely.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

JWD
.17 HMR

Post by JWD »

Good work. I have a nice Hornet here too that needs some use :)
grmkc
.220 Swift

Post by grmkc »

Lacking a bit of lurving since the HW100 arrived huh?
JWD
.17 HMR

Post by JWD »

Just a little
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Those targets look bloody nicely made, just watch you don't burr over the top of the post when you knock them in. :D